Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone experiencing this? like when i walk pass by a group of people, when all of a sudden i get really teary eyed? or even when i talk to people or just make eye contact to someone, when people look at you or even if you feel like people look at you why is that? Does someone experience this or can explain the cause of this?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
is it because you think their ridiculing you? i had this happen to me before . For me it was because i thought i was being negatively evaluated or something.
I was thinking that too but it cant be. When people praise me i get this too,also when talking to people that are at the top of the social food chain. I know its fear, but what triggers this fear? damn lol

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This happens to me. Usually when it does my face will freeze up and I'll be highly anxious. Then I get nervous about people thinking I'm crying which ramps up the anxiety.
Oh my, thats exactly what happens to me. The thought of them thinking that im crying makes it even worse. I feel so weak and effeminate and the feeling just skyrockets my anxiety.

·
Registered
332 Posts
i dont know maybe its a subconscious cry for help type of feeling you get. i used to get teary eye when i walked pass a homeless person. I had this thought like"why is the world like this?"

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
omg this used to happen to me so much, not anymore, when I was walking alone in the mall I thought I looked like a wierdo being all by myself and would have tears in my eyes, they would just happen, I wasnt crying.

·
Registered
74 Posts
A thought...

It just seems like you get a surge of energy/emotion when making eye contact or being close to others. Sometimes, any emotion can cause one to become teary-eyed. You don't need to feel sad or even joyous, just a strong SOMETHING. Eye contact can definitely do that. It's normal just not overly common.

Take care!:)

·
Anthropophobia
290 Posts
This happens to me. Looking at humans socializing makes me sad inside and I get teary eyed sometimes looking at them and wanna cry. Mainly in public. And another interesting crying thing is I get teary eyed and wanna cry when people talk to me or act really nice to me. I think one reason I wanna cry when some people are super friendly and comforting to me is that I feel vulnerable and comforted by them and I feel like being a sad but thankful child. Guess that's the best way to explain it. It's mostly a good thing but the tears are still... sad so it's weird.

·
Sooo..come here often?
204 Posts
Anyone experiencing this? like when i walk pass by a group of people, when all of a sudden i get really teary eyed? or even when i talk to people or just make eye contact to someone, when people look at you or even if you feel like people look at you why is that? Does someone experience this or can explain the cause of this?
I tend to sometimes get teary eyed when just talking to someone. No apparant reason. Just happens. I tend to think it's because my eyes are dry and irritated and they try to protect themselves by tearing up to moisturise. Don't know for sure.

But I also get teary eyed when in an uncomfortable or difficult situation - usually confrontational type situations where I am expected to respond to questions. I'm dreading a meeting we're having in two hours' time because I have to take minutes and I've requested they discuss and decide on a new secretary for these meetings, as I just don't feel up to it anymore. Tried it for this whole year and I hated it.

So no doubt they'll be asking me about it and I'll get all emotional and tear up. Hate it when that happens but it's part of life and part of standing up for yourself...

·
SASsy
18,116 Posts
Yup. Happens all the time. Sometimes they think I'm crying. LOL I don't know why. I think maybe it's a combination of tired eyes and anxiety.

·
Registered
370 Posts
my guess is it's part of the fight or flight response triggered by your anxiety just like other physical symptoms. Sometimes my mouth gets really dry and my muscles tighten up. One time when I was sitting in a lecture my left leg went totally numb and I couldn't feel it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts