Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a digital camera a year ago and I've made many attempts at taking pics of myself. No matter what angle I shoot from, flash or no flash, high light, low light, happy expression, serious expression... I always look hideous. I guess I'm not very photogenic. When I look at myself in the mirror, I appear a 100x better than I do in any photograph.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
same here!! its so weird!!

maybe in the mirror we can make adjustments, thats why

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yep, same here. I wonder how others see us. Looking like we do when we're in a photo or the way we do when we look at ourselves in the mirror.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Lol that happens to me too.. I can look at myself in the mirror, pose and not think much of it. But if I take a photo of myself in that same pose, I look different and it bothers me because I think I look retarded or something.. My boyfriend wanted me to send him photos and I took like 50 of them and deleted almost all of them because I didn't like the way I came out.. The one's I looked ok in, I edited them because they were close-ups and I didn't want all my pores showing(eww) lol.... I don't know, maybe I over-react but I sitll don't like the way I come out in pictures.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I hate having pictures taken. It makes me self-conscious about all my flaws. If the flash is too bright it just highlights everything that's wrong with your face too.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Same here, but when i got systems camera which is much better than ordinary digital camera, i started to look very nice in the photos :D.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Yeah, I'm extra ugly in pictures, especially when taken MYSELF. They look better when someone else takes them, but no one takes pictures of me. In the mirror I think I look ok sometimes, but usually not. I'm not sure what other people think really... my views about that change from second to second, literally.

·
Registered
18,888 Posts
Consider the lighting of the room you're in. Sometimes the flash isn't enough. Yes, it does "a job", but it's not going to do you any favours in a dark or poorly lit room.

It also depends on the camera. Some are at their best indoors. Some are at their best outdoors. Figure out the environment it's best in and take pictures there.

And always sit the camera down and use its timer vs. holding it outward with your hand.

A lot of people hate their own pictures, yet objectively most people look (at the least) decent. They're just focused on their flaws which everyone has.

·
SAS Membr
1,082 Posts
Try to use a tripod or at least set your camera on something. You're not going to take very good pics if you have to hold the camera. Also take a lot of them. I used to take thirty bad pics for every one that I liked.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I am so very unphotogenic. The flash blinds me every time. And I become so self conscious when posing for the actual picture. Every time I go on vacation, I prefer to take shots of the scenery, why mess up the shot by putting myself in it?

·
Registered
69 Posts
That happens to me all the time, I always look terrible and ugly in photos but better in the mirror, I dont know how it works but it seems strange to me you'd think we would look the same thats why I have to try and pull it off when im taking photos and try to put out a right experession

·
Done with SA
1,818 Posts
I try to avoid having my picture taken or taking my picture.
It took me an awful lot to put that crappy picture up in my avatar, but I figured, it looks okay, so I'll do it.

·
Explode or Implode
83 Posts
I usually don't like letting people take pictures of me, I like to feel some sort of control over what angle is photographed since my face looks very different form different angles.
I've really been avoiding the camera completely lately though..

·
Spread Your Wings
1,512 Posts
True. I don't flinch when I look at myself in the mirror....but when the photos are out. I find myself cringing. I didn't know I looked that scary :(

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm not photogenic at all. I really dislike having my picture taken and avoid it at all cost. My face is quite round.. difficult to find a good angle. Rarely take pictures of myself.. always turn out awful.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
I don't really like mine except for when I do artistic nude shots. I took this one jumping into the shower and it created this cool rainbow effect with the steam..
:shock :D

I bought a digital camera a year ago and I've made many attempts at taking pics of myself. No matter what angle I shoot from, flash or no flash, high light, low light, happy expression, serious expression... I always look hideous. I guess I'm not very photogenic. When I look at myself in the mirror, I appear a 100x better than I do in any photograph.
Futures, I'd suggest taking photos without flash (I think they look more natural). Have the camera at your eye level, or slightly above (I've found that below eye level always looks unflattering on me - although it might work for you?). Also, try not to have the camera too close to your face, because it will appear a little distorted. Good luck, and have fun ;)

1 - 20 of 54 Posts