Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm switching from Lexapro to Zoloft. Unfortunately, Lexapro never really did anything for my OCD or anxiety, and it also made me incredibly tired. I'm a little wary of trying Zoloft, but it's the one my doctor suggested. His pharmacology knowledge isn't very strong though, so I'm hoping someone could confirm what he told me. I'm on 20mg of Lexapro. He told me that 50mg Zoloft is equal to about 10mg Lexapro. When switching, I simply take the Zoloft in place of the Lexapro that I would have normally taken. He advised me to take 50mg to start.

Does this sound right? Is there anything that I should be aware of? I appreciate the help as usual!

As a side note, how is it that my psychiatrist is so clueless with medication? I mean he was asking me if Zoloft was FDA approved for OCD. I'm thinking to myself that's pretty bad when you have to ask your patient. I know so many of the drugs are used off-label...I don't even see the point in worrying about it. Then he was like...maybe we should try Luvox...that has approval for OCD.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey I'm actually switching from Lexapro to Zoloft right now. The way my psychiatrist described taking these meds, "It's not an exact science". In other words... it's hard to say what the best way to do it is because everyone reacts differently.

I was on 20mg of lexapro for about 5 years, and about 2 years ago upped to 30 mg. I'm doing a "slow transition." I've came down on my lexapro first... and when I got to 15mg I took that for 4 days, and have just added have a tablet of Zoloft. And as I build up the zoloft I'll go down on the lexapro. I think because I've been on such a high dosage for so long, this was the safer bet for me. But someone else I've spoken with just did a clean switch, and my doctor said that some people do it that way as well. Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.