Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
True, and I actually believe now, in certain anti-depressants, the anxiolytic effects are now somewhat similar and comparable to benzos in terms of helping anxiety, but with far less cognitive impairment.

·
3rd SAS Battalion
886 Posts
Yeah it's now got to the stage where I take a whole week's worth over two days and spend the rest of the week sweating it out.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
it can be argued but ativan is indeed the safest purest and least addicting of the benzos, as for it bein functional, it can help u get past big hurdles or anxiety situations but most benzos make u feel like a zombie and stops your ability to process information as well so it helps in some ways and temorarily worsens other ways in daily functions
Because of it's potency, relatively short half-life, fast onset of action, strong binding to the GABA-receptor-complex and it's inactive metabolite Ativan (lorazepam) has a high potential for abuse and dependence.

·
Registered
647 Posts
umm that applies for all the benzos, ativan has less drug-drug interactions making it less dangerous, it is a very pure drug making it also less dangerous, every benzo is potent and very dangerous but ativan works better for most people shortacting and is somewhat safer

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
umm that applies for all the benzos, ativan has less drug-drug interactions making it less dangerous, it is a very pure drug making it also less dangerous, every benzo is potent and very dangerous but ativan works better for most people shortacting and is somewhat safer
What I wrote above does absolutely not apply for all benzos, read up the pharmacology and pharmacokinetics of the different benzos and you will eventually figure that out. Because a drug is very 'pure' doesn't make it less dangerous; you seem not to understand what the term "potency of benzodiazepines" means and I wouldn't say that "every benzos is very dangerous".

·
Registered
647 Posts
the only thing that differs is shortacting and long but all benzos are very dangerous whether its used for insomnia or anxiety, the purer a drug is, it is usually less dangerous than a nonpureer drug. you dont seem to understand what "pure" means. and yes i have read the pharmocology of different benzos

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
the only thing that differs is shortacting and long but all benzos are very dangerous whether its used for insomnia or anxiety, the purer a drug is, it is usually less dangerous than a nonpureer drug. you dont seem to understand what "pure" means. and yes i have read the pharmocology of different benzos
Maybe you read it, but forgot most of the facts:

Benzos not just differ in half-life & duration of action but also in potency, onset of action and have "varying sedative, hypnotic (sleep-inducing), anxiolytic (anti-anxiety), anticonvulsant, muscle relaxant and amnesic properties". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benzodiazepine

If used correctly (eg. as needed [prn] for anxiety) benzos are safe drugs with very low toxicity.

It would be wonderful if you could give your definition of "drug purity".

·
Registered
647 Posts
That page from wiki is inacurate, most of it is correct but alot of it is inaccurate data, use the correct sources to get information, that would be awesome. If you listened correctly I said benzos are dangerous, I did not say anything about usage. Dangerous is dangerous, if used correctly it is safer but still dangerous, i have known people who used Xanax right and couldnt come off the 2mg bars so they are dangerous when used right as well

·
taking a break from SAS
1,408 Posts
Maybe you read it, but forgot most of the facts:

Benzos not just differ in half-life & duration of action but also in potency, onset of action and have "varying sedative, hypnotic (sleep-inducing), anxiolytic (anti-anxiety), anticonvulsant, muscle relaxant and amnesic properties". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benzodiazepine

If used correctly (eg. as needed [prn] for anxiety) benzos are safe drugs with very low toxicity.

It would be wonderful if you could give your definition of "drug purity".
I am curious, which benzo. is the least sedating and has the most muscle relaxant properties?

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
I am curious, which benzo. is the least sedating and has the most muscle relaxant properties?
Benzos with strong(er) muscle relaxant properties are in general sedating (eg. Temazepam, Valium) - Alprazolam on the other hand is in considered less sedating but not a good muscle relaxant.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I remember taking valium in hospital when they were trying to 'calm' me down for the operation, since my heart rate was going crazy from the anxiety. Not sure what doses they gave me but it didn't work... I guess valium for me just doesn't work so well. It's shame really, since it's the only benzo in the UK that doctors only really still use, but even that's rare. Klonopin and Xanax here have to be used off license unfortunately, and again that's even rarer to get. Maybe it's best I don't have access either Klonopin and Xanax since it would they seem to be more effectice for the type of anxiety I have, therefore being more addictive for me.;)

21 - 32 of 32 Posts