Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if this belongs under "Coping"

So I'm away at college right now, but I'm going home for 6 weeks this summer before summer classes start. My parents have no idea I've been seeing a therapist, have SA and am depressed. I guess this would be a good time to tell them, since whenever I come back to school this summer, I'm going to start meds ( Have to wait until after getting my wisdom teeth out). I don't know how to tell them this.

As many of you can understand, I hate telling people important things like this, especially since I have no idea how they'll react. I've never really talked to them about mental health stuff, and don't even know if all of this runs in my family. I have no idea how to tell them, or bring it up. Or if I should tell one parent at a time (but then the other would get pissed off about that I'm sure).

Another thing is that I've kind of lied to them about how social I am. They know I'm not a party animal like my brother, but I make it seem like I'm with friends a lot and things like that. So they think I'm living a "normal" life. But I'm not.

I haven't had to tell anyone I have SA and am depressed yet, not even my bf because he basically found out about SA online after I broke down telling him all of my fears of talking to people, etc. So he basically told me that I probably have SA. And then I went to a therapist after thinking/researching it more, and the rest is history.

Has anyone had to tell their parents they have SA and or are depressed, and how should I bring it on and stuff? I don't want to blurt it out at the wrong time. Were your parents mad or become more worried or protective of you?

I'm just scared they're not going to take it well, and blame themselves or something. Or even blame me. They might not even understand or believe it's a real thing (but I have pamphlets from my therapist..so I guess I'll have those ready).

arrgghh!! :afr

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey

Hey, i'm sort of in the same position. I'm in first year of university too and my parents don't really know that i have SAD and is depressed. But I live at home so I don't know if they already know that something is up with me. They don't have any idea i'm seeing a therapist either, or that I have medication for depression and SAD in my drawer...even though I haven't started taking them yet.

My parents are pretty accepting, so I think they would take it pretty well if I told them and be really supportive. How do you think yours would react? If I were to guess, i'd say they'd be pretty supportive too and not freak out or anything. I mean they're your family right, they'll stick by you.

However I haven't told my parents because of several reasons other that what you've raised. Like I don't think telling them would be of any help, I don't see how they would be able to help me with the condition in any away being from a whole different generation and everything. I don't really want to worry them. I don't want increased attention or pity from them, because that'd make me feel more pathetic and embarassed.

But i've been flirting with the idea recently because I'm planning to take meds and you have to take it everyday at the same time, and I'm a really forgetful person. So i'd probably need my mom's help with that who has an excellent memory. Might tell her its for something else.

Anyway, half that post was about me ...haha...sorry =P. Good luck with everything.

·
Registered
74 Posts
This is my second year in university now. My parents know nothing about my sad, or that I'm going to therapy. I don't think I could ever tell them... :S Would feel too embarrased and that I have failed... I don't want them to feel pity for me. It's so, so hard to always have to lie to my parents that everything is okay.

·
Banned
133 Posts
It's really hard to say what to do in any situation. You say you really have no idea how they'd react. How is your relationship with them otherwise? Do you tend to have an open relationship with one or both of your parents and talk about things? If so, telling them would be a good idea. Or, do you parents tend to not listen to your problems and discourage your idea or criticize it rather than understand and try to help? If so, telling them probably wouldn't help. If you really still can't tell, all you can do is try it and see how they react, and then you'll know what to do in the future.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.