Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I wasn't looking forward to going to the family gathering today, but it was actually successful this time (as in I didn't feel alone in a crowded house).

I just walked in, sat down next to my cousin, ACTUALLY TALKED to a few people, laughed at some witty comments, made some witty comments, enjoyed the Packer game (although I hate the Packers) and just felt...content. I wasn't looking for an excuse to leave and I didn't get pit-stains for like the first time ever (has always happened when I feel anxious).

I kind of just went in with the mentality of "I'm a loner already so I have nothing to lose" and just went with what people were saying. See, usually when someone makes a general comment, I'll form an opinion but shy away from actually saying it. I just kind of said "**** it. I'm saying it" and just talked.

It felt gooood.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
WOW!

That is wonderful. Congratulations on your social triumph.

That is the attitude I need to take, accept that I am a hopeless loner who has nowhere to go but up.

Perhaps pretend that I am in a scene in a comedy where I am required to act out of character.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm happy to hear your success story. I'll try that "nothing to lose" mentality next time. Congrats on a successful day, thanks for sharing your story!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is the attitude I need to take, accept that I am a hopeless loner who has nowhere to go but up.
It works because you just start talking.

Things you would normally hold back (even simple opinions) start to fly out of your mouth.

For instance, we were watching the Packer game and I just felt the urge to say "Someone just needs to break Aaron Rogers' legs already." I would normally not say this because I would sound like a jerk, but I let it go. People actually laughed and agreed. Had SA held me back, I never would've had the confidence boost.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts