Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's see, I don't know what is the right question to ask here... Who else here is scared of working like of death itself...maybe not so much the communication aspect of it, but also the constant worry over being watched and observed, over not knowing whether they'll fire you or not, over this feeling that every day is a test, and you just can't relax....every cell in your body is in distress every single minute on the job, maybe except on the lunch break. Talk of complete burn-out!

I haven't worked in over a year because of this and PTSD....

And is there maybe anyone who overcame this fear....and how did you do it?

·
"Semi-retired" SAS Member
1,006 Posts
Yes! Everything you have listed exactly describes feelings I have experienced at work. Some days/weeks/months are worse than others.

But I always have a dread fear that every little mistake, every little missed cue, is being marked down on some tally somwhere. And that one of these days, maybe tomorrow, maybe 9 days from now or 2 years from now, my boss will just up and fire me because he has finally tired of my utter incompetence.

My biggest immediate worry is the end of my six month probationary period, which is December 27. Around that time I am supposed to have my first performance evaluation, basically when the boss decides how competent I actually am, and whether I'm worth keeping or not.

How do I deal with it? Well, the (probably unsatifactory) answer is, I just have to. I have to help support my immediate family. Even though my wife makes most of the money, but we still couldn't get by without the income I bring in. When things are rough, I just think of my little boy. I try to get by one day at a time. If things are going to hell one day, the next is likely to be better. I am what I am, and I do the best I can possibly do with the mental baggage I have. If I get fired, well, at least people in my family (esp. my mother) can't deride me for being a "quitter".... :stu

·
Registered
16 Posts
I can totally emathize with your situations. Right now I am going through a "am I good enough for my job" phaze that has been killing me. I feel as if everyday spent at work is complete torture because someone is always judging or I just make a complete *** of myself in front of clients. I am having a hard time just saying "hi" to people with out feeling as though it wasnt in the right tone (silly huh). I wish I could put this energy to use in more productive ways but it seems like all my mind wants to do is cling to these feelings of anxiety. I just hope everything gets better so I can actually perform at the level I know I am capable of.

Jason

·
Registered
154,233 Posts
The interpersonal stuff I struggle with big time, but the job itself is manageable (thank God!) I did reasonably well in my last performance evaluation but it was only for the first four months I was there. The next one will be for the whole year 2005. :afr

1 - 4 of 4 Posts