Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1041 - 1060 of 1076 Posts

·
Super Moderator
34,906 Posts
Well, I have made my first Amazon order in months and I'm a bit worried about how it's gonna go. It's supposed to be here Tuesday but we'll see. I guess since all of the items were supposedly in stock when I placed the order, it should be down to just whether or not Amazon's shipping is still functioning well. Or hopefully they're not shipping it through USPS. If it goes through USPS, I know there's a 50/50 chance of chaos and expected unexpectedness. Like the one time when I ordered a hard drive and the USPS lady dropped it right in front of me when she went to hand it to me. Surprisingly, it survived but that made me always try to avoid USPS shipping whenever I could.

·
Self isolating from self
3,422 Posts
Well, I have made my first Amazon order in months and I'm a bit worried about how it's gonna go. It's supposed to be here Tuesday but we'll see. I guess since all of the items were supposedly in stock when I placed the order, it should be down to just whether or not Amazon's shipping is still functioning well. Or hopefully they're not shipping it through USPS. If it goes through USPS, I know there's a 50/50 chance of chaos and expected unexpectedness. Like the one time when I ordered a hard drive and the USPS lady dropped it right in front of me when she went to hand it to me. Surprisingly, it survived but that made me always try to avoid USPS shipping whenever I could.
Yeah, I'm not a fan of the USPS either. Or FedEx for that matter. The only reliable delivery service here is UPS, but recently it seems that many places that I shop online are using UPS less.

Are you able to track your order?

·
Super Moderator
34,906 Posts
Yeah, I'm not a fan of the USPS either. Or FedEx for that matter. The only reliable delivery service here is UPS, but recently it seems that many places that I shop online are using UPS less.

Tracking on Amazon has always been hit or miss for me. Although usually if Amazon delivers it with their own drivers, the tracking and entire experience tends to be much better. USPS is all over the place. Sometimes the tracking is semi-good but other times it's just terrible or even nonexistent. I have had orders where the only event that was logged in the tracking was when it was shipped. So I had no idea when it would be here. And even after I received it, the tracking was never updated. I could probably go back now and look at it and it would still just say "Shipped".

That's not so bad if I ordered a $5 fan but it makes me reluctant to order anything that costs much more than $10. That's usually fine because mostly what Amazon is good for is ordering little odds and ends that you can't normally find locally. Like this order is an OTG hub for my Firestick. Of course I want to get what I ordered but the dollar amount doesn't make me anxious at least.

·
Super Moderator
8,724 Posts
What I really like about them is I really like the ability to dim them. In fact, the one thing I don't like about the ones I have is they won't go dim enough to be a night light. I pretty much always use them at 20% or lower. The color changing feature is cool but I don't really use it.
Mines get pretty dim at the lowest brightness setting, although I do have a custom lampshade I made myself out of vellum paper. Maybe that might have blocked off a lot of the brightness. But I already do have those wall socket nightlights, so I don't really need the lamp as a nightlight regardless. Also my window sill has a few of those color changing solar light globes too, so more nightlights. 😅

Reactions: WillYouStopDave

·
Super Moderator
34,906 Posts
Mines get pretty dim at the lowest brightness setting, although I do have a custom lampshade I made myself out of vellum paper. Maybe that might have blocked off a lot of the brightness. But I already do have those wall socket nightlights, so I don't really need the lamp as a nightlight regardless. Also my window sill has a few of those color changing solar light globes too, so more nightlights. 😅
What happens with me is sometimes I just lay down and I'm not sure if I'm going to sleep or not. I have a motion sensing nightlight but I don't have it plugged in because it still goes on and off when there's plenty of ambient light and it's annoying. Anyway, I can actually sleep just fine with my lamp on full brightness (and often did before I got these). So now if I'm laying down with that uncertainty, I just put them on 2%. Which is still brighter than I'd like but totally fine for sleeping. It's more when I wake up for a few seconds to turn over or something that the light can be a bit annoying if it's too bright.

I'm probably very strange in that way that I can actually sleep very well in a fully lit room. :LOL:

Anyway, I have been loving the LED "revolution". I used to have 2 100 watt bulbs in that lamp and it's crazy to think of the power consumption and also the amount of heat they made in the warm months. So both of these are maybe 18 watts at full brightness and I pretty much never take them over 20%. I just like that it doesn't feel wasteful.

·
Super Moderator
8,724 Posts
The past month, I started noticing more and more places where the cashier staff will verbally ask me to my face "How much (or what percentage of) tip would you like to pay?" after I paid my order. Instead of giving me the screen with the question "How much would you like to tip? 15%, 25%, 30% or no tip?"

I got something to-go for lunch today, and I said "10%" on a pre-made sandwich and a coffee that doesn't warrant any tipping, but I felt guilt into paying due to the question. The male staff just blurted out snidely "um... the minimum tip amount is 15%..." and then he repeat very pushily "how much would you like to tip, I need to enter something before I can get your order through..." I hesitantly and begrudginly blurted "15%". He gave me a stinkeye as he hard pressed the cash register machine button making that loud "clack!". And for that, he gets rewarded with my tip for doing nothing.

Not returning to that cafe again. 🙁🖕

• Haha
Reactions: Fever Dream

·
Self isolating from self
3,422 Posts
The past month, I started noticing more and more places where the cashier staff will verbally ask me to my face "How much (or what percentage of) tip would you like to pay?" after I paid my order. Instead of giving me the screen with the question "How much would you like to tip? 15%, 25%, 30% or no tip?"

I got something to-go for lunch today, and I said "10%" on a pre-made sandwich and a coffee that doesn't warrant any tipping, but I felt guilt into paying due to the question. The male staff just blurted out snidely "um... the minimum tip amount is 15%..." and then he repeat very pushily "how much would you like to tip, I need to enter something before I can get your order through..." I hesitantly and begrudginly blurted "15%". He gave me a stinkeye as he hard pressed the cash register machine button making that loud "clack!". And for that, he gets rewarded with my tip for doing nothing.

Not returning to that cafe again. 🙁🖕
I guess the new policy is to add a little social pressure and shame on you by asking verbally. Honestly I feel at that point it's not even a tip anymore. You're just being asked what percentage more beyond the advertised price would you like to pay. Yes, 🖕 indeed.

·
Super Moderator
34,906 Posts
I was in the store yesterday and there was this 20 something dude kind of "staggering" (for lack of a better word) around who was on the phone with his girlfriend or something. Which he had it on speakerphone so you could hear the conversation and it was clearly a completely vapid conversation with no point to it. And he was talking louder than necessary and sounded drunk and (franky) stupid.

He didn't seem to actually be shopping for anything, he was just meandering around being obnoxious. Seemed like everywhere I went, he was either there or would show up there. I could hear him coming from like 30 feet away. Just had the urge to get the hell away from him.

·
Super Moderator
34,906 Posts

Tracking on Amazon has always been hit or miss for me. Although usually if Amazon delivers it with their own drivers, the tracking and entire experience tends to be much better. USPS is all over the place. Sometimes the tracking is semi-good but other times it's just terrible or even nonexistent. I have had orders where the only event that was logged in the tracking was when it was shipped. So I had no idea when it would be here. And even after I received it, the tracking was never updated. I could probably go back now and look at it and it would still just say "Shipped".

That's not so bad if I ordered a $5 fan but it makes me reluctant to order anything that costs much more than $10. That's usually fine because mostly what Amazon is good for is ordering little odds and ends that you can't normally find locally. Like this order is an OTG hub for my Firestick. Of course I want to get what I ordered but the dollar amount doesn't make me anxious at least.
And there you have it. It was originally supposed to be here shortly after noon but has now been pushed back at least 5 times. At least it's Amazon's official drivers this time and not USPS.

·
Super Moderator
8,724 Posts
I was in the store yesterday and there was this 20 something dude kind of "staggering" (for lack of a better word) around who was on the phone with his girlfriend or something. Which he had it on speakerphone so you could hear the conversation and it was clearly a completely vapid conversation with no point to it. And he was talking louder than necessary and sounded drunk and (franky) stupid.

He didn't seem to actually be shopping for anything, he was just meandering around being obnoxious. Seemed like everywhere I went, he was either there or would show up there. I could hear him coming from like 30 feet away. Just had the urge to get the hell away from him.
I always use to assume people like those are usually dealers of certain "goods".

Reactions: WillYouStopDave

·
Super Moderator
8,724 Posts
Just took a peek at the neighbor's giant window to see what they're watching right now on their big screen tv .Can't tell what it is, but it looks like some ancient medieval show or movie.

·
Super Moderator
34,906 Posts
I always use to assume people like those are usually dealers of certain "goods".
Yeah. I don't know. He seemed like he was either drunk or stoned. I also once had an issue there where we went in and did our shopping and came back out and there was a pickup parked crooked in the spot beside us with the *** end almost over the line. The bed of it was full of junk and the people were right behind us as we came out of the store. They sounded completely stoned or something.

·
Administrator
9,186 Posts
I tried microwaving a cup, forgetting that it was gold-trimmed, and then saw sparks that looked like tiny bolts of lightning in the microwave. It was scary, and I couldn’t turn it off fast enough. Now I don’t feel like my lunch, and I hope my microwave hasn’t been damaged.

• Wow
Reactions: iAmCodeMonkey

·
Super Moderator
34,906 Posts
Couple of days ago, I was sitting here with my headphones on watching youtube and I heard this weird five beep chirp. At first I thought it was on the video I was watching but I went back and watched it again and it wasn't.

So I went out and sure enough, it was the carbon monoxide detector in the hallway. Which (I now know) the five short chirps that repeat every minute means the unit is dead and it's time to buy a new one. Which is fine because that one was from 2013 so it did it's thing.

After a bit of searching, I found an exact replacement (since I intelligently drilled holes in the wall to mount the old one and a new one wouldn't fit the same two screws unless it was the exact same one). So I put a battery in the new one, mounted it and forgot to put on some hearing protection before testing it. So like an idiot, I'm standing there right in front of it poking the test button and of course, the test is unbearably loud (because it's supposed to be). Just about deafened me. It's been probably 6 hours and my right ear is still ringing. So that was smart.

1041 - 1060 of 1076 Posts