Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Have you read

• The Iliad or The Odyssey by Homer (all of one or both)

Votes: 22 64.7%
  • Any play by Aeschylus, Sophocles, or Euripides that was not part of the Oedipus Rex cycle

Votes: 11 32.4%
  • Oedipus Rex, Oedipus at Colonus and/or Antigone by Sophocles

Votes: 12 35.3%
  • Any play by Aristophanes or Plautus

Votes: 5 14.7%
  • Anything by Herodotus or Thucydides

• At least one whole dialogue by Plato

Votes: 23 67.6%
  • Any Aristotle

Votes: 18 52.9%
  • Anything by Sappho or Hesiod

Votes: 8 23.5%
  • Meditations of Marcus Aurelius

• The Aeneid by Vergil

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • Anything by Cicero

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • Anything by Plutarch, Tacitus or Suetonius

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • Anything by Apuleius or Petronius

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Anything by Ovid or Catullus

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • Anything by Horace or Juvenal

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • Other philosophical text

Votes: 19 55.9%
  • Other historical text

• Other poetic work

• Other play

Votes: 11 32.4%
  • Other work (medical, mathematical, or just another literary genre)

Votes: 14 41.2%
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
resident classicist
4,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My goal in this is to see how many of y'all are acquainted with classics. And by classics I mean the works of Ancient Greece and Rome.

I'm a classics major, so I'm kind of an outlier and my results are irrelevant and completely expected. But I'm actually not a very well-read classics major, to be quite honest, in comparison to others.

I've never read - the entire Odyssey, nor anything by Euripides, Aristophanes, Herodotus, Thucydides, Aristotle, Suetonius, or Apuleius.

Sorry if this seems a little haphazard, but I was genuinely curious about this. Is this something that really very few people have ever encountered or do more people than I assume read works from the classical past?

·
Banned
728 Posts
I've encountered philosophical stuff in martial arts movies and text.

Just look at my sig, its by bruce lee.

I always preferred asian philosophy.

·
Après moi, le déluge
5,682 Posts
Does it make me sound snobby to admit I've read most of those? I'm a history Ph.D. student after all...

And I hate Cicero. Hate him. Major hate.

Have a nice day,
Kelly :)

·
Banned
177,222 Posts
I rarely read books but when I do they're usually sci-fi.

·
unashamed perv
1,786 Posts
I wish I'd had a chance to study Greek and Latin at school. I've read a few things in translation, mainly so that I can say I have, but I didn't inhale...er, I mean, enjoy it, or remember it :/ Drat, I didn't see Catullus on the list - I love his poetry, and Sappho's too, but the rest, not so much fun.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
I probably read a tiny bit of a few of them in high school. Literature/English/languages rank VERY low on my list of academic interests. I did all I could to avoid having to read any literature in HS. In college the only English class I took was Business Writing -- and only because it was required for all business major. I also never took any history courses in college -- they are way down on my list of interests too.

Of course, I bet very few of you took advanced investment finance as I did.

·
crazy
2,067 Posts
I really like what I've read of Plato, and some of Ovid's Metamorphoses - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metamorphoses

I wish they had taught at least half a year of various readings from the Greeks and Romans in high school, instead of just focusing on the Odyssey, or Edith Hamilton's versions of the myths. But maybe the originals were just too racy (eg Ovid). :)

·
resident classicist
4,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Does it make me sound snobby to admit I've read most of those? I'm a history Ph.D. student after all...

And I hate Cicero. Hate him. Major hate.

Have a nice day,
Kelly :)
I love Cicero. I used to hate him, because of the complicated grammar he loves to throw about, but I've recently started appreciating how well he writes and how cleverly he phrases things. He's one of the few authors I listed that I've never read in translation, I couldn't really imagine it.

Might I ask why you hate him?

·
subtastic
7,692 Posts
I haven't read any classics. The only Latin thing I'm acquainted with is my grade 11 Latin textbook. Here it is a sample for amusement purposes:

For whatever reason, I remember nothing of my first year university Latin class. Not enough pictures, I suppose.

·
SAS Member
4,609 Posts
I’ve read all of Ion, which just happens to be the shortest of Plato’s dialogues. :blank

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.