Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
CarpeDiem
19 Posts
I told my best friend and she said that it was really good that I had been able to acknowledge I had a problem as it was the first step to fixing it. I told my sister as well and she's been pretty good about it. In my opinion, telling people is a good thing, because it makes them more considerate and understand the way you act the way you do.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've told my friends and they really didn't react at all. I have a couple other friends that I haven't told. I'm kind of scared to. I wouldn't think it's that big of a step in controlling my SA because my SA is to a minimum around my friends. It's still there but my friends have shown me that they aren't critical of me and they don't judge me so when I'm around them I'm actually free to be myself. It's a nice feeling. I also told my sister and she understands because she also has anxiety problems. (not SAD though).

·
Registered
209 Posts
I have told my Mum and one friend that I have SA. But it doesn't seem that necessary for me to tell people because it's not going to change anything - I have always been the same, so it's not like I have suddenly changed and they need an explanation. I sometimes find myself wanting to tell people for various reasons, and I have a lot of trouble with it (I have anxiety about saying the word 'anxiety', strangely enough!). I told both my Mum and my friend through email. And my friend already knew anyway - she was one of the people bugging me to see someone about it. So it went OK, in my experience. Telling people wouldn't help me overcome anxiety - I think it might make it worse because then you start wondering what they might be thinking/expecting of you when you see them. It could be a bit self-fulfilling.

·
Geese
20,768 Posts
Most of mine know about it but don't have a clue just how debilitating it actually is. i have told them I struggle big time with nights out etc but they still seem surprised when I'm not keen on the idea or something. Guess it's difficult for those without SA to know what it's like.

·
trying to heal
100 Posts
Now i told almost everyone, but before i was so ashamed of it. Now when i tell to someone and they dont understand i just give them a comparison. I ask them 'what are u afraid of, whats ur phobia?' they would tell something like my friend did 'cockroach' and i ask her 'what do u feel when u see a cockroach?' and she told me exactly the same things that we experience with social situations. I told her that that is the same thing i experience but with everything that has to do with socialize. She understood it better that way. And now that i have a way of explain it i feel better too. I have explained it to a lot of people, I've been told a lot of fears like: snakes, height, dogs..etc. Maybe its a good way to make people understand and to feel more confident on talking about ur problem, cause everyone has problems and at least we know we have it and want to do something about it. If they still dont understand, dont worry, they r the ones that have a problem then. Hope it helps! Take care dear friends :boogie

·
Here, there & everywhere
233 Posts
I never really told anyone about it because I've never really been able to put a name to it. But when I did, I told my mom that I wanted help. She just thinks I'm extremely shy and thinks I should just get out of my room more often. I'll just ask my doctor about it the next time I go see her. :p

·
Registered
444 Posts
I've tried to tell a couple people but it doesn't really change anything. Unless you go through it, it's nearly impossible to understand in my opinion.

·
ThirdEyeGrind
1,284 Posts
I've told about 7 people (guestimating) about my sa. And alot of them don't talk to me anymore, but its probably just the fact that I never wanted to do anything so they gave up on me. I do have two pretty good friends that I can talk about it with though. I don't like to bring it up much cause chances are, the other person doesn't really know what to say cause they never experienced sa. Shyness yea, but not sa.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
I've told my family and the people i'm closest to at work. Amazingly the people I work with understand a lot better than my family. My family don't seem to want to acknowledge it and I find it incredibly difficult to make them understand what it is like (except my younger brother who also has SA). They seem to think i'll just snap out of it if they ignore it and just keep asking me enough times to go out places with them.

The people i've told at work have been really understanding, and have even opened up to me about their problems and feelings. I've found I was always very distant from my workmates (keeping my head down all day, eating alone), but since i've been honest with them about my SA i've got a lot closer to them (i get on with them all, sit with them at breaks - i don't say a lot, but at least i'm not sitting alone anymore).

·
Banned
497 Posts
has anybody told their friends (i use that word loosely) about about they're SA. if so how did it go over. i really think that it would be a big step in taking control of my SA.
he best thing to do is to accept it yourslef first. reach the point were you dont have a problem admitting it (i went through a big period in my life were admitting it to mysel and to others was very hard)

once your at the point were you can shrugg ur shoulders and say ''ive got SA'' and not even care what people think about it then thats the time to tell others

but wait for them to ask you. wait for them to say ''you are shy arent you'' or ''how come you are so quiet''. once they say that then just casually say ''well actually ive got SA''

and dont go telling them all about it and what its like. just wait for them to ask. if they ask tell them

if you just pull someone to one side and say ''hey gues what ive got SA blah blahblah'' then they are more likely to go ''o right !'' and not know what to say

·
Registered
591 Posts
told my parents. dad and step mom are understanding. my mom told me i just need to "get over it." she even questioned whether or not i was getting my meds from a doc or a drug dealer lmao. She's a psycho btch so i dont care. My sister and bf know. Everyone is in the game of "lending me a helping hand" if i need one. They're also there to tell me when i need to get out of the house (to prevent agoraphobia) if i've been in too long.
Telling people creates a support network. It also allows you to weed out the good and bad friends. :) Good luck

·
Registered
39 Posts
I dont actually think i have even brought the subject up with any of my friends, well at least on a serious level. Most of my friends seem rather care free, which becomes apparent during shared social situations, when i'm freaking out over the weird vibes or whatever it is i pick up on, and they are having the time of their lifes... i guess to them my awkwardness is 'my thing'.

·
Registered
165 Posts
My mom hijacked my emotional sharing when i told her about my SA after years of silence. She talked on and on about how she was like that too, which at first was nice, and then she said i need to get over it and just try harder.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.