Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not JUST the Summers but every season seems to go by so fast. Even the hard/bad times go by faster these days. Why is that? Anyone else feel this way? Like there just isn't enough time to do anything. :afr

You blink and a year goes by. :eek: You wake up and a decade is gone. :eek: What's going on?? :mum:afr

·
Registered
558 Posts
I know how you feel. I have felt like that in the past. Depression had a lot to do with it. The damn anxiety and depression cloud your judgment, your time management. Blah brings back bad memories. I try to not look back though. Think about the future! :)

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
I definitely feel the same way Sillouhette. It doesn't seem two minutes since I was starting college aged 16. I can't believe that was 15 years ago, the time has just gone by so fast, and i've not really done anything in that time.

I think that's why i'm so determined to overcome my sa now, while i'm still fairly young. I'm so worried that if I don't do something about it now, another 15 years will go by in the blink of an eye and i'll have wasted over half of my life. I can't let that happen!

·
Hiding in my basement
347 Posts
I think its just getting older. When I was younger a day felt like a week and a week felt like a month. Now a week feels like it goes by in a day and I just have no time. I can't imagine what it will be like when i'm 80. Wake up, eat, fart, and go back to bed.

·
In 'da 707
4,382 Posts
I know! I can't believe it's been 4 years 4 years since 2005. Time took forever to pass when i was younger/before then. But that could have also had to do w/my crappy living situation at that time.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sometimes I look at the year and I think, WHAT???????? :eek: Where's 1999? I missed it!! :eek::mum It's NOT REALLY 2009, is it?? :eek::mum:afr Have I done everything I'm going to do? Is there anything NEW in my future? I feel think I have thought everything I am going to think. This can't be right. :afr

I had a friend, quite a bit older than me, that I met about 10 years ago or so. She said that to me once. "Have I done everything I am going to do?" Now she is gone, she passed away about 8 months ago. I didn't find out until a month after her funeral. She was right. But I know she was on WAY too many medications and had too many elective surgeries. She didn't exercise or watch what she ate. I TRIED to get her out to swim with me quite a few times but she always made some excuse why she couldn't. She wasn't that old. She shouldn't have passed away. I miss her.

Well, I did see SOMETHING a few minutes ago I haven't seen before. There is a dead branch just outside my window here. All the leaves are gone. I was just looking out there when I noticed a sort of fuzzy, glittering on the branches so I got a bit closer to see what I was seeing better. It seems a swarm of dragon-flies were covering the branches. Their wings were fluttering really fast. Then a few sparrows landed on the branch and started eating the dragon-flies. I wish I could have got a picture but any movement on my part would have disturbed what I was watching. :yes So I just watched.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
I know what you mean, Sillouhette. Time is passing so fast. I still haven't got used to the fact that we're in the year 2000-and-something now and can't believe that the 1990s are more than a decade ago already. What happened?!

·
Banned
3,567 Posts
I'll see a movie or hear a song from the early 90s maybe, and I'll have this thought that they're fairly new. I seem to have classified things from that time period as permanently new, even though they're pushing 20 years old.

Then what I do, to really make myself feel better, is start with a date from my childhood like say 1968, and think of the music or movies that were 20 years old then. Stuff from the late 40s looked ancient then, almost alien. Is that what things from 20 years ago now look like to my kids?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't know. :blank

They say, I don't know who "THEY" are but I have heard this more than once. "Time goes by fast when you are enjoying yourself". I guess because we don't want it to end but the bad times are seeming to go by just as fast lately.

When I feel really bad late in the day or in the evening about what a CRAPPY day I've had, the next morning after I get a decent amount of sleep I don't feel so bad about what happened the day before. I think what happens is our emotions get all mixed up with what happened and that weighs us down mentally. Even a short nap makes me feel better after something bad happened. Does this make any sense to anyone? Plus the fact that late in the day we are tired. Everything hits me worse when I am tired. I can't handle much when I'm tired. I just feel like falling down. :|:afr sometimes even if it's a GOOD thing, the emotional impact knocks me out too. :sus:um

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll see a movie or hear a song from the early 90s maybe, and I'll have this thought that they're fairly new. I seem to have classified things from that time period as permanently new, even though they're pushing 20 years old.

