Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
sa challenger
5,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Taught a different 1st/2nd grade Sunday School class yesterday for the first time. I was asking questions, asked one little boy a question, and a little girl said 'that's so and so, he never talks much" . I felt annoyed by the girl, and sad for the boy. What I did was ask her to be quiet and let the boy answer. It was a short, hardly audible answer, but at least I gave him the opportunity to answer. I wonder how we can make the talkers of the group more sensitive to how they could make the quieter kids feel? I was thinking about this later, and I thought, well, I could say " Isn't it wonderful that we have quiet thinkers in our lives?" Then my SA kicks in, and I think, yeah, but what if the kids isn't very smart? would that hurt him also? I need to think of something to say to help negate the insecurity for being called out for being quiet, and at the same time teach the initial commentor something nice to say.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Good for you for teaching SS. I want to, but SA is still in my way. :( Anyways, that's interesting that happened in your class. I think God brought you to that class to help that little boy. I would be annoyed at the little girl, too. I think you handled it great. Telling her to shut up (in nicer words, lol) and let him talk. If you're in the situation again, I would maybe say something about how God made all of us unique, some quiet, some not and we should be kind to one another. Most likely anything you say will embarass him a little, but it's a good opportunity to teach louder kids to be more considerate. I'm not much of a help, sorry.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts