Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been on a whole slew of meds before and find that benzos help big time. (The other stuff ehh) They make everything more fluid and easy going for me. The only problem is tolerance, addiction, increased dosage. I've been on 1-3mg of klonopin for the past 2.5+ yrs and my dosage varies. It definitely has increased in number of days per week used and amnt since I started. My point I guess is, it helps hands down, and I'm in a funk. Not working or going to school this year, and severing some friendships/relationships left me needing it even more with simple interaction. At the same time, I'm tired of denying my self of things due to fear-- friendships, career, further education. I know taking klonopin daily or close to it would make things so much easier. Has anyone felt this way, decided f** it, take it since it improves quality of life and makes you functional (and if so, how long have you been on it). Or perhaps found better alternatives?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi fraidycat,

I don't know whether or not you read my recent thread, but I was just released from the hospital yesterday after having a seizure from Xanax withdrawal (after skipping a dose for just one day!). I completely agree with your thread, however. The doctors didn't seem to care that Xanax was the only thing that ever helped with my anxiety attacks. I don't know when physical health ever became more important than mental health, but I think they are both of equal importance. In fact, I was talking to the nursing supervisor while I was there, and she was talking to me about how her husband has panic attacks and that Klonopin is the only drug that ever worked for him, so she was sympathetic to my situation. I think it comes down the fact that, though we might all have SAD, we are all different, living under different circumstances and varying degrees of the condition. If Klonopin is the only drug that helps you, than I am of the opinion that as long as you are careful, by all means take it. Good luck to you :)

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
I agree that if benzos are the only thing that works then you should be able to take them. gilbertgrape: xanax is probly a poor choice of benzo for daily use due to having such a short life, (the reason im guessing you got a seizure from missing a dose?) Longer acting benzos such as klonopin are preferred for long term daily use.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Ive been through the same situation. It started out being 2-3 days a week, then it got to the point where i noticed how much they were helping and started taking them 3-4 days a week because of what i could do on them. I wanted to take them everyday though, but knew it couldnt be done as i had already grew tolerance over 6 months. So thats when i knew i had to get something everyday to help and reduce the days i take benzos. I now take nardil and benzos PRN.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Hi fraidycat,

I don't know whether or not you read my recent thread, but I was just released from the hospital yesterday after having a seizure from Xanax withdrawal (after skipping a dose for just one day!). I completely agree with your thread, however. The doctors didn't seem to care that Xanax was the only thing that ever helped with my anxiety attacks. I don't know when physical health ever became more important than mental health, but I think they are both of equal importance. In fact, I was talking to the nursing supervisor while I was there, and she was talking to me about how her husband has panic attacks and that Klonopin is the only drug that ever worked for him, so she was sympathetic to my situation. I think it comes down the fact that, though we might all have SAD, we are all different, living under different circumstances and varying degrees of the condition. If Klonopin is the only drug that helps you, than I am of the opinion that as long as you are careful, by all means take it. Good luck to you :)
Well I think it's pretty obvious from the doctor's perspective. Benzos upregulate GABA, and once you're tolerant to them, your brain upregulates glutamate to cancel this effect out. Once you have no benzo, you get less GABA, same amount of glutamate, and BAM, you get your seizure. If you get a seizure from missing one day of Xanax, I don't want to imagine what your withdrawal will be like. Benzo withdrawal is pretty nasty, and I think the doctors are using this line of thinking. Once you go through that withdrawal it's gonna be ten times that seizure perhaps, and you won't be worrying about your mental health then...

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gilbertgrape, I'm sorry to hear about your xanax incident. It sucks to find something that helps so much be so dangerous (for lack of a better word). It's a double edge sword. I try a great deal to take benzos carefully but it's hard...sometimes it's easier to just take it, and move on with life but I keep wondering how long before the next dose increase, or i'm shaking and panicked cause it's out of my system. I'm going to browse through your thread about the xanax incident, but do you know what you're planning on doing next? taking it routinely or decreasing it?

I've heard of ppl taking benzo vacations to control tolerance? Does anyone know how that's done without the need to supplement benzos with something more potent/risky. It is just like going on 2-3 days without benzos then going back on if on a moderate dose?

I'm planning on adding some sort of meditation/spiritual activity and maybe a slight exercise routine or something to calm the mind and dissipate the extra energy,pent up anxiety. Motivation really isn't at a high now right now :-/

Castaway, I've tried both Nardil and Parnate...it was pretty bad. I couldn't concentrate, mental fog, experienced a lot of ups and downs, either I was zombie like or overly aroused and jittery, bowel problems, insomnia...ehhh...I stayed on it for maybe 6 mnths or so for each.

·
Registered
228 Posts
ive heard of ppl taking benzo vacations to control tolerance? Does anyone know how that's done without the need to supplement benzos with something more potent/risky. It is just like going on 2-3 days without benzos then going back on if on a moderate dose?
[/B]

Im on 4 day break from klonopin :) fraidycat what was your nardil dosage?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Im on 4 day break from klonopin fraidycat what was your nardil dosage?

good for you castaway-ive only gone 2 days without as i have to work and meeting clients without is a sa nightmare, the nardil has helped me cut down thou as i said in the other thread.

had xanax in the past-was just like valium to me-worked for a few hours-didnt feel any effects next day-unlike klonos where you feel kinda half relaxed the next day.

maybe change your xanax to klonopin?

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Castaway, I've tried both Nardil and Parnate...it was pretty bad. I couldn't concentrate, mental fog, experienced a lot of ups and downs, either I was zombie like or overly aroused and jittery, bowel problems, insomnia...ehhh...I stayed on it for maybe 6 mnths or so for each.
You may benefit from mirtazapine, it's the only antidepressant that I've ever been on which hasn't caused me to be overly aroused and jittery, G.I. problems, insomnia, etc.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hey Pete, Castaway, it's great that nardil work for you guys. It helped with some things but the side effects were too much me for. I started at 15 went to 90mg. Every increase lead to a ton of readjustment.

Jim, with mitrazapine (Remeron) isn't weight gain and sleepiness a problem? ehh..i'm not crazy about weight gain but I can deal with 5 extra pds if it helps. I guess most take it at night, if so wouldn't that diminish it's effectiveness? have you been on mitrazapine before, if so effects?

·
Registered
609 Posts
if i took benzos every day, i would be a lazy/fat sedated mess...i need a stim mixed in to help me be functional....many people i know take benzos everyday and they swear by them although many of them are addicted and kind of regret starting them in the first place..its a catch 22 situation...

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Jim, with mitrazapine (Remeron) isn't weight gain and sleepiness a problem? ehh..i'm not crazy about weight gain but I can deal with 5 extra pds if it helps. I guess most take it at night, if so wouldn't that diminish it's effectiveness? have you been on mitrazapine before, if so effects?
Yes, I've been on it for about 4 months now. Yes it does make you sleepy but, I find that at 30 mg or less I'm pretty much not tired by the time I wake up the next day, however the halflife is about 24-30 hours so no theres no diminish in effectivness. Probly the most effective anti insomnia drug I've ever tried to be honest. As for the weight gain, I found it eased off a bit over time and could be controlled by proper diet and exercise, I kind of like that effect anyway coz in the past whenever my anxiety got really bad I would find it hard to eat as I would feel nauseated.

·
3rd SAS Battalion
886 Posts
I take benzo vacations all the time, sometimes my mailing them to myself to make them last. My key to it is to knuckle down and take the sweat and heat.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I've been taking lorazepam for almost a year now for my anxiety and I find it's the only med that does help my anxiety.
I take 2mg per day . 1mg in the morning and 1mg in the evening. I am very concerned about seizures though , other than that I don't feel sleepy
or anything , just relaxed . :)

·
Registered
647 Posts
Chill out, benzos are not as dangerous as people think they are unless you are overdosing, I used to take them and they helped big time but they are still not very safe. DO NOT USE XANAX. Its the nastiest benzodiazepine and the most addicting. Try not to use them too often and only for descrete panic attacks. The safest, least addicting and purest benzo to use is Lorazepam (Ativan) for short acting and Clonazepam (Klonopin) for long acting but dont use it more than 2 times a day becuase then it will accumulate in your liver and you might end up in the ER

·
Lazy guy on the couch
54 Posts
When I was working, I would normally take more Klonapin, than I do now.. Normally I would take 1 mg in the morning and 1 mg in the afternoon. It worked great, And I had to speak in groups of people, Normally (5-10) people... I was always so damn tired though when I took more.... I was one of the younger people in my dept, so I think that I lived some crazy night life, and was just really tired the next day from staying out late...... On another note, People have sometimes though I was on some kind of pain medication, but I was just so tired and was so spacey....

·
Registered
90 Posts
Some people really just need them to control anxiety and stress. If your not one of those people, then you will run into problems. I don't think Xanax is a good idea long term, but Valium or Klonopin helps some people.

I'm currently taking Klonopin 2mg a day & have been for a very long time, it still works to a degree. I'm seeing the Doctor tomorrow about increasing it. I'm wondering if the dosage is increased, whether it will help for longer than a few weeks, or whether the body will habituate to it & then feel exactly the same as the previous dose?? I think I asked that before & a doctor said their is no way to know, but not sure

As a side note, it does not make me tired at all, just more relaxed. So, I use it when I am too stressed out to sleep, to help me sleep. I don't take more than the prescribed dosage and haven't had any incidents in taking it for at least 2 or 3 years.

I also tried Nardil, which was fantastic. Unfortunately, around 8-9 months into taking the medication at a dose between 75-90mg(I'm a bit above 90kg and the recommended dose is 1mg per kilogram) I became hypomanic & eventually manic(I believed the actually mania happened when the took me off of both Nardil and Clonazepam, simultaneously, cold turkey). Now the doctors won't touch it with a 10 ft pole, though it's the only med to work since I got Depression and then SA 5 years & dozens of meds ago. Anyways, I hope someday a doc will actually try it out at a lower dose like 45-60.

Thats just my explanation and history, for what it's worth:)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Chill out, benzos are not as dangerous as people think they are unless you are overdosing, I used to take them and they helped big time but they are still not very safe. DO NOT USE XANAX. Its the nastiest benzodiazepine and the most addicting. Try not to use them too often and only for descrete panic attacks. The safest, least addicting and purest benzo to use is Lorazepam (Ativan) for short acting and Clonazepam (Klonopin) for long acting but dont use it more than 2 times a day becuase then it will accumulate in your liver and you might end up in the ER
I have to disagree Lorazepam being the least addicting benzo it might be one of the safest fiscally, Lorazepam its one of the most addictive like Alprazolam (Xanax) it as some of the most Bizarre withdrawal symptoms you can imagine, believe me I just furnished a two month withdrawal from xanax it was pure hell stop wile your ahead take care ...

·
Registered
619 Posts
Gilbertgrape, I'm sorry to hear about your xanax incident. It sucks to find something that helps so much be so dangerous (for lack of a better word). It's a double edge sword. I try a great deal to take benzos carefully but it's hard...sometimes it's easier to just take it, and move on with life but I keep wondering how long before the next dose increase, or i'm shaking and panicked cause it's out of my system. I'm going to browse through your thread about the xanax incident, but do you know what you're planning on doing next? taking it routinely or decreasing it?

I've heard of ppl taking benzo vacations to control tolerance? Does anyone know how that's done without the need to supplement benzos with something more potent/risky. It is just like going on 2-3 days without benzos then going back on if on a moderate dose?

I'm planning on adding some sort of meditation/spiritual activity and maybe a slight exercise routine or something to calm the mind and dissipate the extra energy,pent up anxiety. Motivation really isn't at a high now right now :-/

I use Xanax most days of the week, and I have no problem stopping it for a few days if I don't need it. My dose is only .5mg, so I'm sure the effects would be heightened with a higher dose. I have taken 1mg before, but that's as high as I've gone. I'm worried about tolerance and addiction too. It's easy for people that don't have anxiety to tell you not to take a risky/"dangerous" drug. When I was about 8, my aunt sent my mom articles about the risks of antidepressant use in children - she's convinced psychiatric meds are pure evil, and won't even give her son the ADHD meds that he DESPERATELY needs.

It's definitely a drug to use with caution, but I say keep using it as long as you are careful and monitor your dose. If the doseage becomes higher than you feel comfortable with or it ceases to help you, taper off slowly with your doctor's advice. Then maybe try a different benzo, or perhaps a beta blocker like Inderal for PRN use. I know how you feel - the benzo doesn't eliminate anxiety, but it reduces it enough to be able to function somewhat normally.

·
Registered
647 Posts
it can be argued but ativan is indeed the safest purest and least addicting of the benzos, as for it bein functional, it can help u get past big hurdles or anxiety situations but most benzos make u feel like a zombie and stops your ability to process information as well so it helps in some ways and temorarily worsens other ways in daily functions

1 - 20 of 32 Posts