Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if this falls under this forum but I need to know if anyone has a fear of swimming? When I was a kid, my cousins used to tell me that my pool had fish and even sharks... I'm pretty afraid of pools and especially oceans as a result. Anyone else experience similar phobia or get past this one?

·
Banned
1,662 Posts
Oh ya im definitely scared of swiming, im terrified of drowning. I dont think i ever been inside a pool let alone the beach!:eek:

·
Registered
582 Posts
I sort of have a phobia of bodies of water where i cant see the bottom. Also dams kind of freak me out at times. I used to have a fear of going underwater when i was younger.

Just as my therapist suggested for SA exposure therapy would probably help in this case. Slowly expose yourself to your fear/anxiety until it no longer bothers you. Maybe start by putting your toes in one day, ankles the next, shins the next. Keep increasing how far you go into the pool or ocean in steps and according to your comfort level. If it takes 3 weeks to get the water to shin level it is still progress and your are facing your fears. Try to change your thought patterns as well. Think in your head how unlikely/impossible it would be for a shark or fish to survive in a swimming pool. Eventually you can control these fears. Shark attacks in the ocean are fairly rare too, only 8 people died in California in 2008 from attacks. How many people went swimming in that year? Likely millions so the chances of being attack by a shark is like your chance of winning the lottery.

·
Starlight and moonbeams
20,920 Posts
I don't like swimming because I don't like exposing my chest. I think it looks ugly.

I've never been scared of water, though. I'm a pretty good swimmer, and like going to the beach and water parks.

2,348 Posts
I used to be scared of water. If I can safely touch the bottom I was fine. The deep end scared the heck out of me. I had an irrational fear of drowning. I still kind of do.

·
Done with SA
1,818 Posts
I've never been afraid of swimming, it's just more that I don't like to go swimming. I've hated, even as a kid, being so exposed when swimming with other people, so I've avoided it ever since I could remember.

·
SAS Member
31,286 Posts
I hate being in water where I can't see the bottom, and I hate going in water with muddy bottoms. But, I love going in the ocean though and riding the waves, so it's kind of odd.

·
non
609 Posts
Oh no, the fall equinox just passed. First summer of my life I've not gone swimming.

I love to swim. I used to not consider summer to be fully on until diving under water

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
I wouldn't mind being in a pool since the water is hopefully fairly clear (not considering my SA), but lakes and oceans scare me a lot. I have a huge phobia of sharks and deep water though.

·
Registered
56 Posts
i don't know how to swim
i automatically sink to the bottom of the pool everytime i try...
so i don't really go swimming cuz some ppl make fun of me using the fload boards
i know i suck...

·
ಠ ¿ ಠ
913 Posts
I don't much mind swimming, but the thought of there being something else in the water with me, especially in deep water where you can't see the bottom...

·
Registered
357 Posts
I used to do Swimming Club but I hated backstroke because you can't see the bottom and I have a good imagination and I think there are sharks in there. Also, because of my SA I am self consiess about my body etc.

·
Still Anxious
59 Posts
I used to be afraid of the deep end until we moved into a house where we had a pool. I can even swim across the bottom of the pool, yet I'm too scared to open my eyes under water :clap

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
I have a big fear of sharks too, not sure how I got it. I guess it's a good thing I never saw that movie "Jaws," or else I'd probably never have stepped into water again, lol.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I haven't been swimming in about three years. I'm just fine on land.

·
sa challenger
5,079 Posts
I am so unafraid of drowning, not being able to touch, scary creatures, that I have:

1. swam in the ocean too far out a few times and got called back in by the lifeguards..I was in my own happy world, and I didn't realize how far the ocean current was pulling me out.

2. jumped out of an inner tube too far from the shore in a river and was very close to being pulled away by the current

3. fallen out of a kayak in the middle of a massive lake..that was so much fun

4. capsized my canoe a few times, one time a beach lifeguard brought a motor boat out to me and I just laughed and pulled my canoe and myself in for them.
Aww, no capsizing allowed.

Looking over this list, I need to be more careful.

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
I love pools and love to swim and I love the deep end but I hate hate hate the beach, the ocean, rivers, lakes with murky bottoms, current, waves - anything that feels beyond my control. I hate seaweed, seagrass, jellyfish, the little minnows nipping at your legs, and just about everything that has to do with it... saltwater, the sticky sand that gets into everything.

I think I love pools because we used to have one when I was growing up and when my parents would start arguing there was no way to escape the sound except to jump in the water - swim to the deep end and stay there till I absolutely had to come up for air. I got to where I could stay underwater for a really long time. That or I would just swim laps till the argument was over..

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
I've never had a fear of water not even as a kid. We use to go to rivers and lakes for picnics and stuff a lot when I was younger so we were exposed to it at an early age.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts