Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Sugar!

2K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  Sloppy Joe 
#1 ·
I heard from a few different sources that cutting out sugar can really alleviate anxiety, and I'd like to try it. It sounds really tough though. I switched over to whole grains a while ago, but that wasn't too hard. Sugar though - it's in everything! And there's no really good substitute. Maple syrup & honey - wouldn't that be just as bad? I know stevia's supposed to work but I can't bake with it, it just tastes wrong.

Also, does no sugar mean absolutely no sugar? Or is a little bit OK?

Does anyone have sites/books I can read to help me out? I just don't know how to get started. I'm not willing to eat salad all day.

#3 ·
Any cookbook for candida will be sugar free. I checked some out at the library a while back, don't remember the titles but they're probably easy to find if you search for candida cookbook or something like that.

You're right, sugar is in just about everything. It's disgusting because it's so harmful to the body yet so socially acceptable.

#5 ·
Since halving my Paxil due to timing in seeing a new doctor, I noticed that the caffeine I drank to once stay awake was WAY too much. I cut the caffeine out a bit more than the sugar intake.

#6 ·
Awwww honey honey.

You are my candy girl, and you got me wantin you....

honey honey, sugar sugar...

ba da da da ba-da.....

Anyone else think of this when they read the thread title? Anyone? No?

#7 ·
Cut sugar intake to a small amount. I cannot even finish a can of Coke anymore without getting sick from the sugar count. I started drinking water whenever I wanted something to drink. After a few days, you lose a lot of the need to have to eat/drink anything with sugar. It sucks at first, but nothing worthwhile comes easy.

#9 ·
I heard from a few different sources that cutting out sugar can really alleviate anxiety, and I'd like to try it. It sounds really tough though. I switched over to whole grains a while ago, but that wasn't too hard. Sugar though - it's in everything! And there's no really good substitute. Maple syrup & honey - wouldn't that be just as bad? I know stevia's supposed to work but I can't bake with it, it just tastes wrong.

Also, does no sugar mean absolutely no sugar? Or is a little bit OK?

Does anyone have sites/books I can read to help me out? I just don't know how to get started. I'm not willing to eat salad all day.
Splenda works really well for baking. I use it all the time, and even my sugar-loving kids don't know the difference.

#10 ·
You know sometimes I wonder if cutting sugar really does help anxiety or if it's just all in the mind. For example I used to eat sugar and not worry about it, then when I found out that it can affect anxiety, I started noticing how it affected me physically and it made me anxious!

In my experience it can make the physical sensations of panic worse, that sudden rush you get when anxiety suddenly hits.

#11 ·
Re splenda: hate to be the bearer of bad news, but artificial sweeteners are just as bad for you as sugar, just in a different way. Some of them are actually petroleum byproducts, for one thing. The other thing is that although they don't have the calories of sugar, they trick your brain receptors into thinking the body's receiving sugar, so they can spike your insulin just the same, thus setting your body up to crave more sweetness.

Sorry. :(

#12 ·
hi everyone, i just wanted to say that you are so right, artificial sweetners are very bad for your health and end up making you gain weight in the long run. i have problems with sugar cravings too and use to use lots of sugar still do sometimes, but the best non sugar sugar i have found that is healthy for you is xylitol. i love it, it tastes pretty good and you can bake with it too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.