Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
{Astoundingly Anxious}
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...is a particularly huge challenge to me, and is something I must endure every day. How do you do it?

·
Banned
16,644 Posts
By being strictly formal and not talking about anything personal, which might stir up my anxiety and insecurities. This is how I appear strong in the eyes of normal individuals.

·
{Astoundingly Anxious}
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
By being strictly formal and not talking about anything personal, which might stir up my anxiety and insecurities. This is how I appear strong in the eyes of normal individuals.
Ah, yes, good idea. The only problem is, it just feels so awkward (mostly because of social anxiety disorder).

·
Registered
110 Posts
Talking about generic crap like the weather. Ugh...I wish social customs didn't demand small talk to be made between strangers.

·
The Game Master
582 Posts
Human beings love to talk about themselves. Even if I cannot relate to them, if I must associate with them I ask questions about their interests and merely smile and nod my head. It is mundane and time passes slowly but it is the only way to adapt and coexist with those you cannot find common ground with.

·
Banned
907 Posts
yeah this a usually a problem for me...I can small talk just fine but it always feels so boring and insincere...I like to delve into interesting topics or joke around with people..but it seems like most of the time people want nothing more but something along the lines of "how was you're weekend? oh cool thats great"...thats a pretty common phrase I guess....anyway, often it feels like im almost OBLIGATED to be fake around most people...

·
Registered
395 Posts
I don't relate to or like 95% of people so I just ignore almost everyone. Most people are *******s anyway so I don't feel bad about it.

·
Registered
591 Posts
That describes most of my life. Didn't relate to my family, most people at school (including college), church back when I had to go, same with old jobs... the list goes on.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Talking about generic crap like the weather. Ugh...I wish social customs didn't demand small talk to be made between strangers.
Good 'ol weather. It's either grandparents, random people whose minds are blown any time there's a change in weather, and climate change deniers -- they may not have a relationship with reality, but at least their ridiculous conspiracies and scripture quoting can be amusing at times.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I do the same exact thing. Just keep everything formal.

Ah, yes, good idea. The only problem is, it just feels so awkward (mostly because of social anxiety disorder).
I agree! It really does feel very awkward.

·
Banned
907 Posts
I do the same exact thing. Just keep everything formal.

People usually hate you for this.
hmmmm...idk about that...I usally get the opposite reaction..The more polite/formal I am, the more people can stand being around me..but when I start being myself and talking about my interests, I begin to stand out from the crowd by default..which people seem to not like..and it can be really uncomfortable so I always just keep quiet/formal in public...its pretty rare for me to actually find anyone I can be myself around.

·
Depressed
156 Posts
hmmmm...idk about that...I usally get the opposite reaction..The more polite/formal I am, the more people can stand being around me..but when I start being myself and talking about my interests, I begin to stand out from the crowd by default..which people seem to not like..and it can be really uncomfortable so I always just keep quiet/formal in public...its pretty rare for me to actually find anyone I can be myself around.
Actually I've noticed people feel quite offended if you don't give them the chance to talk about themselves.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I can't stand this ****.

Usually, I try to guide the conversation, I ask them pointed questions about themselves and they will usually carry on the convo.

I also try to guesstimate what kind of person they are and adjust myself to their habits.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I can get some really good rapport going in a 20 minutes convo. But it usually breaks down because I just don't care about their weird political conspiracies about corporations, their insipid talk about fashion or coworkers their kids with down syndrome.

·
Byebye SAS.
2,957 Posts
Talking to people you can't relate to, at all...

Everyone in my life.... lol I still talk to them though.

·
Hiring Assassin's
336 Posts
This is one of the hardest things for me so I'm afraid I can't offer much advice. I suppose small talk is the way to go, but man do I hate it. I hate awkward silence more though, so talking about the horrible weather it is. I try to keep the conversation away from anything about me but that rarely works and once people find out you're an unemployed, weird loser....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts