Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is what I thought before even looking through this fourm. However, I have found that many people found supplements helpful. The best part is, going the natural way is probably a lot cheaper and more healthy than going for prescriptions.

As far as diet and exercise, I simply plan on eating more (this doesn't mean gorging on fast food, but I wont avoid it either), especially meat, fish, eggs, and other foods that contain a lot of protein and fiber. My parents just bought this workout program called P90X which is like an hour a day of different workouts (the way I figure it, anything will help, but this way I don't have to design my own program). Plain and simple, I plan on bulking up. 6ft 140 lbs is a bit too light for me, and I want to be able to bench more than I weigh (almost there :p). Also, I plan on doing 30 min a day of yoga and some form of meditation to help calm me.

Supplements is where I get lost. Can people list their experiences with different supplements, or suggest anything to treat a mild case of SAD. I still haven't told my parents yet (im 16) but if taking a vitamin everyday will make me feel more stable, I don't think it will be necessary to tell them.

·
Permanently Blessed
413 Posts
supplements

I am currently taking supplements. Back in the 90's I was prescribed prozac, but since I was uninsured, I did not get a bottle due to the expense. At the time, I reasoned I could take the money and spend it instead on supplements for my powerlifting/bodybuilding goals. I reasoned that gains I made from supplements would help me "get over my funk". Of course that is before I realized I had a disorder that millions of others share...which is SA.

No doubt there are a lot of "snake oil" type supplements out there. But there are ones I believe work really well and can help you push through the new success for strength or body building purposes.

I am using BSN's NO Explode for my preworkout shake. This is a caffine/creatine stack. It is promoted as a Nitric Oxide supplement. I am skeptical of the "Nitric Oxide' theory these supplement companies market, but for me, the caffine and creatine is enough to get me charged.

For post workout, I take a protien and amino acid shake. There is no way through the course of my regular eating do I take in enough to do away with supplements. I eat too many "comfort" type of foods.

Supplements do work, but make sure it's a reputable company and the supplement has some bona fide research backing it up. IMO you can't go wrong with caffine, creatine, protein and vitamins.

Now the testosterone boosters: Those are a different story. I would like to know if these really work or not.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts