Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have help from the Mental Health Assc. and Vessid to find a job. I told the woman at MHA that I just want a part-time to get my feet wet, to kinda break me in so to say. I want something that is 2-3 days a week or something that is just a few hours each day. If not, I feel like I'll be setting myself up for failure. Last time I trired to work a full-time job I became so depressed I was borderling suicidal.

I also told her that I have skills working on cars/trucks, welding, and things like that.

There really isn't much around here for part-time jobs unless you want to work at a fast food place or Wal-Mart, and neither are SA friendly. Not to mention that I would have no interest in a job like that.

Anyway, she keeps telling me about all these jobs that I'm not interested in. Some are full-time and some part-time, but they're jobs that I have no interest in.

I feel like I really should go for some of them since this poor woman is going through the trouble of telling me about them, even though I already know about most of them because I've been looking myself.

I'm so afraid this woman is going to think that I don't want to work at all. I'm afraid she's going to think that I just keep making excuses not to apply for some of these jobs.

I just don't know what to do. I even thought about starting a small welding business so I wouldn't have the anxiety of working for someone else.

I need advice. What should I do?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know I won't get my dream job, but I also don't want something I'll hate everyday. I just want a job were I wouldn't dread going to work because I hate the work.

I think you're probably right, I should talk to her and discuss it with her. She seems like a decent person. It's just hard for me to speak up for what I want.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hema said:
Agh, hon, you have to speak up for yourself. If you're like me, and you take a job to "Please" someone else, and IF you don't do as well as you want (being a perfectionist) I would beat myself up afterwards! Be true to yourself!
Wow. That is me to a tee.

I just saw this ad for a welder but I'd have to travel like and hour to get there and it's full-time. I have a lot of experience welding and I even took a class, but I think they're probably looking for someone with more experience than me since they're paying $19.14 with full benefits to start!

If I felt like I could handle the traveling and a full-time job, I'd definitely go for this one! Jobs like that are hard to find. It's practically my dream job.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts