Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Positively Revolting Hag
6,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please excuse any grammar mistakes in my post, I'm really tired.

Today I decided that I just need to push myself to do things. When I walked into my building this morning I decided that I'd say hello to the first person I saw. After I'd returned from the bathroom a guy from my class was sitting down and I actually good morning first! And he actually heard me...haha. Most of the time I open my mouth no one hears me. After that I kind of when into shy mode again..

I had to hand in an assignment today and I wasn't sure if I answered one of the questions correctly. Usually I'd just let it go and not bother asking anyone.
Usually at lunchtime I'd go sit in the library to do work but I didn't actually have anything to do so I decided to just go to my class and wait for it to start. I saw a girl from my class sitting there and I thought to myself...I should go and ask her what she answered for the question. And then I thought to myself, pfft, as if you'd actually do that. But I did, my heart was racing and my voice was all shaky but I somehow managed to ask her. It turns out that I'm using the wrong form for my assignment and I might not be able to to my assignment again. We actually talked for a while too and she told me I have a beautiful smile haha.

I think it's funny how a mistake I made actually made something good happen. ..I'm sorry if this has made no sense at all haha.

·
Banned
1,375 Posts
That's great! I mean, it sucks that you were using the wrong form but good for you for setting a goal for yourself and following through. What you do next is important. Keep putting yourself out there, a little at a time and eventually you'll become more comfortable doing it. The best thing to do is don't think about it. Once you say "I should do this" go ahead and do it...

·
Geese
20,769 Posts
The best way to learn is by making mistakes and then figuring out why we made them and how we can make sure we do not make the same mistakes again. So it is not strange at all that a mistake on your behalf led to something good, and it's because you actually pushed yourself out of your comfort zone that led to something really positive for you.

That is the key with SA, breaking through that safe little bubble and realising that most of the time there really is nothing to be afraid of and instead you can really meet some nice people.

Well done!

·
Registered
58 Posts
congrats on going outside of your comfort zone! it is so hard sometimes to just push ourselves to do the little things, but i often find that when i do push myself to say hello to someone, or to ask a question, there is a huge sense of accomplishment. it's a weird feeling when i do something like that its almost like my body forces itself to say and do something, while my mind is still like, "what are you doing?!!" haha, if only i could do it more often! :)

·
Registered
234 Posts
Great job! It will get easier for you if you keep doing it, so keep it up! Sometimes that first step is the hardest and you've already taken it :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Please excuse any grammar mistakes in my post, I'm really tired.

Today I decided that I just need to push myself to do things. When I walked into my building this morning I decided that I'd say hello to the first person I saw. After I'd returned from the bathroom a guy from my class was sitting down and I actually good morning first! And he actually heard me...haha. Most of the time I open my mouth no one hears me. After that I kind of when into shy mode again..

I had to hand in an assignment today and I wasn't sure if I answered one of the questions correctly. Usually I'd just let it go and not bother asking anyone.
Usually at lunchtime I'd go sit in the library to do work but I didn't actually have anything to do so I decided to just go to my class and wait for it to start. I saw a girl from my class sitting there and I thought to myself...I should go and ask her what she answered for the question. And then I thought to myself, pfft, as if you'd actually do that. But I did, my heart was racing and my voice was all shaky but I somehow managed to ask her. It turns out that I'm using the wrong form for my assignment and I might not be able to to my assignment again. We actually talked for a while too and she told me I have a beautiful smile haha.

I think it's funny how a mistake I made actually made something good happen. ..I'm sorry if this has made no sense at all haha.
Bravo! That is a great step in the right direction, seriously. Remember to think about it in this way too....what you expected to happen, didn't happen! You are perfectly capable of talking to other people and they receive you just fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts