Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
SAS's Chief Meteorologist
7,539 Posts
Yeah, Steve Colbert's a funny guy. I'd like to see him debate O'Reilly. Jon Stewart was able to hold his own against him last night, but didn't really go after him. Colbert would really piss off O'Reilly and that might be kind of funny to watch. :lol

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Now that I think of it, his whole act was kind of a parody of O'Reilly. and he just can't stop talking about balls.

·
SAS's Chief Meteorologist
7,539 Posts
BeNice said:
Yeah, he even kind of parodied O'Reilly, didn't he?
That's what I've heard other people say. I've only caught bits and pieces of O'Reilly's show, so I couldn't tell. He seems like a nasty SOB who just trashes his guests, so I've never watched it for more than a few minutes.

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Bill O'Reilly doesn't trash his guests; he just doesn't let them get a word in edgewise. :stu It does concern me sometimes even though a lot of the time, I do agree with him. That Colbert guy is funny, though. Mitre saw....ooh mitre saw :lol

·
Registered
191 Posts
Colbert is doing such a great mock-up of shows lik O'Reilly and Scarborough Country. My favorite thing he's done so far was answering the emails. That is exactly like what some of the other shows do. They'll answer a bunch of, "You're great!" type emails (although with a lot more words), and then they'll put a negative one up and focus on something arbitrary to discredit the entire thing. He's doing a lot better than I expected.

millenniumman75 said:
Bill O'Reilly doesn't trash his guests; he just doesn't let them get a word in edgewise. :stu
I don't know. I've seen O'Reilly have people's mics cut off before because he doesn't agree with what they're saying, or call them stupid or ignorant or whatever. I guess it's not really "trashing" them, but he's not necessarily respectful of them either.

·
Magnanimous carcinoma
6,888 Posts
I prefer the Daily Show, but I've only seen one episode of the Colbert Report. It'll probably grow on me.

·
Après moi, le déluge
5,682 Posts
I love the Daily Show and tried to watch the Colbert Report, but I could only stand about five minutes of it.

The sense of humor was really really mysoginist in a "this is geared toward junior high boys who are discovering that girls aren't really icky, but useful for something else entirely" kind of way.

I had to change the channel. It was one joke like that after another.

Have a nice day,
Kelly :)

·
Registered
282 Posts
The sense of humor was really really mysoginist in a "this is geared toward junior high boys who are discovering that girls aren't really icky, but useful for something else entirely" kind of way
I don't really think it's like that. I think, the delivery of the humor tends to be a little arrogant, because he's pardodying (how the heck do you spell parody-ing? It's too late for me) obnoxious commentators like O'Reiley and friends, but I don't really see any mysoginy...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hey, let's keep this thread alive!

I'm all about the Colbert Report. After spending the last year of my life watching mostly cable news shows and their opportunistic anchors, it's completely refreshing to see a truly "faux" news show making fun of everyone I've come to know and love. It's faux news the way it should be---advertised as entertainment instead of pretending to be real (or, "fair and balanced?").

Anyway, Steve is just funnier than Jon Stewart and more like an actual journalist, which in fact he really is. A show like this was just bound to come along, what with the popularity and pomposity of a guy like Bill O'Reilly...

·
Registered
272 Posts
Colbert Report seems solid so far, whenever I get the chance to see it. It's pretty brilliant satire, in my eyes, and I think anyone is fair game for Colbert - especially the fanatics. Viewers who dislike Colbert could possibly be taking him too seriously.

He exposes the levels of the ridiculousness in the news world today. I especially love his faux-arrogant strut each time he meets his studio guests. Funny stuff.

My two cents. Just keeping the thread alive - thumbs up, crucible. And, hey, nice avatar - but, wouldn't it be better if it was a majestic bald eagle?

·
Registered
76 Posts
friend_Z said:
thumbs up, crucible. And, hey, nice avatar - but, wouldn't it be better if it was a majestic bald eagle?
Thanks for the compliment, friend. But, as far as I see it, Stephen Colbert is the symbol of American freedom enough for me. He and that bald eagle are one in the same--they both stand for all the same values, morals, and principles...

Stephen Colbert is a breath of fresh, raw, American air! :banana

·
Registered
76 Posts
Good show tonight (Monday). "Truthiness." I'm definitely going to make that a part of my personal vernacular.

I loved how he just took the air right out of Nancy Grace's lungs when he said that judges aren't necessary because we have the President to decide on all of our laws. So great... :lol

(Disclaimer: Stephen Colbert is a very sarcastic, snarky kind of guy. Rather than being an actual news anchor, he's just a comedian by profession, so he is not to be taken seriously. The above paragraph was meant to exaggerate the likes of Fox News Channel's Bill O'Reilly and others who take their "conservativism" to the extreme. That's all. When viewed in that light, the show is rather humorous, I would think. You'll see what I mean. Thanks for taking the time to read me...)

·
Registered
64 Posts
I love the segment 'My Word.'

Then I saw one recent episode were he was giving his ending comments about the new Happy Holidays 'controversy' and said something like, "no matter what holiday you celebrate, Merry Christmas." That was sidesplitting genious hilarious.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Steven is a lot funnier than Jon Stewart, sad to say. I don't even watch the Daily Show anymore. The only thing, the only thing I don't like about Steven is when he interrupts his guest speakers. There was this one older woman politician on the show and he kept cutting her off and not in a I-meant-to-do-that-for-comic-timing type way. It was just rude. But that aside: You're my man, Steven! Go AMERICA!

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I really really like Stephen Colbert and was geekily excited when I found out he was getting his own show.

A few weeks ago, I was hanging around while my mom watched Oprah, and someone commented on the whole "truthiness" issue! Made my day. :)

Is anyone else wishing they'd actually publish Alpha Squad 7: Lady Nocturne: A Tek Jansen Adventure?
"The ethereal harmonies of the laserpipe orchestra echoed off the solid diamond walls of the Galactic Overlord's pleasure chamber. As I slowly made my way through the gyrating throng of human, plasmid, and arachnoid revelers, the arcanite sensors on my integrated detectograph started going haywire. 'Just as I thought,' I thought. 'She's here.'"

·
Registered
71 Posts
archaic said:
Is anyone else wishing they'd actually publish Alpha Squad 7: Lady Nocturne: A Tek Jansen Adventure?
The part about how cigarettes being good for healing wounds.... and aphrodisiac, was hillarious? :lol

This website kind of focuses on how each of his bits are different parodies of arrogant pundits and their tactics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Colber ... g_elements

The shows much smarter than TDS, IMHO.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts