Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now I am taking a summer class with a total of 12 students (including me) in it. This class size makes my social anxiety seem worse. I think its because I can't blend in the background. In a class of 30 (my average size), I do fine it because I can get away without participating. This class doesn't give me that choice. I just dread going to that class every day. It doesn't help either that its a English Composition class. I hate writing, and classmates are reviewing my papers.

Can't get much worse than this :(

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm in the same situation. My class only has nine people in it and I nearly went into a panic last class at the prospect of being called upon. Luckily he didn't. Sorry... I don't have any advice for you, but plenty of sympathy!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats ok you don't have advice. I'm dreading the class tomorrow. We are having some group dicussion and I know I'll probably get called on. Who knows, maybe this class will help me get over my SA.

·
Registered
47 Posts
How did your class go?

My teacher told me to move closer to the front so that everyone wasn't spread out, which was a bit nerve-wracking since he then engaged me in a little back-and-forth. Wasn't horrible, wasn't great. He talks a lot, which lessens the pressure of trying to figure out what to say.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its going ok. I ended up doing the same thing I always have. At the beginning, I try to be outgoing. Then usually something happens that gets my SA to be bad. Now I have basically given up on trying to volunteer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts