Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Hiding In My Den
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess this probably won't seem like much of a triumpth to anybody, but for me it is because my anxiety is pretty severe. Anyway I play world of warcraft and I'm in a guild. I've never ever felt comfortable enough to talk to anyone in the game though. But recently I decided to finally hook my mic up because I get on better with this guild then I ever have in previous guilds and trust them to not make fun of my voice or anything. I was so nervous at first and still am when I talk on it but its getting easier and easier for me.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Oh this is a major triumph!! I NEVER talk to my guildies- I am terrified of it. I play with a IRL friend and he is the ONLY person that I have used vent with. Even talking to him I feel silly and embarrassed. /sigh

·
Registered
761 Posts
Oh that's def a triumph to me. When I joined a major raiding guild, I ended up quitting the guild because I was too afraid to use vent (plus I was burnt out). Everytime someone asks me to get on vent, I say I don't have it "set up on this computer atm, later!" So now I don't really play much partly because I don't want to use it... :( The most embarrassing part about it though is the possibility talking on it in front of family members since I live at home right now.

I always wonder why talking on vent is never an issue brought up when people talk about WoW on this forum.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Funny thing for me. The more people on vent, the less anxious I feel. If its just me and one other person, I can hardly talk (I force myself to). And who knew so many SAers play wow :p

·
"Individual lil ditty"
46 Posts
Right 0n!!!

p.s. A Triumph is a Triumph n0 matter what that Triumph is!!! :)

·
Registered
289 Posts
And who knew so many SAers play wow :p
Escape from reality? I can talk to people in game easily... just not on vent, that's too 'real' and too easy for me to do something embarrassing. If I say something stupid in chat I can claim MT, hehehe.

·
Poster of Random Nothings
47 Posts
Escape from reality? I can talk to people in game easily... just not on vent, that's too 'real' and too easy for me to do something embarrassing. If I say something stupid in chat I can claim MT, hehehe.
I play WoW too! And in-game (typing) I'm actually pretty chatty, but on vent I'm silent most of the time.

Strangely, I think WoW helps me to interact with people. I don't imagine people in real life as avatars, but maybe it would help. :)

Grats on your triumph, man. If you learn to vocalize around strangers in WoW it can be brought over to face-to-face interactions. Learn lessons everywhere.

For the Horde!

·
Registered
230 Posts
This is a big victory in my opinion, just try to keep it up. :)

Took me 3 years of playing WoW before I started talking in vent, and I only did it because it was a necessity for arena and I REALLY wanted to get Gladiator.

Was really awkward at first but once I got used to it it was great. I dunno if I'd say it was helpful to face to face interactions but it was nice to know that with enough exposure I could be comfortable with it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
i'm in a team fortress 2 clan and i find it much easier to talk on the microphone than to people in real life. i was really nervous at first too, but after a while it becomes natural. its been a year now and when im playing i feel like i can be a normal person and talk to people.

anyway, my point is good for you! this will help you i think :)

·
Registered
761 Posts
Grats circular.

Yeah I'm pretty good with the ingame chat (typing), but still get "___'s quiet!!" when in a group situation.

Any druids excited for the new cat/bear forms?!?! I'm kind of sad :(, but it'll be fun.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I think the only reason I still play wow is because I top the charts all the time and it gives me a rush. Kinda sad that some guys get a rush from picking up chicks or going to parties. I get it from the right combination of button pressing. God I hate SA...

·
Registered
761 Posts
I think the only reason I still play wow is because I top the charts all the time and it gives me a rush. Kinda sad that some guys get a rush from picking up chicks or going to parties. I get it from the right combination of button pressing. God I hate SA...
Yeah, I know what you mean. That and because I'm really attached to my characters (esp my main).

·
Protector of the Den
15,048 Posts
Seems like a triumph to me too. Great job! I don't think I've ever talked to a stranger online. I don't have a mic now, but I didn't even when I had one.

·
Fitting In Here & There
808 Posts
I guess this probably won't seem like much of a triumpth to anybody, but for me it is because my anxiety is pretty severe. Anyway I play world of warcraft and I'm in a guild. I've never ever felt comfortable enough to talk to anyone in the game though. But recently I decided to finally hook my mic up because I get on better with this guild then I ever have in previous guilds and trust them to not make fun of my voice or anything. I was so nervous at first and still am when I talk on it but its getting easier and easier for me.
Hi, I don't even know what WOW is--not up on the video game thing (I'm much older), but I DO think it IS a big triumph!!! Shoot, I can't even IM with anyone...so I know to talk live is a big deal! And it's great that it's getting easier for you. I'm happy for you! :clap

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Yeah, I know what you mean. That and because I'm really attached to my characters (esp my main).
im not being an addict in denial. i know i can stop if i wanted to. problem is, i dont want to. i lose the only boost of confidence in my life and my only pastime. giving up wow would mean giving more time to being depressed. ill take wow tyvm.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Lmao, I have a mixed up relationship with WoW. Love it, hate it. I'm not really sure what my addiction status is. It doesn't really interefere with my daily LIFE atm, but I still come back to it all the time, after 5 years, and the few times that I am away I can be sucked back in just by seeing my main's name somewhere (it's a common word). SO yeah :) I'm more attached to the game because I have a second identity there, and still talk to people from 5 years ago.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Congrats on the vent! I'd say that definitely is a big achievement... as talking to strangers you've met online can be a bit daunting at first. I say that from personal experience, as the first time I ever did it I was quite nervous myself.

·
Suit up!
390 Posts
Hey, that's a huge accomplishment to me. My exboyfriend was majorly into WoW and he'd try and get me onto Vent with him so I could 'share the experience' and do things with him, but I was always too afraid to talk. If I did I'd only give like a yes or no answer and after a while I just pretended that my microphone stopped working.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts