Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about transferring as a Sophomore next year. Everyone says it is easier to adjust the second time around but, I don't think it will be. Everyone else already has their friends and i will miss out on the whole freshmen bonding experience. I am a shy and sort of socially awkward person and making friends as a freshmen was hard enough. How on earth will I be able to make friends as a transfer? It will be especially hard because all my friends from home are staying at their current schools next year. I feel like I will be going through a very daunting experience all by myself. I just hate the feeling of being behind. After a year my high school friends will be really close with their college friends and be completely settled in. And I will be starting over completely from scratch.
Do you think transfer dorms exist? Can transfers live with freshmen? Or should i just transfer to a school that I already have friends at? (There is a school that one of my friends attends that would be a perfect fit for me)

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I've transferred before, after three years at one university I moved to another in another city. You have it right. Res year is key for creating that social foundation and I never felt as though my current school is my home base as I did with the other.

Some schools have dorms for transfers, yes, but I opted out of that because I wasn't up for being the 23 year old among 18 year olds. Noooo thank you. I found an apartment with a distant friend and we became tight very fast. When she left, I found an ad for three people looking for another housemate. Done! They were very very nice people. I made friends by meeting the people they brought home and chatting to the person next to me in each class. Oh, and finally gathering up the courage to join dance classes. Still, it was never the same as my experience with residence.

Why are you transferring?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts