Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I'm incredibly afraid of people and I really have no choice but to study some A-Levels from here, so, basically, can you do A-Levels from home without a tutor? I'm fine with my mum overseeing me, though she works part time. Would sciences be a problem without lab access?

Honestly, I don't know what to do from here. I'm currently at the last year of secondary school (we don't have a sixth form here which is the big problem) and we have to apply for one before the end of the year. I'm thinking about talking to the careers woman but she's completely ignorant. I know for a fact she won't understand the SA side of things and she'll tell me to "grow up and face it like a man" which for obvious reasons I can't, at all, and she'll likely act like it never happened.

On the tutor note, having some jasper jobsworth come into my house and tell me how to do things I won't ever do again, ever, is out of the question. I can't stand people outside my immediate family coming into my house/room, it's kind of like rape (on the violation of boundaries side of things)

I simply can't face the concept of having to catch a bus with people I don't know, go to a school where popularity reigns (with more people i don't know), and generally face day-to-day school life with beautifully obnoxious people. I know I simply won't last without completely breaking down. It's like throwing myself to the lions.

halp.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I think there are some distance learning A-levels, but I do think sciences would be a problem without access to lab equipment. I ended up studying some of my AS levels at home at the end of year 12 when I got depression and quit college. I then returned to sixth form the next year and had to retake one subject due to missing english literature classes where the class discussions were rather more important to the course than I had realized. Then in year 13, I dislocated my knee and it was in plaster for a while and I couldn't face going into sixth form for a while so missed loads and had to study at home. And another time I missed classes because of depression. I passed but I'm not sure how I would have done had I done it all by myself with no lesson from teachers and insight from the other students.

My college and sixth form were both not too far from me do I didn't have to deal with the bus thing, but to be honest, it didn't really seem there was a major popularity contest at either, but maybe it didn't seem like it to me since I wasn't there much and at lunch times I went home or sat in the library.

I'm really sorry that you don't feel you'd be able to cope with sixth form, but please think about it some more. If you have to do A-levels, it's the best place to go. If you shut yourself away from the world already, your SA will likely only get worse. If you do decide to go, it won't be easy, it's not easy for anyone, but with SA it can be unpleasant. I felt like a complete outsider the whole two years, even though my friend since year 7 went there too, but it really doesn't have to be that way for you. Sixth formers might be a bit obnoxious but they aren't lions.

Talk to the careers woman. Yes, career people do tend to be completely useless but pigs might fly and she might be some help.

Hope everything goes ok for you :)

·
herp derp
2,347 Posts
Like WhiteRabbit said, shutting yourself at home is not going to solve anything and it is just going to make the problem worse. By shutting yourself at home, you are neither solving the problem nor getting rid of it. If you think about it, you have almost nothing to lose and almost everything to gain - we are blessed with the opportunity to be given free education and if you go to college, you may be able to gain a little confidence, increase your social skills and even get a few friends. Also, if you explain to your college your situation, they may be able to provide you with some help (like giving you a buddy for example or telling teachers not to pick on you. If it gets really bad and you feel that you can't cope, maybe then you could consider dropping out.

College is not as bad as it sounds - people are generally more mature than at secondary school and plus, you have alot more freedom so at lunch times, you can go out somewhere rather than having to eat in the canteen or whatever like at secondary school.
As for the bus, maybe you could try listening to your mp3 and staring out at the window to help "shut out the world" - usually helps for me :).

As for your original question, I don't know your financial situation but maybe you could try finding out an adult learning centre (I think thats what theyre called) near your area that teach the A level course - However, I do not think the teaching is as good as it would be at college but classrooms are probably alot smaller and you'll mostly be with adults. Since your mum works part time, you probably will be able to qualify for EMA and use that to pay for it as, like Whiterabbit said, pretty much for any course, just having a text book is not enough at A level.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts