Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes it seems like I am happier and can do things better in general when the temperature is a certain way. A few days ago it was about 75, and I just felt really good. I know small things like colors can have an affect on your mood, but the temperature thing really seemed to work at making me happier that day. Does this happen to anyone else?

·
Banned
776 Posts
Does this happen to anyone else?
Yes, with both temperature and weather in general. I cannot stand being too hot, I'd rather be freezing. I also seem to be much more sensitive to heat than other people (I start sweating very easily). If the weather is cold I tend to feel better. Same thing when it's raining and/or very windy compared to a calm sunny day.

·
Banned
5,875 Posts
I always feel better emotionally in the winter time. I like to breathe in the cold air and feel it fill my lungs. It makes me feel at peace for some reason. And hot chocolate is always nice :)

·
Registered
154 Posts
Summer and warm days can make people feel better. In winter, people can sometimes suffer from SAD (seasonal affective disorder). I guess the shorter days and the cold can do that. It is pretty depressing to leave work at 5:30 and it's already dark because how much daylight are you really out in then during the work week?

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I noticed just how good the semi-cool weather made me feel when it was also sunny that day and I actually liked it. I normally don't like sunny weather at all.

But I do agree with wineandcheese: It is really depressing when you get out of work/school around 5 in the afternoon, and it's already getting dark. I can't stand being at places I don't want to be at when it's like that. Right now I have two classes at school where I have to be there way past dark (the school's schedule, not my choice), and I can't stand it. It's like that interferes with my life too much. I don't like sitting in class looking out the window and seeing nothing but darkness, and wanting to be at home getting ready to go to sleep.

·
Drinking
370 Posts
What happens to me is, every time around this time. When that first cold front comes in for fall. After it's been hot for so long, and that first fresh, crisp, dry cool air seeps in. There's something about it that makes me nostalgic. Actually it's more than that, it's hard to explain, but in short, yeah, the weather does affect me. I'm also a lot more happy in the spring and early summer. The winter is the worst of course for the reasons wineandcheese said.

·
Registered
10,936 Posts
I cannot stand being too hot, I'd rather be freezing. I also seem to be much more sensitive to heat than other people (I start sweating very easily). If the weather is cold I tend to feel better.
Same here. I have very low tolerance for heat. Hot, humid weather makes me very irritable and cranky.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What happens to me is, every time around this time. When that first cold front comes in for fall. After it's been hot for so long, and that first fresh, crisp, dry cool air seeps in. There's something about it that makes me nostalgic. Actually it's more than that, it's hard to explain, but in short, yeah, the weather does affect me.
The same thing happens to me too. I've always wondered about that. I remember being really little and feeling so connected to that type of weather, even then.

·
Who me?
19 Posts
I am happier in warmer tempatures but I don't notice it affecting my anxiety. I do notice that darker lighting makes me feel more confident and less anxious. I HATE florescent lighting.

·
Banned
2,799 Posts
Same here. I have very low tolerance for heat. Hot, humid weather makes me very irritable and cranky.
Exactly. :yes.

At work I'll get nothing done if the room is too hot or too cold. That means I'm always dressed for the inside temp, rather than the outside temp, which confuses people year-round.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts