Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been so embarrased to post this and been putting it off for a while now........here goes.

I started a new job back in May since being out of work for over a year. I started to wear 2 pairs of pants at the same time.
I know its crazyyyyyyyyyy.......I have no idea what was going through my head at the time) but the reason why I was doing it is because I went through a major depression/grieveing and lost a lot of weight and I looked sick. So I figured I would get myself healthy again/eating better while doing this. The pants would fit me really tight so I didnt think anyone would notice.

So news got around my workplace. And my coworkers believe I am homeless and I am not!!!!!!!! I havent heard it from anyyone but I can tell cause everyone looks down on my pants. I stuck it out until now. Now I am at a healthy weight and back to my normal self and have been wearing shorts, skirts etc. but they still suspect something is up with me. Now I feel it is in best interest to get another job and just start September and on brand new. Any advice?

·
insert witty comment here
6,235 Posts
I don't know enough about the situation to say what you should do.

I know from personal experience that if people have formed a certain impression they can often never change that again. Do you have a new job lined up?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I really wouldn't worry about it. It sounds to me like you are worrying about what they think, when you don't know what they are thinking at all. You can't read their minds... maybe they were just wondering why you had 2 pairs of pants on... Maybe they do think you were homeless. However, you shouldn't let what people think of you ruin your life!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You are right I am worrying about what they think. I will not let it ruin my life. I feel it may hinder my growth with the company because of their perception. I forgot to add that they first thought I just got out of jail. I know this becasue I went and got a pepesi and my coworker said to me "so where did you find the pepsi" It was quickly put to rest because everyone has to do a background screening and mine was clean of course.

I really wouldn't worry about it. It sounds to me like you are worrying about what they think, when you don't know what they are thinking at all. You can't read their minds... maybe they were just wondering why you had 2 pairs of pants on... Maybe they do think you were homeless. However, you shouldn't let what people think of you ruin your life!

·
Severed member
2,972 Posts
Well, finding a job in times like these can be tough, so it might be better to stay put. Also, you have senority(putting the pounds back on takes time, so im assuming youve been there for a while)...and not to mention that its just going to be one more job you didnt stay at. From an employers perspective, job hopping is frowned upon.

Anywho, you might try confronting people who look at you in such manner. Dont fly off the hook and chop their head off, but just explain that you know the rumor going around and its not true. Then give them a believable reason as to why the rumor got started in the first place. Your legs have constrictable blood vessels which slows blood flow making the legs feel cold, so you wore 2 pair of pants. IDK, but try to stay focused and not let this get to you.

·
Starlight and moonbeams
20,920 Posts
I agree with stating that the rumor isn't true. It's most likely that your coworkers don't know what to believe, so they're believing the lie.

Just let them know that it's not true, and that you're just anxious over being too skinny.

·
insert witty comment here
6,235 Posts
You are right I am worrying about what they think. I will not let it ruin my life. I feel it may hinder my growth with the company because of their perception. I forgot to add that they first thought I just got out of jail. I know this becasue I went and got a pepesi and my coworker said to me "so where did you find the pepsi" It was quickly put to rest because everyone has to do a background screening and mine was clean of course.
If people think stuff like jail and homelessness about you then it might be because they are a bit strange. Chances are though that you come across in a way that isn't doing you any favours. What I mean is what do you look like? Like a professional or more like someone who has got out of jail? Think about how you come across and how people might perceive you. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.