Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1701 - 1720 of 1737 Posts

·
Super Moderator
37,474 Posts
So the new fan I've been using (not really a new fan but a fan that moves more air) is much noisier than the old one was and was making a pretty loud buzzing noise. I've been fighting with trying to find the right material to absorb the sound. I am currently trying Blu-Tack. It seems to be working pretty good but I have no idea what happens to Blu-Tack at 0 degrees. If it gets hard it will probably be just as noisy again.
So I finally got tired of fighting with junk I had laying around and sacrificed a brand new Noctua 92mm fan to the fridge. I guess the other fans I was using were 80mm fans because I found there was much less vertical space inside the little freezer compartment. And I have found the freezer compartment is just the best place (for me) to put the fan.

So the problem remained to find a damping material to go underneath the fan. The material had to be both excellent and damping noisy vibration and it had to not be porous. Otherwise, it would absorb water from partially melted ice on the floor of the freezer compartment and cause issues. The least of which would be if I needed to reposition the fan, it would be frozen in place. So each time I had to break it free, the layer of ice under it would get a bit thicker.

So, maybe it's obvious to most people but the material I needed was silicone. I found a silicone soap dish for a few dollars and found that it fits perfectly under the fan and leaves just enough room at the top to slide in a layer of neoprene shelf liner so the fan doesn't vibrate against the top of the fridge.

The result? The fan is now almost silent when the door is shut. It used to actually wake me up from time to time with that annoying growl. It also appears to move more air. Keeps the fridge temp more stable and the freezer compartment doesn't have so much ice buildup. I also rerouted the wire for the fan underneath the gasket on the door (previously, I was just taping the wire on the space between the gasket and the door frame. I had thought it wouldn't make much difference if there was a small gap but I stuck a flashlight in there and closed the door and found the gap was much larger than I thought it was. No doubt lots of air was escaping that way.

Feels weird not to have to fight with the fridge to just get it to do what it was supposed to do. I don't think they make these cheap fridges to actually keep food in. Maybe they're just meant to keep beverages cold (which they don't even seem to do well at all without a fan). Maybe I'm just picky and like my drinks as close to freezing as they can get without actually being slushies.

·
Super Moderator
37,474 Posts
First time I went to him thinking it was something major it turned out to just be a missing nut on part of the suspension. He only charged me for the nut and a half hour of shop time. So they've been my go to ever since. I've never felt like they overcharged me unlike almost every other mechanic I've ever been to.

Before we moved two years ago they were only two blocks away from our house and it sucks now because it's like a 30 minute drive, but it's worth it knowing I won't get screwed over on the bill.
Worse than that though is a mechanic who is lazy, does poor quality work or doesn't care. They can definitely make relatively simple problems much worse.

We just had our brakes done (on a 20+ year old car) recently at this shop my mother insisted on going to. I was reluctant because I didn't like the guy's attitude when we went in to tell him what our issues with the car were. He just seemed argumentative and condescending. But I resolved that I wasn't going to argue with her because it's her money and her car and ultimately, arguing with her just doesn't work and causes issues.

So now the brakes seem to be making even more strange and expensive noises than they were before. And to beat it all, a couple of months after he did the brakes, the radiator rusted through and leaked it's coolant all over the garage. If he cared at all, you'd think he'd at least notice any other potential issues while he was working on the brakes.

I had a bad feeling when they gave us the car back the first time because they replaced the valve cover gasket but there were still cobwebs (where the car hadn't been driven for a while) all over the place inside the engine compartment. So they obviously didn't touch anything they didn't have to. They did replace the gasket (I could see the new one) but it just added to the sketchy feeling I got about them. If he so much as reached in to check the belt tension, the cobwebs would have been disturbed.

·
Registered
8,527 Posts
My aunt got help remodeling her kitchen and I just now saw some pics of it online. I thought it was kind of interesting. It looked good before but guess she wanted to take away the dark red walls and go for something different. She had white cabinets before and now they look gray. Lol Either way, it looks cool. Must be the only place in the house she wanted remodeled. Looks like white tiling on the walls, which is different.

·
Barbells and kittens
4,382 Posts
Worse than that though is a mechanic who is lazy, does poor quality work or doesn't care. They can definitely make relatively simple problems much worse.

We just had our brakes done (on a 20+ year old car) recently at this shop my mother insisted on going to. I was reluctant because I didn't like the guy's attitude when we went in to tell him what our issues with the car were. He just seemed argumentative and condescending. But I resolved that I wasn't going to argue with her because it's her money and her car and ultimately, arguing with her just doesn't work and causes issues.

So now the brakes seem to be making even more strange and expensive noises than they were before. And to beat it all, a couple of months after he did the brakes, the radiator rusted through and leaked it's coolant all over the garage. If he cared at all, you'd think he'd at least notice any other potential issues while he was working on the brakes.

I had a bad feeling when they gave us the car back the first time because they replaced the valve cover gasket but there were still cobwebs (where the car hadn't been driven for a while) all over the place inside the engine compartment. So they obviously didn't touch anything they didn't have to. They did replace the gasket (I could see the new one) but it just added to the sketchy feeling I got about them. If he so much as reached in to check the belt tension, the cobwebs would have been disturbed.
Mine is similar aged (1997) and the brakes have been the biggest issue I've had with it. I've had the master cylinder replaced twice, although the first time I got a used part. Also currently got a coolant leak I'm going to have them fix. It's been slowly leaking for awhile and I'd just been adding coolant, but since it's going in the shop I'm going to get it fixed too. Can't tell where it's leaking or I'd try to fix it myself. Swapping a radiator is actually fairly easy.

·
Super Moderator
37,474 Posts
Mine is similar aged (1997) and the brakes have been the biggest issue I've had with it. I've had the master cylinder replaced twice, although the first time I got a used part. Also currently got a coolant leak I'm going to have them fix. It's been slowly leaking for awhile and I'd just been adding coolant, but since it's going in the shop I'm going to get it fixed too. Can't tell where it's leaking or I'd try to fix it myself. Swapping a radiator is actually fairly easy.
Unfortunately, our coolant leak was pretty large and sudden. We just opened the garage door one day and saw a huge puddle. Which sucked because my dad puts everything he doesn't know what to do with in the garage. It was a real mess.

·
Barbells and kittens
4,382 Posts
Unfortunately, our coolant leak was pretty large and sudden. We just opened the garage door one day and saw a huge puddle. Which sucked because my dad puts everything he doesn't know what to do with in the garage. It was a real mess.
That sucks. My leak is too slow to tell where it's coming from. It's like a half gallon a month or so at the moment, but seems to be increasing over time. I've had to start keeping a closer eye on it lately.

·
Super Moderator
37,474 Posts
So I was on my way to Costco a couple of days ago and there is this one major intersection where you have to turn left and the green arrow there seriously only lasts for like 30 seconds. Traffic there is almost always heavy so it isn't uncommon to have to wait for like 3-4 cycles of the light to get your chance to turn.

So I sat there for like I don't know how long and it was finally down to where I had like 3 cars in front of me. We get the green arrow and the first two cars did their thing and the one in front of me just stops and sits there for a while and then this idiot decides to make a U turn right in the middle of this super busy intersection. And boom. Red light. I was mad as hell! :LOL:

I don't know what it is about that intersection but morons always make U turns there.

·
Registered
8,527 Posts
Lmfao One of my coworkers was telling another coworker about a gory clown movie today and asking him if he was going to watch it. The way he asked him made it sound like he wasnt sure if he was going to. And he said he might watch it. And the other coworker said the only clown movie that scared him was It. But then the coworker was trying to tell him how this one was really gory and that he needed to watch it. I laughed to myself about this convo I heard. 🤣

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
I went to the Dreamachine today, finally through in Edinburgh.

·
Registered
8,527 Posts
I'm so annoyed right now. I come home and have to go straight to doing laundry and I can't find my car keys. Where the hell did I put them? I dumped out everything in my pocketbook and looked in my car. I really need to make a duplicate key but with a this other stuff I do, I keep putting it off and don't feel like it. I'm so frustrated right now cause I need it.

I really hate laundry day. Always in a rush on those days.

·
Super Moderator
37,474 Posts
I'm so annoyed right now. I come home and have to go straight to doing laundry and I can't find my car keys. Where the hell did I put them? I dumped out everything in my pocketbook and looked in my car. I really need to make a duplicate key but with a this other stuff I do, I keep putting it off and don't feel like it. I'm so frustrated right now cause I need it.

I really hate laundry day. Always in a rush on those days.
Having duplicates made is one of those things where it seems to be getting to be a lost art. We had some made a couple of years back and there was one key the guy just couldn't make (I don't really remember what his reason was) but several of the others work OK but you can kind of tell they're not quite right and bind up a bit.

There's a duplicate making vending machine at a local store but I'm afraid to try and use it because it looks kinda complicated. :LOL:

·
Registered
8,527 Posts
Having duplicates made is one of those things where it seems to be getting to be a lost art. We had some made a couple of years back and there was one key the guy just couldn't make (I don't really remember what his reason was) but several of the others work OK but you can kind of tell they're not quite right and bind up a bit.

There's a duplicate making vending machine at a local store but I'm afraid to try and use it because it looks kinda complicated. :LOL:
To be honest, I'm worried right now cause the last car keys I had, I could never find them. And it's it's only pair I have. Without this pair, I can't go anywhere and might have to walk to work and back. You know how that saying goes where they crawled away and disappeared. I think that time they really did. But not really. :/ And I don't know where else they'd be. I dumped everything out of my pocketbook and looked beside the ground next to my car. Took everything off my bed and still can't find them.

I know it's cause I was both busy today and had to do laundry. I could Google how to make duplicates without no car keys I guess.

·
Super Moderator
37,474 Posts
To be honest, I'm worried right now cause the last car keys I had, I could never find them. And it's it's only pair I have. Without this pair, I can't go anywhere and might have to walk to work and back. You know how that saying goes where they crawled away and disappeared. I think that time they really did. But not really. :/ And I don't know where else they'd be. I dumped everything out of my pocketbook and looked beside the ground next to my car. Took everything off my bed and still can't find them.

I know it's cause I was both busy today and had to do laundry. I could Google how to make duplicates without no car keys I guess.
I had that problem one time and guess what? The keys were locked in my car. I looked everywhere I could think of and then I had that horrible sinking feeling that is similar to the one when your toilet is plugged up and you're watching the water rise and you know exactly what's going to happen but there's nothing you can do about it.

I walked out to the car not actually wanting to look but there they were. Right on the passenger seat. I probably could have paid a pro to break into the car and get them but I did have the window down a crack and after a couple of desperate hours with a wire hanger, I finally got it open.

That's probably not as likely to happen now with key fobs that you lock the car with but this happened in the stone age and I had manual locks.

·
Barbells and kittens
4,382 Posts
I don't know how easy it is in newer vehicles, but you can replace the ignition lock cylinder really easily in older vehicles. I replaced the one in my 95 Ford F-250 a few months ago in about 10 minutes with basic tools. The replacement cost about $12 at O'Reilly's. Just watched a YouTube video and did it pretty easily. Comes with two keys too. Of course they won't work on your doors, but can start the car at least.

Camera accessory Font Gadget Electronic device Cable

Edit: have gotten a key fob from a junkyard for $10 and programmed it myself using youtube too. Definitely worth checking into before spending a bunch of money.

·
Registered
8,527 Posts
I had that problem one time and guess what? The keys were locked in my car. I looked everywhere I could think of and then I had that horrible sinking feeling that is similar to the one when your toilet is plugged up and you're watching the water rise and you know exactly what's going to happen but there's nothing you can do about it.

I walked out to the car not actually wanting to look but there they were. Right on the passenger seat. I probably could have paid a pro to break into the car and get them but I did have the window down a crack and after a couple of desperate hours with a wire hanger, I finally got it open.

That's probably not as likely to happen now with key fobs that you lock the car with but this happened in the stone age and I had manual locks.
I'm not sure how it is there but if a fire department is near you, you can get them to unlock it to get your keys out. I found that out at my workplace whenever mine got locked inside.

Well, I ended up finding my keys just now...under the floormat of all places. So I'm making a duplicate when I'm off Monday. And I'm going to make two duplicates. It's important to have extra and I should've gotten it done months ago. Yea, it's highly annoying when you lose something like look in the same spot several times only for it to be in the place you looked the whole time. Anything to avoid having to pay for a broken window is a good idea. Probably isn't that expensive to replace but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
8,527 Posts
I won't be able to afford another spare key with how high they are. At minimum, it looks like it would be 200. I need that money for my place. With all the bills I pay, its good to have extra money for things so I may need that money for something else. But when you're in a rush, you're going to lose keys even if you always put them in the same spot. Just the fact I lost them in the car kind of shows how unimportant it is for me to get another pair right now. It is important but compared to my house, I don't know if it is at the moment. At the same time, I could always lose them for days before I find them.

I have done good with these keys though. I haven't lost this pair yet until yesterday. And on my sister's birthday. Lol

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
I won't be able to afford another spare key with how high they are. At minimum, it looks like it would be 200. I need that money for my place. With all the bills I pay, its good to have extra money for things so I may need that money for something else. But when you're in a rush, you're going to lose keys even if you always put them in the same spot. Just the fact I lost them in the car kind of shows how unimportant it is for me to get another pair right now. It is important but compared to my house, I don't know if it is at the moment. At the same time, I could always lose them for days before I find them.

I have done good with these keys though. I haven't lost this pair yet until yesterday. And on my sister's birthday. Lol
I stuck a nail in the wall by the door to hang my keys on, and now I've not got a specific key hanging thingy, with hooks hung up by the door. I used to spend ages before going out hunting for my keys, but haven't since I started using that system. No good to you now though I know 😳, well not until you find them, which I hope you do soon 🤞

Reactions: PurplePeopleEater

·
Registered
8,527 Posts
I stuck a nail in the wall by the door to hang my keys on, and now I've not got a specific key hanging thingy, with hooks hung up by the door. I used to spend ages before going out hunting for my keys, but haven't since I started using that system. No good to you now though I know 😳, well not until you find them, which I hope you do soon 🤞
A nail is a good idea. I have nails in the wall all over my room. Lol I did find my keys yesterday thankfully but a coworker told me today even if I do have a set of keys and want an extra pair, it would still cost a lot. I was considering getting an extra pair while I have these other ones but I don't even want to spend 200 dollars on another pair atvthe moment. I need it for drinks, food, and other stuff. It's possibly more than 250 dollars depending on the make and model. My sister told me if my keys have a chip in them, it would be even more pricey. Mine don't have a chip in them at least. I'll just have to wait until next year to spend 200. I just don't want to lose these again before I'm able to get another pair.

1701 - 1720 of 1737 Posts