Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you guys ever feel like your not talking with your natural voice? SA can inhibit your self expression obviously but how much does it affect the way you talk?

·
Banned
776 Posts
I often find myself keeping my voice deliberately unemotional, because I don't feel comfortable letting people know how I'm feeling.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Apparently I have a good speaking voice, low and strong. However it really doesnt sound that way to me, kinda sounds whiny or very flat and droning I guess. In the end I over think what I'm doing which doesnt help either lol.

·
learning...
663 Posts
Yes, definitely. When I talk to people my voice becomes a kind of uniformly monotonous drone. There's absolutely no emotional expression to it, no fluctuation. My voice just becomes constricted by the anxiety.
I also think that over the years, for reasons I'm not entirely sure of, I've developed a fear of expressing any kind of genuine emotion when I'm in the company of others, to the point where I now feel as though I just react to people in an automatic, almost rehearsed way.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've notice myself doin the monotone thing to try hide how I'm feeling.
But when I'm in good humour its great to hear how confident my voice can sound. Its like wow thats me talking!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
But when I'm in good humour its great to hear how confident my voice can sound. Its like wow thats me talking!
Ive had times where I was feeling totally confident and my voice sounded like my own thoughts. Like their wasn't a barrier between thought and voice. They felt unified for once.. Wish I could always be like that.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I always speak to quietly, then I have to repeat myself. That then causes me to get nervous and mess up what I was trying to say.

·
Banned
227 Posts
I lose my voice, and talk strangely when I lose confidence. It also takes a lot more effort to speak and articulate sentences, as if I'm out of energy, mentally or something. However, my natural voice is apparently great, and I recieve comments on it quite often. The problem is, sometimes my good voice feels unatural too. I'm stuck between all these different voices and expressions, it's crazy.

·
Starlight and moonbeams
20,920 Posts
My natural voice is expressive. When I get socially anxious, it loses all expression (becomes deadpan.) So yeah, I'm sometimes not talking with my natural voice.

·
In my shiny bubble
2,428 Posts
In uncomfortable social situations my voice is not how it sounds when I am in situations which I am comfortable in. It comes out boring, low and sometimes too young

·
Banned
2,799 Posts
when I'm in anxious my voice gets lazy and deep, i guess to hide emotion.
Mine is the opposite. I know I have a lot of "normal" times, but I'm not sure what I sound like during those times because I'm not paying attention to my voice then. So I've reached the conclusion that I really don't know how I sound.

·
In Repair
196 Posts
I always feel like my voice is too squeaky and high pitched when I'm talking to people I'm uncomfortable with. It's like I'm so nervous my throat closes up and I have a hard time even getting words out.

·
No regrets, just love ♥
512 Posts
The only times I feel like I am using my natural voice is when I am with close family members.

Other than that, my voice is very soft and quiet. People even make comments like, "Oh, isn't her voice so cute? She is so quiet." In the early processes of finally getting diagnosed with SA, I read the notes my doctor was making over her shoulder. She had written that I had a "small, meek voice".

When I was in grade school, I had to give a speech. I used my 'natural voice' because I wanted people to hear me. My classmates were shocked when I was finished...they even said that it "sounded like I was shouting". That didn't really help my anxiety much.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have really bad SA.

I often get nervous when I talk to people. I usually have a hard time breathing and my throat closes up which makes it difficult to speak resulting in a weaker voice.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts