Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never had a problem telling my closer friends that I had a problem. In fact, I'm probably too eager to let them know =/. As for some people that I am kind of friends with (and want to know better), I really want to tell them about my SA. I feel as though they'd understand me better and won't drift away like they seem to be doing now. Somehow I feel as though if I told them I'll be able to be more myself around them...as weird as that sounds.

I know I should just tell them, but I'm afraid that they'll just distance themselves more. In the past, some people haven't wanted to hear my crap because they didn't want my negative energy. I guess some people also don't know how to react to stuff like this either so it's awkward for them. I know, ideally, if these people are worth it, they shouldn't reject me just because of that. I know this, but it's still scary. Maybe it's because I hope they won't.

Anyways, just wondering, does anyone else have trouble telling new friends/acquaintances about your SA?

Sorry if this topic's been done before =p.

·
baby you're a lost cause
1,728 Posts
Don't share your weaknesses with ppl you aren't sure are your friends.

Sure, there could be many good reason to share it with a true friend, but not with ppl who can use it against you...

·
Registered
139 Posts
I told my mom about SA many times, and even after being diagnosed by a professional she still didn't believe me. She told me it's all in my head, I'm just shy and I need to get out there and force myself to socialize so I can get over it.

I've told other members of my family as well, and *none* of them believe I have a problem. I'm just shy and using it as a crutch, exactly how they see it.

So I wouldn't recommend it, but that's only from my personal experience. It seems most people on here have families and even friends who do actually believe it's a real thing, and a problem, and try and help them deal. I truly hope yours fall under that category.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, it really sucks when you tell people and they don't believe you or the depth of the problem. The people I've told don't seem to understand completely either.

As for the people I was referring to, fortunately I'm pretty sure they aren't the type to use this weakness against me :). Though, they might run for the hills...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts