Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Daydreaming
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever told anyone that maybe you just have an "anxiety disorder" (or just "anxiety") and not really what one? I was just thinking, maybe telling someone you have an anxiety disorder in general, or even just say you have panic disorder or some other anxiety (even though thats a lie, unless of course you do have that as well) if the situation comes up, I imagine it would be less embarrassing than saying "social anxiety disorder / social phobia". I mean...people would understand more and it wouldn't be as embarrassing if the "thing" you were anxious about was not a person/people...but an object, or some other situation or place or just anything. But I don't know, I could be wrong.

·
Banned
497 Posts
Has anyone ever told anyone that maybe you just have an "anxiety disorder" (or just "anxiety") and not really what one? I was just thinking, maybe telling someone you have an anxiety disorder in general, or even just say you have panic disorder or some other anxiety (even though thats a lie, unless of course you do have that as well) if the situation comes up, I imagine it would be less embarrassing than saying "social anxiety disorder / social phobia". I mean...people would understand more and it wouldn't be as embarrassing if the "thing" you were anxious about was not a person/people...but an object, or some other situation or place or just anything. But I don't know, I could be wrong.
i think its best to just say ''social anxiety'' and say ''its like severe shyness ''

·
Registered
115 Posts
Whenever I've been in a situation where I felt like I had to tell people that I had a problem, I usually tell them I suffer from depression (which is true, just not the whole truth). I think it's easier than telling people about social anxiety because people usually understand that better. I told a friend once that I was depressed and she was pretty accepting and said she knew tons of people that have suffered from depression.

I told a different friend about having social anxiety and she said, "I know. You have always been shy." I felt so frustrated because it seemed like she didn't really get what I was trying to explain, and I had just about made myself puke trying to get the words out. I was seriously shaking and it was like she unintentionally minimized it because she didn't really understand what it is. It was really frustrating because I've known her since I was six and I still couldn't explain properly.

I found out at university that there is a difference between depression and social anxiety in what they offer for services. A lady I had to talk to at school told me that social anxiety is a long-term disability (I hate that word... disability. :( I guess they need a label in cases like that, though.) I had to work up the nerve to tell her that, and told her about depression first, and it's a good thing I managed to tell her the rest because I wouldn't have found that out, and she referred me to disability services where they can arrange things to help you (like having a room alone for exams, etc). I'm not going to school now though :(.

So yeah, how much you want to tell people really depends on who you are talking to. I've been in situations where people are so ignorant that I almost wanted to say something just to see if I can make them squirm. (Ooh, awkward! Burn.) But I don't think I would ever have the nerve to do that because I'd be too scared of being lynched.

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
I frequently tell people that I "have a lot of problems with anxiety" as an explanation for why I didn't graduate.

I found out at university that there is a difference between depression and social anxiety in what they offer for services. A lady I had to talk to at school told me that social anxiety is a long-term disability (I hate that word... disability. :( I guess they need a label in cases like that, though.) I had to work up the nerve to tell her that, and told her about depression first, and it's a good thing I managed to tell her the rest because I wouldn't have found that out, and she referred me to disability services where they can arrange things to help you (like having a room alone for exams, etc). I'm not going to school now though :(.
Oooh, I hope this is true at my school for when I go back (although I only need one or two classes to finish). People have always told me I should go the disabilities office and I thought they wouldn't be able to do anything for me.

·
Registered
50 Posts
does anyone feel like this

:eek:im going 2 see friends that iv not seen in a long time and im dreading it feel that my sa takes over dont want 2 lose control around them its not that i dont want to see them its just that my body is gonna let me down i know il be all shaky and nervous around them trying to think positive but its just not working for me do i just tell them why im like this and just go with the shakes and nerves its really getting me down

·
Registered
749 Posts
I didn't tell enyone because I feel like my problem will only get wors, because people are knowing how I feel will asking me all the time if its "okey" with me?

I dont want to be rememberd all day long of my problems. And I also feel like people are going to thread me different.

·
In hiding
1,455 Posts
Actually, just the other week when I didn't attend an appointment somewhere and was rung up about it, I simply said I had 'anxiety.' I'd wanted to say social anxiety but something stopped me. I'm not sure if it was embarrassment or what. Maybe it was the fact that I just barely squeaked the words out (over the phone, this is). For some reason telling somebody made me feel terrified. I guess all I could think of what was going to be said in response, how I was going to be thought of, ect.

·
Banned
322 Posts
I very recently told an old friend (who I never actually see anymore, natch) on MSN that I had an 'anxiety disorder' - then later clarified it to 'social anxiety disorder' only after explaining the symptoms. She was surprisingly understanding and even offered to help me with things like meeting people - but then I guess it really depends on the person you are telling.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Whenever I have told someone (which isn't very many people), I have regretted it later, because the person(s) I told weren't who I thought they were. Obviously none of them have understood what 'it' is, but more to the point they've underestimated the effect it has on me and have laughed it off, one or two have also used it against me as a laughing point with their mates.

Just be sure the people you tell are really your friends

·
Still Anxious
59 Posts
My mom is the only one who knows. I really want to tell everyone i know so they would understand me, i feel like they think i don't want to talk to them.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Yeah that's what I'd said. I've just said I have anxiety problems. There's no reason to go into details. I detest the word shy, there's no reason to make yourself vulnerable. Unless it becomes necessary I don't see why you should have to say what you're anxious about.

·
A Unicorn!!!
234 Posts
I just tell people I'm nervous. If they don't get it, I'll tell them I get seasick when nervous. Yes I'll do that next time if I remember it. *evil laugh* *sigh*

·
Registered
515 Posts
I tried to explain to a friend why I am how I am, and she just said that's not you, don't label yourself. You just need confidence.

I now regret trying to tell her, but she just kept on, saying I sounded depressed, I bring everyone down, i should snap out of it etc.

I wouldn't tell anyone unless you truely trust them and they will try and understand instead of dismissing it and just telling you to 'snap out of it'. I REALLY hate that!

·
Registered
66 Posts
i so wish that i could tell people...but honestly im somewhat ashamed and embarrassed. i also feel like people wouldn't understand or they would think im crazy or something, not even some people in my family know. i wish that i could tell people because maybe then they wouldn't judge me or think that i don't wanna talk to them...but i kno that most people just wont get it..so im just labeled as "quiet or shy"

·
Banned
2,265 Posts
Idk I really dont tell many people I have SA..they just think im really shy.
SA isn't the first thing you wanna blurt out to someone lol.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The only people that know about my anxiety is my doctor and my hubby. I don't want anyone else to know because I don't want to be looked down at worse than I already am.

·
Haters to the left.
2,699 Posts
The only people that know about my problem are my mom, dad, and younger brother.

I'm going on a date with this guy that I like next week, and I am thinking about telling him my problem. I mean, he's going to have to find out sooner or later if he wants to be with me. I think I should just tell him I have anxiety problems and leave it at that, but I have to admit I'm nervous about telling him...he might think I'm crazy and decide not to see me again. :(

1 - 20 of 27 Posts