Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tell me about what you normally do at work. It doesn't matter if you work retail or fast food. I want to know what you do at work. The reason I'm asking is because I really don't know what I want to do with my life, and maybe I can find something that I may enjoy by hearing your experiences. I lack any work experience, so even if you work fast food or even temp jobs, I want to hear how things go. What exactly happens at a temp agency? Do you submit a resume and find you temporary work based on that resume? Or do they just find you administrative/clerical jobs that have nothing to do with your qualifications?

My dream job would be a software engineer, but I feel extremely discouraged by the mathematical requirements. It seems with every step I go further with math, there is whole other new thing to learn. I kind of feel like computer science is more about math than it is about computers (but computers are nothing but number crunchers anyway). Then there's the fact that computer programming jobs are highly variable. Programming jobs want you to know multiple programming languages at once. Then there might be a whole different database system that they use. They might want you to be proficient in the specialized unix system they use. There will be probably 3 new technologies that came out in the past 6 months that they want you to know. I feel like I could possibly do it if I basically did nothing in my life except study new technologies/programming languages from morning to night (god it would be a stressful life).

I was also thinking about accounting. Accounting seems to be an extremely stable job. Your task is clearcut (I think), and the accounting principles you learn are the ones you'll always use. I figure the math requirements are not as strict as they are for computer science. But, like I said before, I lack any real world experience, so if anyone actually does these jobs for a living, describe to me what it's really like.

·
Registered
154,233 Posts
My dream job would be a software engineer, but I feel extremely discouraged by the mathematical requirements. It seems with every step I go further with math, there is whole other new thing to learn. I kind of feel like computer science is more about math than it is about computers (but computers are nothing but number crunchers anyway). Then there's the fact that computer programming jobs are highly variable. Programming jobs want you to know multiple programming languages at once. Then there might be a whole different database system that they use. They might want you to be proficient in the specialized unix system they use. There will be probably 3 new technologies that came out in the past 6 months that they want you to know. I feel like I could possibly do it if I basically did nothing in my life except study new technologies/programming languages from morning to night (god it would be a stressful life).
It's only the deadlines and multitasking that make it rough. The programming part, at least for me, isn't all that bad. I am a Software Engineer in Quality Control. I write programs that help me and my coworkers test our main software product.

·
Registered
98 Posts
That's what I thought about Accounting too - I just got a Masters in it (only because I already had a B.A. in an unrelated field; not because I was really serious about it and wanted to be a CPA or anything), but I have no job. Like with any other field, it seems to be about getting a foot in the door somehow to even get started, and that's almost never easy for anyone with SA. Plus with the economy (or at least the general population's opinion if it) that way it is, employers are going to be much pickier about whom they hire... they're going to want to hire someone with experience and an assertive/ambitious attitude. Or someone they know.
Also, I came to realize that Accounting doesn't necessarily not involve dealing with people quite a bit, especially if you get into Auditing or Tax because then you'd likely have to interact with clients.

So anyway I can't talk about any job since I don't have one, but I wish you luck...

·
Beautiful Mess
1,284 Posts
I am a Business Services Leader at one to the top financial companies in the world. Sounds prestegious- but it is not. I work closely with FedEx and a few other carriers. I got killed on my performance review for my soft skills. I also coach soccer in the spring and just recently volunteered to talk to 8th graders about economics. I go manic and sign myself up for this crap and have no clue how I manage to do it - but I do.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
I work as the assistant to the Behavioral Psychologist that does the Behavioral programming for the group homes we operate, the shelter workshop, and community DD/MI clients in the three county area here. I have been working at this job for 12 years now.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's what I thought about Accounting too - I just got a Masters in it (only because I already had a B.A. in an unrelated field; not because I was really serious about it and wanted to be a CPA or anything), but I have no job. Like with any other field, it seems to be about getting a foot in the door somehow to even get started, and that's almost never easy for anyone with SA. Plus with the economy (or at least the general population's opinion if it) that way it is, employers are going to be much pickier about whom they hire... they're going to want to hire someone with experience and an assertive/ambitious attitude. Or someone they know.
Also, I came to realize that Accounting doesn't necessarily not involve dealing with people quite a bit, especially if you get into Auditing or Tax because then you'd likely have to interact with clients.

So anyway I can't talk about any job since I don't have one, but I wish you luck...
That's really shocking to hear. If I browse job openings there are always tons of listings open for accountants. There are even alot of junior accountant openings and openings for bookkeepers. I actually figure that companies want to hire accountants now so that they can clean up their budget/tighten ends. I would think that skimping on an accountant is not what you want to do. I'm certain you'll find something.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's only the deadlines and multitasking that make it rough. The programming part, at least for me, isn't all that bad. I am a Software Engineer in Quality Control. I write programs that help me and my coworkers test our main software product.
That's interesting. The jobs I see that are mostly available for software engineers are usually from banks or hedge funds, and what I think they want you to do is probably write some software that applies algorithms or complex statistics math (like actuaries) to their financial data. The jobs do pay good though. I don't think I could handle that though. Example: http://seeker.dice.com/jobsearch/se...urce=19&FREE_TEXT=software+engineer&rating=99 Some of them even want you to have a Mathematics or Physics degree along with the Computer Science degree.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'm a librarian in a small public library. I assist in selecting and ordering new books, catalog library materials, answer reference questions, check books in/out for people, help people use the computers, and any other job that comes up in the course of a day.

·
Banned
791 Posts
That's interesting. The jobs I see that are mostly available for software engineers are usually from banks or hedge funds, and what I think they want you to do is probably write some software that applies algorithms or complex statistics math (like actuaries) to their financial data. The jobs do pay good though. I don't think I could handle that though. Example: http://seeker.dice.com/jobsearch/se...urce=19&FREE_TEXT=software+engineer&rating=99 Some of them even want you to have a Mathematics or Physics degree along with the Computer Science degree.
Accounting and comp sci will get you a similar job, that combination is in very high demand and very lucrative.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Right now I am a Teller Manager/Accounting Clerk. For the most part I enjoy it. I love the people I work with. Even though the job can get stressful and Customers can be mean, it has helped me to learn certain skills and deal with people. I am majoring in finance/accounting/economics to become a Credit Analyst.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I work full-time for a chain of clothing companies. They sold a bunch though and are getting rid of a few completely, Lane Bryant being one of them.
I work in the IT dept. I basically monitor systems, websites, telecom, blah blah blah everything that keeps a call center and a bunch of websites up and running. I also run what the call jobs to update the system and do backups and stuff. Print out refund checks. If you buy something from our catalog, I can see it. muahhahahaha.

The hours are rough and the job is a pain at times, but there's a lot of downtime too. Ive been messing around on here and other places online for the last 3 hours and getting paid for it....so c'mon it cant be that bad right? =D I can get my homework done here too :)

Im a full-time student too. Studying a completely different field. Im a scientist. Oh yeah. Soon as I graduate Im gone from I.T.

·
subtastic
7,692 Posts
I work retail. I order, receive, help customers, work the cash, that sort of thing. I find ordering and receiving very enjoyable but I sort of hate the rest.

·
Poorly Educated
4,912 Posts
I've been an auto/truck mechanic at an independent shop for 14 years working on both foreign and domestic vehicles. Some of the things I do include brake service/anti-lock brake system diagnostics, gasoline and diesel engine diagnostics and repair, transmission diagnostics and rebuilding (both manual and automatic), heating and air conditioning service, steering and suspension, and electronics systems diagnostics. I also custom bend and install exhaust pipes and systems, mount and balance tires, and do fabrication and welding work.
I also work on semi trucks and trailers doing things like fleet maintinence, air brake systems, electrical repairs, clutch and transmission service and repair, diesel engine diagnostics and repair, etc.

It's hard, dirty work but requires little social interaction. I'm responsible for my own tools and equipment which comes out of my pocket, but I make a decent living with what I'm doing and it seems to be a recession proof job.

·
mind
22 Posts
im a dental assistant and its exremely bad for someone with SA im kinda in the same boat also thinking of what to do maybe going back to college and go for a computer related degree... ive always wanted to be an animator just never had the social skills

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I work full-time for a chain of clothing companies. They sold a bunch though and are getting rid of a few completely, Lane Bryant being one of them.
I work in the IT dept. I basically monitor systems, websites, telecom, blah blah blah everything that keeps a call center and a bunch of websites up and running. I also run what the call jobs to update the system and do backups and stuff. Print out refund checks. If you buy something from our catalog, I can see it. muahhahahaha.

The hours are rough and the job is a pain at times, but there's a lot of downtime too. Ive been messing around on here and other places online for the last 3 hours and getting paid for it....so c'mon it cant be that bad right? =D I can get my homework done here too :)

Im a full-time student too. Studying a completely different field. Im a scientist. Oh yeah. Soon as I graduate Im gone from I.T.
Sounds like a fun job. What sort of scientist are you looking to become? How are you able to be a full time student and work full time too?

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
I just got laid off, but I used to work in an office as what I like to refer to as an office b1tch. It was my job to order office supplies, stock the lunchrooms with coffee, utensils, etc... keep the office looking orderly. When co wokers begin letting their areas get too messy it was my job to make sure it got cleaned up.

It was hardly a career oriented job, but it was good because I rarely had to talk to anyone.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I work as the assistant to the Behavioral Psychologist that does the Behavioral programming for the group homes we operate, the shelter workshop, and community DD/MI clients in the three county area here. I have been working at this job for 12 years now.
This sounds really intresting.

I work in retail as a cashier. It's highly boring, I don't recommend it. ;P

·
Registered
46 Posts
pharmacist

I recently quit chain pharmacy to work night shift compounding cancer drugs for a small company. It wasn't so much an SA issue. The buck stopped with me at work (power dynamic always in my favor). The sense of authority made dealing with the public a cinch. Nothing much beyond small talk as retail pharmacy is little more than a fast food style place to get drugs (people want in and out ASAP). Got along great with coworkers. However, I had moral/ethical issues with that career path. I'm truly blessed to have a career that I can switch jobs and travel anywhere to work at the drop of a hat.

My new job will be much more isolated, which could prove to be a problem. Fortunately I'll be moving to a much bigger city with more dating opportunities. Being new in a small-town is hell for SA (and I have a mild form). Everyone has known everyone else for pretty much their entire lives. It's tough being a perpetual outsider, especially being a Yankee in a southern state :p It feels like trying to climb out of a social sandpit.

It doubly depressing given my success in life. I should be on top of the world. But I've always had a melancholy disposition and it's very difficult for me to hide it. I try to focus on the positives, but glum old me shines through. No one wants to deal with that. The few girlfriends I've had have broken up with me due to my negativity/depression. Medication has done nothing. At least I'll be financially comfortable in my bachelorhood....

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Not even worth mentioning - everyone would laugh.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts