Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
61 - 80 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
---------------------------- ▓▓▓▓Groovy▓▓▓▓
7,818 Posts
My buddy, he is always there hanging out with me.

He needs his nails trimmed again, I am always paranoid that I will hurt him so we take him to a pet shop that does it. The dude is my best friend, and you can actually tell when he is smiling, his eyes brighten up and he has the most dorky of expressions which always brings a smile to my face.

He actually adopted us, a few years ago. My family and I went out to get philly cheesesteaks and when we got home, he was laying near my boat wagging his tail, his poor fur was in ruins with large splotches missing, he was skinny, and tired. I gave the dude my sub, and water and thus the bond was formed. He stayed in our yard for a few weeks, while we searched for his owners, putting out flyers and even hitting the local facebook group, but there were no responses. Every day when I got back from work, he would run from the back yard to greet me. At night, he would stare into our house from our sliding glass door, but I was worried to let him in with my much smaller dog and kids. Eventually though, we let him into our house, and then took him to a vet and checked for a chip - there was none. I refused to give him a proper name, because at the time I did not want another dog and was sure someone owned him and would claim him, so I settled for JD as in John Doe and that is what we called him since.

Last week, I stayed at my parents for two nights, and was told he mostly stayed by the front door waiting for me. There is a lot to be said of the genuine love a pet feels for their owner, and I appreciate it. Now I got to go over to him and give him a smooch on his big dorky nose 🙃

·
Registered
143 Posts

He needs his nails trimmed again, I am always paranoid that I will hurt him so we take him to a pet shop that does it. The dude is my best friend, and you can actually tell when he is smiling, his eyes brighten up and he has the most dorky of expressions which always brings a smile to my face.

He actually adopted us, a few years ago. My family and I went out to get philly cheesesteaks and when we got home, he was laying near my boat wagging his tail, his poor fur was in ruins with large splotches missing, he was skinny, and tired. I gave the dude my sub, and water and thus the bond was formed. He stayed in our yard for a few weeks, while we searched for his owners, putting out flyers and even hitting the local facebook group, but there were no responses. Every day when I got back from work, he would run from the back yard to greet me. At night, he would stare into our house from our sliding glass door, but I was worried to let him in with my much smaller dog and kids. Eventually though, we let him into our house, and eventually took him to a vet and checked for a chip - there was none. I refused to give him a proper name, because at the time I did not want another dog and was sure someone owned him and would claim him, so I settled for JD as in John Doe and that is what we called him since.

Last week, I stayed at my parents for two nights, and was told he mostly waited by the front door waiting for me. There is a lot to be said of the genuine love a pet feels for their owner, and I appreciate it. Now I got to go over to him and give him a smooch on his big dorky nose 🙃
Thats so nice that he picked you. Sounds like he knew where to go. Think animals can be good detectors of people. Lovely how loyal he is. Maybe he really enjoyed that subway too. 🥣

·
Registered
424 Posts
@zonebox That is exactly why I don’t want another dog ever again. I know how it,is I have been among dogs all my life. They wait for you, they miss you and all they want is to be with you 24/7. I too enjoy that company a lot but it also pains me to leave the house because I know the dog is waiting for me, maybe even wondering if I will return or not… They are the kindest creatures in existence but so vulnerable and needy.
If I knew for sure I would never have to bother making a living I would opt for a dog but that is impossible.

Still I am a cat person though, love their independence and attitude.

·
Registered
517 Posts

He actually adopted us, a few years ago. My family and I went out to get philly cheesesteaks and when we got home, he was laying near my boat wagging his tail, his poor fur was in ruins with large splotches missing, he was skinny, and tired. I gave the dude my sub, and water and thus the bond was formed. He stayed in our yard for a few weeks, while we searched for his owners, putting out flyers and even hitting the local facebook group, but there were no responses. Every day when I got back from work, he would run from the back yard to greet me. At night, he would stare into our house from our sliding glass door, but I was worried to let him in with my much smaller dog and kids. Eventually though, we let him into our house, and then took him to a vet and checked for a chip - there was none. I refused to give him a proper name, because at the time I did not want another dog and was sure someone owned him and would claim him, so I settled for JD as in John Doe and that is what we called him since.

Last week, I stayed at my parents for two nights, and was told he mostly stayed by the front door waiting for me. There is a lot to be said of the genuine love a pet feels for their owner, and I appreciate it. Now I got to go over to him and give him a smooch on his big dorky nose 🙃
So glad he found you.

I once found a dog in the field near our house, took him to the vet to be scanned - he was chipped but the vet couldn't disclose the address and they weren't answering their phone. I'd already seen the street name on the vets computer so we knocked door to door to reunite him with his owners.

I asumed that the people would be over the moon to see him, but they couldn't care less, in fact they looked quite put out that he had been returned. He had awful diarrhoea and their garden/house was dirty and a complete tip.

If we hadn't had our own 2 dogs I would have kept him.

I have no idea why some people get pets.

Reactions: zonebox

·
Registered
517 Posts
@zonebox That is exactly why I don’t want another dog ever again. I know how it,is I have been among dogs all my life. They wait for you, they miss you and all they want is to be with you 24/7. I too enjoy that company a lot but it also pains me to leave the house because I know the dog is waiting for me, maybe even wondering if I will return or not… They are the kindest creatures in existence but so vulnerable and needy.
If I knew for sure I would never have to bother making a living I would opt for a dog but that is impossible.

Still I am a cat person though, love their independence and attitude.
We have two. Other than for 2 hours on a morning (when our shifts overlap) there is usually someone at home.

Once I came home early, they were both laid on the sofa with sleepy eyes looking at me as if to say - what are you doing home? Why have you woken us up? I'd never have just one now, they obviously keep each other company.

In fact, during lock down I swear they would look at us as if to say - why are you still at home? Would you please go out, we need some time to ourselves.

·
Registered
424 Posts
@Unforgiven17
yes it all depends on what they’re used to. The dog I have now has never been alone as I don’t work. When he doesn’t see me in the garden for 1 minute he starts searching me lol
I agree, one dog gets lonely. My dog initially had a friend but she passed away, he never got used to sleeping alone since.
I think people who would like to own a dog should get one from a dog shelter, too much people get dogs only to get rid of them some time later. I don’t understand this, where is the responsibility and empahthy?

Anyway no dog for me anymore, I have to try to get my life on track and another dog would make it impossible.

·
Administrator
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
These wooden things are for wearing on your thumb to make it easier to hold your book open, but it would cover up the writing where it sits, and it would make it harder to turn the pages. I saw one for $26. They seem pointless, but most of the reviews are good.

• Love
Reactions: iAmCodeMonkey

·
Registered
517 Posts
That does seem pointless, however I don't have time to get engrossed in books to the point where I would need one.

Maybe if you are constantly reading and need to do something with your other hand in between page turning it may be useful???

Or perhaps if you only have the use of one hand or if you have only one hand it may be useful???

61 - 80 of 100 Posts