Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm getting evaluated on monday and I'm thinking about telling the therapist about my past drug use. I'm not going to tell her that I smoke pot now, or the extent to which I used drugs in the past before getting kicked out of the first university I went to. Still I think it might be a good idea to tell her something like "I didn't have any friends until I started smoking pot in high school but then I did it too much in college and got kicked out" etc. etc. if the topic comes out.

Opinions please? Experiences?

I'm sure there will be questions about whether or not I've used drugs, and medication will probably come up. I'm worried about talking about these alot. I would like to try some medication (wellbutrin, dexedrine because I also have add, and klonopin sound good) but I think 99% of mental health professionals would not give me anything if they knew my past. But then again, a few would recognize that I was self medicating and that I should try these.

So how do I handle this?

·
Registered
97 Posts
I dunno, I told my therapist about my drug history in the past and he still wrote me a script for adderall. If it is a good therapist they will be monitoring your blood pressure and heart rate every time you go in to make sure it isnt going up too high. But then again, some doctors are pushers and will give you whatever you want. Doesn't hurt to tell the truth.

·
:No Worries:
182 Posts
I went through a few years of recreational use when I was around 20-21 years old. I ended up telling previous doctors about it but now I leave it out. I just don't want to take the chance on them skipping something that could help me because of it. But maybe I am just paranoid!

·
Registered
5 Posts
What benefit is it to tell them? How will telling them improve your treatment?
Hmm, maybe because the drug history consisted of really severe addiction and they might start abusing the one they're getting? The doctor probably knows best, if they're good.

·
Buried at Sea
5,104 Posts
I think it's important that the doctor/therapist understand (and for you to understand as well) why you use(d). If it was self-medication, and you recognize and admit that, then any good professional should work with you on finding medication that will work for you and that you feel comfortable using.

Denying you medication because of its potential for abuse is a sign that you should find another therapist.

·
Banned
642 Posts
Hmm, maybe because the drug history consisted of really severe addiction and they might start abusing the one they're getting? The doctor probably knows best, if they're good.
Good point. Tell your doctor the truth and risk not getting anything that will help you. I hope you like SSRI's anything beyond that will be tough to get now that your doc knows your a previous drug addict

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
It depends. My new pdoc somehow got the impression that I smoked weed the whole day and told that to my therapist when the only time I smoke is just before I go to sleep. Now my pdoc isn't really a big fan of me smoking, but my therapist is a little bit open to the idea (even used to use it too). It's a hit or miss, but you'll face resistance most of the time if you let them know that you smoke trees. It's more for your benefit though if you let them know because smoking weed might be one of the factors for your troubles.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Depends. If you want some Xanax for panic attacks or Adderall for focus, telling them you were once addicted to crack is not going to get you potentially addictive drugs.

If you have an addictive personality and are likely to abuse prescription drugs, you should tell your doctor. If you will use the medication how it's prescribed, don't tell.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Good point. Tell your doctor the truth and risk not getting anything that will help you. I hope you like SSRI's anything beyond that will be tough to get now that your doc knows your a previous drug addict
You're actually completely right cause that is all I got hah. What now?

·
Banned
642 Posts
^Switch docs. It's rare you will get any benzos for anxiety treatment on the first try. However, now your doc knows you have the tendency to be addiction prone, it will make it that much harder. We live in a CYA society, s/he will be very careful on what they prescribe you. Regardless what anyone says, most doctors will always have "my patient abuses drugs" in the back of there head.

Some docs understand drug abuse is a way of self medicating treatment and with proper treatment there maybe NO drug abuse. Still we live in a Cover Your A** society

·
In the doghouse
1,165 Posts
If you've used drugs to the point that it effected your everyday life, goals, etc(ie you were kicked out of university), i'd probably stay away from klonopin. It's probably a good idea to share with your therapist too, considering drug use can have a major effect on your mental health. I guess it depends on how serious your previous drug use was.

I don't see any reason he/she wouldn't give you Wellbutrin. Dexedrine I couldn't comment on. I know it has abuse potential, but you seem to be more into "downers" than "uppers".

·
Registered
228 Posts
No, unless it was telling them about a drug ( valium etc................) that you used in the past that helped that you would like to get prescribed again. I would still be careful with my words and not lead them to think i abused it, although if its something that really helps your condition you shouldnt have a problem abusing it. But what is it going to help by telling them "Hey i used to abuse cocaine"

·
She-Wolf
5,985 Posts
i personally would try to keep that to myself. i have said i've smoked weed, but i still really play it down when i smoke often. there are certain details in general that i avoid going in to depth about that could affect any future treatment regarding meds. example, if i had been open with my doctor on how my periodic obsession with my body/weight/eating habits, it'd be much less likely that he would have put me on ritalin or adderall. and if he did he would have been a ***** about monitoring my weight/eating habits.

i know everyone would advise otherwise and say "they can't make you better if you don't tell them everything!" but **** it, once you tell them certain things it's on the file permanently, and any future doctors look at it they will take it into consideration on how they treat you and possibly bring it up even if it was years ago.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts