Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
9,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's a growing body of research that finds taller people make more money.

The latest study, in Australia, found that being 6-foot tall brings raises annual income nearly $1,000 compared to men two inches shorter.

"Taller people are perceived to be more intelligent and powerful," according to the study, published recently in the Economic Record.

"Our estimates suggest that if the average man of about 178 centimeters [5 feet 10 inches] gains an additional five centimeters [2 inches] in height, he would be able to earn an extra $950 per year - which is approximately equal to the wage gain from one extra year of labor market experience," said study co-author Andrew Leigh, an economist at the Australian National University.

Other studies in the United States and Britain put the extra earnings at nearly that much per inch.

"The truth is, tall people do make more money. They make $789 more per inch per year," says Arianne Cohen, author of "The Tall Book" (Bloomsbury USA, June, 2009).

There's nothing else physically measurable about tall people that explains the salary boost, however, Cohen explained recently on American Public Media's radio program Marketplace. "They're not nicer. They're not prettier. They're not anything else. But they've sort of gotten a halo in society at this point."

Serious money over time

As the inches mount, the salary continues to, too.

To read the rest go here http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20090711/sc_livescience/tallerpeopleearnmoremoney

·
Registered
18,889 Posts
ANOTHER study on this? Do we really need this **** rammed down our throat every other week? Yeah I'm 5'8, not 6'2 -- I'm ****ed for life. I get it already.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Yeah, I've seen numerous articles on this same topic in the past.

I assume there must be some limit though. I personally don't see how being over 6'2" could be an advantage unless you're going to play in the NBA. At some point being even taller just makes you standout in a bad way. Not to mention problems like you'll be able to afford a Corvette with all the money that extra height brings you, but no way you're fitting in that car if tall.

·
taking a break from SAS
1,408 Posts
ANOTHER study on this? Do we really need this **** rammed down our throat every other week? Yeah I'm 5'8, not 6'2 -- I'm ****ed for life. I get it already.
Being tall has costs too ..
"In her book, Cohen notes that being tall can cost more, from additional food requirements to costlier clothes and the desire for outsized things like high-ceilinged homes."

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I don't see any reason to be outraged at whoever performed the research. They're just stating the facts, likely for the purpose of amending unjustified discrepancies where they might exist.

It's just kind of interesting to me. I've noticed several other short guys who seem to get a nerve struck whenever this topic is raised (whether in the context of salaries, dating, or whatever). I'm a fairly short guy too, and while I don't think the world is out to get me for it, it makes logical sense to me that we are slightly disadvantaged in various ways -- so simply having that fact pointed out doesn't bother me at all.

·
Force of Habit
91 Posts
Well i'm bummed. i'm only 5' 7.5
Me too!

I saw this on the news last night, and to be honest, I'm not convinced. In fact, about half of the more successful dudes I can think of are under 180cm (6') in height.

·
Registered
9,124 Posts
Me too!

I saw this on the news last night, and to be honest, I'm not convinced. In fact, about half of the more successful dudes I can think of are under 180cm (6') in height.
Very true. I have no success, very bad luck, and have great Germanic height :lol. At the very least I have somebody I consider a very dear friend, which is all the wealth one needs :D.

·
Banned
2,173 Posts
I don't know about earning more money, but i have definitely noticed that in college teachers and students tend to take me more seriously. I'm 187 cm, which i think makes me 6'1.5" .But maybe i'm always being taken seriously because i'm always so serious myself.

But if you gave me the choice, i'd rather be 6'0. I don't know, it feels like i stand out too much. Whilst playing sports i feel OK, but in college it feels a tad awkward towering over everybody.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I love the ad at the top of the page, how fitting! GrowTaller4Idiots.com...sounds legit. Hah.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Well, I'm 5'0", so I guess I'll look forward to a life of poverty (joking... I hope)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts