Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
this is my first post here...
I'm not sure where to start but I will leave out a lot of things and just say that there's this one big issue in my social phobia that I can't seem to deal with and that's a job.
My first job at 14 I was utterly shy and (like always) told to smile more etc. she stopped putting me on shifts and I quit because I was moving but it was because I couldn't deal with it.
Second job was (i think) at this place and i got it and didn't turn up to one of the training day's because I was too anxious (never called or anything).
Third job I got and after a week or so I didn't turn up to one of my shift's because the constant anxiety was getting to me (never called or anything).
Fourth job (after group therapy) ended up working there for about 5-ish months (huge achievement) however i dreaded work and it was a constant anxiety. I was given all these complaints because I was apparently abrupt and rude (I definitely know I'm not like that it's just everything in my head) and was constantly told to smile and talk more etc. (it just wasn't the job for me).. I ended up quitting as quickly as I could before uni (huge achievement) because the minimum hours were too much (which wasn't right, I was just in denial, I didn't want a job).
ANYWAY... it's this huge issue I can't get over and I feel it's going to be eternal I don't feel like it's just social phobia I feel like it's just me in general and my temperament etc. PLEASE SOMEONE.. advice??? I'm on medication but that hasn't helped... i feel like i'm failing at life

·
Registered
210 Posts
I'm thinking it's not just you because I do the same thing. Job problems are not unusual at all in socially anxious people. I usually get better after having the job for a while but it also depends on the people I'm working with. I'm thinking u aren't comfortable in customer service/retail which lessens your options, I used to work at a bakery and they'd make me walk around outside offering samples. Omg I used to just tip the damn samples out and wait for a bit then go back! Maybe u need a job as a receptionist. U mostly work by urself but u have to answer the phone. But only to ppl who wana be put through to other ppl.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts