Votes: 29 67.4%
  • No.

Votes: 14 32.6%
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
og 2003 club
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody else find this offensive when white people use it, even jokingly in the casual form? I got into an argument on chat and nobody seems to think it is offensive but me. Please tell me there will be at least one other yes vote than me. So far I'm at least 20-0 on this one.

Is it free speech? Are people like me giving the word power by antagonizing it? Or is it just a tasteless word to use. Please vote.

·
Registered
4 Posts
that n word

I don't think you are wrong not to use it and I think some people especially young people. Have turn the N word into a "trendy" word that they say without thinking about it. I think its all about intent when you use it. I don't agree with its casual use of the word, but I know in urban culture it can be a term closely related to friend or family and in other culture a derogatory word being feelings of hate and hurt.

·
jaynex10
1,529 Posts

·
Fall 7 times, stand up 8.
8,916 Posts
I think casual use is fine if someone is clearly not trying to display prejudice. I've been called a cracker and a honky by black people. You don't see me complaining to anyone. Of course that also has something to do with the fact that no one cares unless it's a minority that's belittled.

·
Registered
154,233 Posts
Does anybody else find this offensive when white people use it, even jokingly in the casual form? I got into an argument on chat and nobody seems to think it is offensive but me. Please tell me there will be at least one other yes vote than me. So far I'm at least 20-0 on this one.

Is it free speech? Are people like me giving the word power by antagonizing it? Or is it just a tasteless word to use. Please vote.
Yes, Mr. Jones, it is still offensive.

·
og 2003 club
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think casual use is fine if someone is clearly not trying to display prejudice. I've been called a cracker and a honky by black people. You don't see me complaining to anyone. Of course that also has something to do with the fact that no one cares unless it's a minority that's belittled.
but cracker isn't offensive so its kind of like apples and oranges. (irrelevant)

if you joke around with a black person and use the n word, they would probably be a little offended even if they didn't let it on. not always, but most likely. why use the word? aren't there plenty of other words to use if you are not black? homie, boy, etc...

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
I've been called a cracker and a honky by black people. You don't see me complaining to anyone. Of course that also has something to do with the fact that no one cares unless it's a minority that's belittled.
1. If you are a "cracker" then you would be a minority. Look at the world's population and note how only about 1 in 12 residents of earth are of white European ancestry.

2. I wouldn't care if someone decided to disparage my ancestry. The way one reacts tells you a lot about how they feel about themselves. It would be impossible for somebody to make me feel bad about being of German, French, and Danish ancestry. If you can upset someone with comments about their background, doesn't it tell you that they're not real comfortable with their own background?

You have to hit upon a sore subject to upset somebody. Consider how it would be impossible to effectively insult a man by spreading rumors about how he has a penis of above average size. I can't imagine many men getting angry about such rumors circulating (whether accurate or not).

·
og 2003 club
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You have to hit upon a sore subject to upset somebody. Consider how it would be impossible to effectively insult a man by spreading rumors about how he has a penis of above average size. I can't imagine many men getting angry about such rumors circulating (whether accurate or not).
What if they are insulting your family? Not an exception? Would you defend a friend? A girlfriend? Or would you laugh it off as just a joke? I'm not black, but yeah, its a sore subject. For a lot of people.

·
Fall 7 times, stand up 8.
8,916 Posts
but cracker isn't offensive so its kind of like apples and oranges. (irrelevant)

if you joke around with a black person and use the n word, they would probably be a little offended even if they didn't let it on. not always, but most likely. why use the word? aren't there plenty of other words to use if you are not black? homie, boy, etc...
Who says it's not an offensive term though? I think there are many words that can turn offensive when the person saying it has malevolent intentions.

Yeah I know, and I try to be culturally sensitive around black people in terms of using that word as a joke. I just feel like it's become like walking on eggshells so the whole racism card isn't played on me.

·
Registered
18,888 Posts
It's a disgusting word regardless of who uses it and shows a great deal of ignorance, immaturity, and intolerance in a person.

It blows my mind that people think it's OK to throw it around like it's nothing, particularly when it's coming from a white person.

Even when black people use it casually, I don't think they're doing themselves any favours, although I suppose that's their own prerogative.

Who says it's not an offensive term though?
'Cracker' is an offensive term. It's racial hate speech. Just because it's made against a white person doesn't make it any less hateful or offensive.

·
Wonderland
10,619 Posts
Whats the difference between a black person saying the 'N' word and a white?

I find the word gross either way and think no one should really be throwing it around like I hear it being thrown around.. :stu ... I wont say it .. and I'd wish people around me would not either - but ehh 'freedom of speech' I guess.

·
The Lonely Cowboy
707 Posts
I think it's still offensive. That doesn't stop me from saying it all the time. It's fun to say and it makes me laugh. But would I use the word to purposely hurt somebody? Absolutely not.

·
Penguin
4,506 Posts
hahaha.

One of my favourite ways to offend white middle class Americans not quite over their history of slavery and segregation (odd, seeing as how we Europeans shipped those slaves over in the first place and yet nobody of any ethnicity is anything like so bothered as our cross-atlantic cousins).

No it isn't offensive, except when used by racists in a racist context. A word in of itself, devoid of context, is not capable of being offensive except to the irrational.

·
Swedish Feminist
3,286 Posts
I've always thought the term cracker was just a black person's lame way of getting back at white people, but as a word meant to instantly put someone in his/her place it's nowhere as effective as the word ******.

Which is a bit odd. You would think after all its usage throughout the decades the word ****** would've become less and less offensive instead of more and more so.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I just dont use the word seeing as many people around me (of every ethnic background) find it offensive and i hate offending people.

There was a girl in my class called lisa and her friend said it in front of her 3 year old sister, who then went around shouting it at the top of her lungs. Lisas family got a lot of interesting looks and comments for a long time...

·
roivas yromem eerf lla
2,487 Posts
Some education
jigger=yes....... jegro=little bit less.................jigga= no, see below

Still if your not friends dont even bother. Just like any other foul word, If you call someone a ***** and you dont know em its not going to be friendly.
depends on what wheather the word is used in.
Not everybody is fine with being called a *****, cracker, or *****

·
Banned
3,869 Posts
the only n word that I know=******???

we use another word=servants/slaves,,, of course it's offensive.

but during my whole life I don't remember anyone saying it!! only over the internet!

==========
in this country talking about citizens races/backgrounds=redline,, it's like playing with fire,,,,

it's not always whites vs. blacks!!! Asians r not any better!!!

sometimes I feel that blacks r sensitive,,,, but I'm against using them as an easy target

1 - 20 of 67 Posts