Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, I've written a blog post on how to use the Behavioral Experiment, aka experimental technique. Basically, you challenge your automatic thoughts by creating a behavioral exercise to see if it is true. I've been doing this exercise and it has helped me a lot! Anyway, check it out as it doesn't take too long to read and it is very simple to understand.

·
Banned
497 Posts
Today, I've written a blog post on how to use the Behavioral Experiment, aka experimental technique. Basically, you challenge your automatic thoughts by creating a behavioral exercise to see if it is true. I've been doing this exercise and it has helped me a lot! Anyway, check it out as it doesn't take too long to read and it is very simple to understand.
very interesting and impressive stuff. i tink you are definately one person who has it in them to overcome SA. you have all the knowledge you need and ifyou are wlling to try things and create bloggs then you have it into take action. i think creating a blog is a great idea cos when you go public you have moremotivation to follow through on your plans cos you are makig yourself accountable for yur actions

can i ask were you get all o your knowlegde from. for instance i notice were you say tere are 4 types of belefis and thy are in catagorys. i did not know this. i knew there weredifferent types of automatic thoughts e.g mind reading, fortune telling, catastrophizimng etc.. but i didnt know there was different caagorys for beleifs as it doesnt mention this in gillian butlers book

·
Banned
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
very interesting and impressive stuff. i tink you are definately one person who has it in them to overcome SA. you have all the knowledge you need and ifyou are wlling to try things and create bloggs then you have it into take action. i think creating a blog is a great idea cos when you go public you have moremotivation to follow through on your plans cos you are makig yourself accountable for yur actions

can i ask were you get all o your knowlegde from. for instance i notice were you say tere are 4 types of belefis and thy are in catagorys. i did not know this. i knew there weredifferent types of automatic thoughts e.g mind reading, fortune telling, catastrophizimng etc.. but i didnt know there was different caagorys for beleifs as it doesnt mention this in gillian butlers book
Thank you! That blog post about the four different categories of beliefs is based on REBT (Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy). At the time I wrote that blog, I was really into it from reading Albert Ellis's The Myth of Self-Esteem and How to Make Yourself Happy and Remarkably Less Disturbable. Now these days, I'm focusing more on using Exposure Therapy alone as I have found research that supports its effectiveness in treating SAD.

Anyway, here are my sources:

a) The Shyness and Social Anxiety Workbook by Antony, PhD and Swinson, MD

b) The Feeling Good Handbook by David D Burns, MD

c) Change your Thinking by Sarah Edelman, PhD

·
Banned
497 Posts
Thank you! That blog post about the four different categories of beliefs is based on REBT (Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy). At the time I wrote that blog, I was really into it from reading Albert Ellis's The Myth of Self-Esteem and How to Make Yourself Happy and Remarkably Less Disturbable. Now these days, I'm focusing more on using Exposure Therapy alone as I have found research that supports its effectiveness in treating SAD.

Anyway, here are my sources:

a) The Shyness and Social Anxiety Workbook by Antony, PhD and Swinson, MD

b) The Feeling Good Handbook by David D Burns, MD

c) Change your Thinking by Sarah Edelman, PhD
i have the sa workbook by p swinson, its a great book. ill be sure to get the other 2 though as well

1 - 4 of 4 Posts