Then what I do, to really make myself feel better, is start with a date from my childhood like say 1968, and think of the music or movies that were 20 years old then. Stuff from the late 40s looked ancient then, almost alien. Is that what things from 20 years ago now look like to my kids?
Listen to radio stations geared towards younger people's music to keep yourself current. I LOOOOOVE Music, all kinds EXCEPT RAP or Heavy Metal. I didn't like it when I was younger and I especially don't like it now. It just goes against my temperment. I find too as I get older I am leaning more towards the classics. I mean like symphonies and opera, not so much opera, yet.

Keep current on pop. There is so much great stuff going on. :yes :clap A day without music is like a day you are sleeping.

·
Protector of the Den
15,034 Posts
I feel the same way. It doesn't seem like I've done much this summer. I really need to start forcing myself out of the house more

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Summer has only just started, about what 2 weeks now? Officially the middle is about August 2nd but we usually are able to get outside at the lake until the end of September, sometimes well into October. I love it then. There is no one there but me and the birds and fish and the occassional badger or small animal that happens along.

One or two days there is a cloud of Monarch Butterflies there that stop and drink on their way North. It's magical if you are there. They land on you and around you and the air is filled with them. I hope I am there this year when it happens and I have my camera with me. :clap That one experience make the whole Summer for me. :yes :boogie

·
Registered
210 Posts
Hello Sillouhette. I know what you mean about time going by really fast. I still have vivid memories of being 17. Now I'm 35 and a mother. I often wonder where things vanished to.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi MoonFire/upintheclouds. I took this picture yesterday as I was out in the sun. I just have to post it:

I remember when I thought 17 was old. :afr I MUST have been around 7.:b

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cool clouds :)

Can you remember what songs you listened to the radio, what you wore, or had for dinner on Tuesday March 11, 2003; or how you were feeling about pie or the universe at exactly 2:35pm? I think traveling through time is somewhat like wandering around a maze. We tend to forget about all the loopy paths, backtracking, & pit stops. The significant events seem closer looking back. When everything's new there's not as much looping and a day can feel longer? It's like when you're in school there's this constant barage of new things to remember and a day can feel like several months. I still remember sitting there watching the clock and it was like the second hand was slowing down, turning into a Zeno's paradox, it took an eternity to get to 2:20pm. Sometimes I feel like I'm several thousand years old. A decade or two can rush by in the blink of an eye. I often try to hide in the loops..
Beautiful post max. :yes

" If everything when it occupies an equal space is at rest, and if that which is in locomotion is always occupying such a space at any moment, the flying arrow is therefore motionless. "
~ Aristotle

In the arrow paradox, Zeno states that for motion to be occurring, an object must change the position which it occupies. He gives an example of an arrow in flight. He states that in any one instant of time, for the arrow to be moving it must either move to where it is, or it must move to where it is not. It cannot move to where it is not, because this is a single instant, and it cannot move to where it is because it is already there. In other words, in any instant of time there is no motion occurring, because an instant is a snapshot. Therefore, if it cannot move in a single instant it cannot move in any instant, making any motion impossible.

·
Registered
371 Posts
The problem is that we are caught in our everyday routine!

The amount of new experiences made, regulate how we experience time.
The less we experience and learn, the shorter we conceive that time in a retrospective view.

Time also seems to fly because the older we get the more do we experience the time going by in relation to our age.
For a ten-year-old a year is a very long time: one tenth of his life.
For a forty-year-old a year is only one-fortieth of his life.

Even though SA makes it very difficult for most of us, we should try to organize our life as varied as possible.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have heard a couple definitions of "Time". I think Einstien said it was a series of events, but that caused much controversy. But I could be wrong about who said it. The other one, which is kind of funny, is "That which a clock indicates".

I think he, Einstien, studied speed and time. He also said that the faster you go the more time slows down. I understood this ONCE but it's meaning seems to elude me most of the time.:| Has something to do with travelling at the speed of light.

·
SAS's Chief Meteorologist
7,539 Posts
Has something to do with travelling at the speed of light.

He said that as you approach the speed of light, your mass approaches infinity. So slow down if you don't want to gain weight.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts