Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Constantly on Edge
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off let me apologize if there is already a post about this, I'm just a wee bit new to this whole forum thing.

I'm 24yrs old and have never had a job before, yes I know its a wee bit sad that someone my age has gone this long without ever working. No I'm not spoiled, just severely anxious and scared to death about being out there and being around people. I absolutely hate being in crowds and dealing with people in general. I know in this day and age with our economy and the lack of jobs out there, I really cannot afford to be picky. But its not like I wanna be a lazy bum and never work. I don't know what to do, I'm scared but I want money so I can live a comfortable life. Don't get me wrong, I've done my fair share of job hunting since the age of 16. But for unknown reasons, I can never get hired. At the start of my job hunting I was very shy during interviews and never looked people in the eye. I understand that is what most likely prevented me from getting a job then, but the past 3yrs I've improved quite a bit and have been looking them in the eye and smiling a lot being friendly and positive. It's out of my element to act that way towards strangers but in cases like that, I don't have a choice. Anyways I would just like some advice on what to do and how to deal with this gut wrenching anxiety. :sigh

·
Permanently Baned
2,594 Posts
Welcome!

Don't need to reply if these are personal questions, but do you have some post secondary schooling or certifications (such as A+ cert) that you either already have or can strive toward? Again, no need to reply if too personal.

Also, do you have friends that are mildy successful who can pull you into an industry?

I struggle with interview process but had to compensate in other areas (such as getting extra degrees/certs) and often got people to refer me into the door of companies.

Also, many people around here will say this too: A good "agent" from the contract/temporary firm may help you get interviews or may even help coach you on how to answer interview questions.

·
Allons-y!
2,011 Posts
Have you tried volunteering? It would be a good way to boost up your resume and you can get a taste of what being in a work environment is like. There are lots of places that need people to help out and you could try different things to get comfortable with different duties.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts