Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else have this sort of problem?

I absolutely hate talking on the phone because someone will say something and then it will take me a few seconds of thinking to come up with the right response. However, when texting, the few seconds of thinking is somewhat normal. The few people I do talk to generally text me because they know how much easier it is for me to text than talk on the phone.

·
Lost
342 Posts
I do yeah.

I hate talking on the phone because I never have much to say and it's always a little awkward for me...but yeah with texting you can get a few minutes there to think up a good response.

Everyone seems to prefer texting especially the younger ones. Yeah well who cares texting is fine.

I know someone that is very extroverted and chatty and all she does is text...she hardly ever rings.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I don't have a cell phone but since chatting is the same.. Well I can be chatting with a someone and just know what to say because I know they can't see or hear me. But when I'm on the phone I get self-conscious about my voice or I freeze up and don't know what to talk about..

·
Registered
13 Posts
I like texting better, I think I make clearer thoughts out when I text, my phone SA is pretty bad I would do almost anything not to have to talk on the phone :-/

·
sa challenger
5,079 Posts
I don't like talking on the phone to anyone. My mom lives far away but I still don't call her much, just don't like to call people. I have good friends but don't call them much at all. Maybe because on the phone you need to keep talking and in person you can pause some. I also hate it when the phone rings. Caller Id helps. I don't like to be torn away from whatever I'm doing, no matter how boring. If someone calls for a specific reason, that's not too bad.

·
SAS Member
31,285 Posts
I would think texting is easier because they don't know if you're thinking or taking forever to type.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I would take talking on a phone over texting any day, but I generally don't talk to to many people so I haven't had to deal with any phone anxiety, I have never been part of online chat before, don't know many internet acronyms, and can't stand punching all kinds of buttons on a tiny phone.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I get really anxious when the phone rings. Or when I need to call somebody. Thus txting all the way.
I too get anxious when the phone rings, but only when I think it's an important call from the school or even when my boyfriend calls lol.. I also get really anxious when I have to make a very important call.. grrrr it's frustrating sometimes lol.. I don't have much of a problem texting..

·
Registered
25 Posts
I hate talking on the phone to anyone who isn't my boyfriend. I freeze up and don't know what to say. I probably sound like i'm stumbling upon my words. If i'm forced to make a phone call, i seriously have to write down what i'm going to say before i actually make the call to avoid a huge embarrassment. =/ My heart is usually pounding. I always have quick responses through texting, though.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I do neither much because I have no one to talk to. My chatting ability still needs some work, but I am no longer much afraid of talking on the phone in public. I can talk loud if I want to. I used to feel terrified.

·
Beautiful Mess
1,284 Posts
Texting all the way. I actually had to change phones because I was addicted to the way the little letter would fly into my screen when I had a text on my Razor phone.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts