Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided to try to combat my social anxiety a bit. Two things I decided I need to change to feel better is my diet/eating habits and exercise. I'm really not overweight or completely out-of-shape, but I've let myself slip a lot. I wasn't eating very healthy, despite keeping a normal weight, and I started to do practically no exercising.

Last week I changed my diet so I eat a small breakfast at least, and then healthy through the rest of the day. I used to never really eat breakfast.

I also started jogging. I thought this would be a lot worse that it has been. I get nervous just having to walk past a bunch of strangers on a trail, and the awkward "hello" or look sometimes. I found it's actually not bad jogging, as I keep my mind more occupied on what I'm doing. I started doing 2 miles and now on my seventh day I'm up to 5 miles. I'm also to the point where my legs don't feel really tight and sore the rest of the day or day after. I get really out of breath, but I can now catch my breath pretty quickly when I'm done.

Just doing this for a week has made my mood feel a lot better. I haven't been really depressed this week like I have been previously and it makes me feel a little more confident about myself too. Now it's just a matter of making it routine so I keep up with it.

·
speechless
1,710 Posts
Good for you Chad!! Ya excercise is REALLY important! It can improve anxiety & depression!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Yay good for you! I'm exactly where you're at, not overweight or anything but done a lot of unhealthy eating and being lazy. I started working out last week and I feel a little better already. I haven't gotten the courage to job yet because I'm afraid I'm in worse shape than I think. But you've actually encouraged me a bit :)

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good for you Chad!! Ya excercise is REALLY important! I didn't realize how so! For years I've done very lil to no excercise & it's done me alot of damage! I hope I put more effort into being more active but it's hard coz i'm afraid to go out & i get such bad thoughts when i'm out alone about ppl thinking bad things about me!
Sorry to hear that :( Well, what helps me is to just remind myself that most of what I think others might be thinking of me is mostly irrational, and they probably don't care too much about what I'm doing. Of course it's always easy to say that. I often find myself just overanalyzing situations, but I dont necessarily think others are thinking badly of me.

TaniaN said:
Yay good for you! I'm exactly where you're at, not overweight or anything but done a lot of unhealthy eating and being lazy. I started working out last week and I feel a little better already. I haven't gotten the courage to job yet because I'm afraid I'm in worse shape than I think. But you've actually encouraged me a bit :)
Glad I could be of some encouragement ;p As long as you can make it past the first few days, it gets a lot easier.

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^ Lol...I figured as much

Yay...I've actually kept it up for this week too =D I'm up to 6 miles jogging now. I've been pushing myself to go further each day. I'm to the point where I either have to start waking up earlier or jog faster...lol. I do it before I go to work, so I have limited time.

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
You ran six miles after only six days? Wow! It has taken me eight years to work up to that. :boogie :boogie :boogie

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You ran six miles after only six days? Wow! It has taken me eight years to work up to that. :boogie :boogie :boogie
After 11 days :p It's definitely a jog though...I may run the last small part of it to finish though. I should probably try to pick-up the pace now, as I'm not getting winded as easily.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts