Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive always had trouble doing this and was always a bit slow to work it out, now I secretly use my hands to tell me which is which, its a little trick I thought I was the only one who did it, I make hold my hands out and make an L with my index and thumb, the one that shows an L is left.
Well a few weeks ago as I was in the car with my brother and his (girl) friend, she mentioned she cannot tell left from right either and does the same thing with her hands, I admitted for the first time I have this problem too, my family was shocked as theyve never noticed I do this. She mentioned that there is a type of disorder where you cannot tell left from right or have trouble doing so.
Has anyone heard of this?

Oh the worst is when you try and work out someone elses left or right when they are standing in front of you. Total confusion!

·
Losing Ground
2,121 Posts
haha omg I still can't tell my left from right without thinking about it first! I don't have to look at my hands though, I just have to think about it for a few seconds, it doesn't come naturally. I thought I was the only one on Earth. Sometimes when I am driving in my car with someone and they say really quick "go right!" or "go left!" I will take a wrong turn cause I didn't have enough time to think about it and just guessed. lol.

·
Banned
1,212 Posts
I'm not sure if this counts, but when I was a kid I had the hardest time learning. I finally figured out that the hand I use to hold utensils is my right. This is unrelated but I had a hard time telling lettuce & cabbage apart. My mom would send me to the neighborhood grocery store & I'd bring back the wrong one LOL I also had a hard time learning to tie my shoes & learning to ride a bike.

·
R.I.P. Do not contact.
1,905 Posts
Weird - I also learned left from right with the hand trick, and occasionally have to do it to make sure.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It does baffle me when people can just automatically do this. Im not great at maths either and I often feel Im a little behind in this too. It takes me longer to calculate a simple equation than other people Ive seen.

Weird - I also learned left from right with the hand trick, and occasionally have to do it to make sure.
:) I wonder where we picked this up from? lol.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I have to think about it too. When trying to figure it out, i pretend to write with both hands and the one that feels more natural is my right. Really weird, as if i dont even know with which hand i write with.

·
Losing Ground
2,121 Posts
Yes same here. But I know a few people like this. Strangely, they are all girls. I think it's predominantly a girl thing. And I'm not dyslexic so it's not that.

It's so strange to me to think that most people actually know which is left and right automatically. I've never experienced that, I always need to work it out. Only takes a second, but it's bizarre that after all this time it's not automatic...
I don't think it's strange they just know which is left and right, I think I'm strange. I've always thought I was different and different in a bad way and this is just one of the many ways I was different. I had honestly never mentioned this to anyone else before as I thought pretty much every human could tell right from left automatically. But yeah, I always need to work it out too. I usually use my body as a reference, somehow I know the right side of my body so if I have to take a right I kind of look at my hand for a sec and figure out which way is right and then I know. It only takes a sec but I do have to think about it to get it correct.

It's really interesting that we are strikingly similar. It's like this damn anxiety disorder is giving us exactly the same secondary disorders and the same messed up emotions.

I have troubles with left and right as well. Need to think about it first.
I don't think it's the SA, it's prob just a little personality trait. I am sure there a lot of other things people do or can't do that we never think about or have to deal with.

I have to think about which hand I write with. One situation in which this confusion always arises is when I have an eye test and the optician is shining a light in my eye and telling me to look left and right and up and down. I have to really think about it and I'm always terrified I'm going to look the wrong way and they'll think I'm an idiot.

Does anyone else have trouble remembering which side of the road cars drive on? Or is that just me? I suspect it is.
I'm bad when under pressure too, but for me it's more taking a turn in the car because if you take a wrong turn you're screwed and everyone really notices.

I don't have that problem while driving but if I tried to drive in the UK I'm sure I would- I'd def have to think hard about what side I should be on. But driving here in the US I don't have to think about it at all, it just comes naturally.

·
Registered
289 Posts
My mom has that exact problem. She is slightly dyslexic. She also can get lost easily in larger shops or in shopping malls. She tends to enter and exit from the same place so she knows where she is.

I got so used to giving directions to her (driving) by physically pointing, since she can't tell left from right, that I do it all the time to other people and they are like "why didn't you just say left??" so then I have to explain my weird habit lol.

·
resident classicist
4,408 Posts
I couldn't tell left from right until about middle school, but I was diagnosed with sensory integration dysfunction when I was really young (the senses blend together and get confused, includes the five senses but also perception of motion and position), so it's probably related to that. I still get confused.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If I drove I would probably find it easier to remember, but as a pedestrian I just can't. When I'm crossing the street I don't know which way to look. I mean, obviously I'll look both ways, but I don't know whether to expect a car travelling on the near side of the road to be coming from my right or my left. I just have to look around me wildly in all directions. It probably pays to do that anyway because the drivers are insane where I live. But it's strange that even with the most familiar street to me (the one I live on) I have trouble remembering.
I look both ways too even on a one way road. Because I cant remember which side the cars drive on or which direction they come from.
There is one intersection in Melbourne that I always get confused at, and people have made fun it, an ex would ask me everytime we go past which way is what, argh!
Anyone in Melb, its where South Road and Nepean Hwy meet in Moorabbin. LOL Really not one to be confused about!
Oh and the freeways around here just freak me out. I think we'll be heading to the city, when were really heading out of the city. There is a freeway just up the road, I never get where it goes.
Anyone in Melb, its where the Monash/South Eastern or whatever they call it and South Gippsland meet. Another no brainer! I hate freeways just because they confuse me. I think its more the onramps that confuse me though. Some you have to go in the opposite direction to get onto the freeway, they rap around in a circle. Stupid I say!

·
Losing Ground
2,121 Posts
My mom has that exact problem. She is slightly dyslexic. She also can get lost easily in larger shops or in shopping malls. She tends to enter and exit from the same place so she knows where she is.
I get very disoriented in public buildings like malls too but I think that is due to the SA. I always try to remember where I came in and think carefully about the route I took so I can find my way back.

·
Losing Ground
2,121 Posts
If I drove I would probably find it easier to remember, but as a pedestrian I just can't. When I'm crossing the street I don't know which way to look. I mean, obviously I'll look both ways, but I don't know whether to expect a car travelling on the near side of the road to be coming from my right or my left. I just have to look around me wildly in all directions. It probably pays to do that anyway because the drivers are insane where I live. But it's strange that even with the most familiar street to me (the one I live on) I have trouble remembering.
Actually now that I think of it, when I cross the street in front of my office I sometimes am unsure of which directions the cars should be coming from. It's a little disorienting being perpendicular to the road way instead of driving in it. I look both ways too just do I don't have to think about which way I should look. It's easier just to look all around I guess.

·
Losing Ground
2,121 Posts
I couldn't tell left from right until about middle school, but I was diagnosed with sensory integration dysfunction when I was really young (the senses blend together and get confused, includes the five senses but also perception of motion and position), so it's probably related to that. I still get confused.
Do you still stuffer from it? Weird, I wonder if I could possibly have this, it would explain a lot. I know there is something off about me neurologically or with my senses somehow.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I never had a problem with learning anything new, but this has always been a problem for me. It helped me to have a mark in my right hand little finger, but it was a birth mark and disappeared. Now I can't tell left from right.

Well, I can. But the problem is that my brain works like this.

Someone tells me: Turn left.
I look at my both hands.
My thoughts:
"This is my left hand."
"Maybe it isn't."
"Maybe it's that one."
"Definately it's not."
"Which one is it then?"
"That one."
"NO, THAT ONE."

When I realise, I have turned to the wrong direction.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi, not sure if this is the same thing or not...When I have to choice/act right on the spot I have trouble. Some examples:

Like I went to an amusement park (many years ago).The guy went to stamp my hand , he said right hand please. I couldn't think, I put my left up. He nodded to my right hand.:roll

I'm bad when I used to drive, if I don't know where I'm going and someones giving my direction. They'll say left fast and I'll be like :eek:

Even if I have to fill out a form fast...male, female. I have to stop and think a second :roll

·
Banned
40 Posts
Yeah I also have trouble with this haha. I guess even lots of people without SA have this problem. But what helps is that my Left hand was broken some time ago and now I always know which one is left and wich is right :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts