Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I truly believe refined sugar is the culprit lurking behind most of our problems. Eating refined sugar gives sudden peaks and troughs to the amount of glucose in your blood with symptoms including anxiety,depression,insomnia,poor concentration,forgetfulness,excessive sweating(especially during the night),digestive disturbance. Refined sugar and carbohydrates like white bread,pasta and rice and the majority of processed/ fast foods are low in nutrients and will use up the feel good B vitamins you have trying to convert it into energy. Refined sugar will also divert the supply of chromium in your body which stabilises mood. I'm in the midst of a sugar withdrawal(4 days and counting) and although I feel rough(expected when going cold turkey) I also feel a lot brighter,sharper and my anxiety has considerably lessened. I'm basically eating brown foods such as whole grains,beans,potatoes and root vegetables. Green foods like broccoli,peas,spinach,kale etc and yellow food such as squash,peppers etc. Basically a diet that is high in fibre. I'm also eating lots of fish and chicken and laying off the red meat. Baked potatoes are king! I'd be interested to hear what other SA sufferers diet generally consist of and wether they too are consuming too much refined sugar.

·
Master of my domain
1,339 Posts
Yeah I'm pretty certain I've been consuming too much sugar. You may very well be on to something here - it makes sense it could increase anxiety, cause problems with your sleep and so on.

Just recently (actually yesterday) I decided to change my diet radically because I have been suspecting for some time now I have gluten or lactose intolerance. I never had it in the past but lately I feel so bloated after eating some things like for instance white bread and have to go the bathroom a lot more. And after every large meal I get heart arrhytmias or mild tachycardia which I never used to in the past but read on several sites it can be a symptom of gluten intolerance. Intolerances to things or allergies are generally known to be able to cause anxiety and depression so I really hope I will notice some difference.

I too now eat a lot of vegetables, fruit, meat that is as unprocessed as possible and the same with fish. And I replaced white bread with brown high in fibre and gluten free, same with milk as I switched to lactose free one.

·
Banned
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I eat chicken and vegetables usually in some kind of stew. Most of my protein is from chicken and beans, most of my fats are from olive oil, and most of my carbs are from sweet potatoes. I don't have a lot of variety in my diet.
Interesting. Food for thought you might say.:) thanks

·
Banned
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I'm pretty certain I've been consuming too much sugar. You may very well be on to something here - it makes sense it could increase anxiety, cause problems with your sleep and so on.

Just recently (actually yesterday) I decided to change my diet radically because I have been suspecting for some time now I have gluten or lactose intolerance. I never had it in the past but lately I feel so bloated after eating some things like for instance white bread and have to go the bathroom a lot more. And after every large meal I get heart arrhytmias or mild tachycardia which I never used to in the past but read on several sites it can be a symptom of gluten intolerance. Intolerances to things or allergies are generally known to be able to cause anxiety and depression so I really hope I will notice some difference.

I too now eat a lot of vegetables, fruit, meat that is as unprocessed as possible and the same with fish. And I replaced white bread with brown high in fibre and gluten free, same with milk as I switched to lactose free one.
Let me know how you're feeling in a few days time if that's ok. Regards,Simon.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I was on the ketogenic diet, where I ate <30g carbs per day, for months, and I didn't notice any difference. I've been on all kinds of other diets (paleo, counting calories, raw, vegan) and never noticed a difference. I normally eat no refined or processed foods whatsoever. But, there have been times where I'd eat nothing but pop-tarts, Ben and Jerry's, and Chinese and I didn't feel any worse.

·
Banned
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was on the ketogenic diet, where I ate <30g carbs per day, for months, and I didn't notice any difference. I've been on all kinds of other diets (paleo, counting calories, raw, vegan) and never noticed a difference. I normally eat no refined or processed foods whatsoever. But, there have been times where I'd eat nothing but pop-tarts, Ben and Jerry's, and Chinese and I didn't feel any worse.
What's a ketogenic diet? Is it that high fat low carb diet?

·
Stoicism / ACT / CFT
11,901 Posts
Tried keto, paleo, high sugar, low sugar, low gi, intermittent fasting. Nothing stood out in terms of efficacy for anxiety issues.

My typical diet atm (as I am losing weight) is things like steak, chicken, potato, sausages, burgers, peas, beans, cabbage, a variety of fruits, sliced deli meats, greek yoghurt, honey. I occasionally eat chocolate / crisps, and have a fair bit of caffeine (which boost my mood with no negative anxiety effects). The only thing I tend to actively avoid are lots of lactose (give me bad guts) and wheat (seems to make me hungrier).

This diet seems to be as good as anything for me. Occasionally I have VERY high sugar days (maybe once every 2 or 3 weeks) this has no effect on my anxiety levels or mood that I have noticed.

It isn't inconceivable however that sugar / diet might be a worsening factor for some people, but it certainly isn't for me and I would be surprised if it were for the majority of people with mental health probs.

·
Stoicism / ACT / CFT
11,901 Posts
Well its worth trying anything you can try easily for sure :)

My personal theory about anxiety (and depression) there might be multiple potential causes. I think of it like a symptom, such as losing hair. There can be lots of reasons why hair falls out, I don't think its unreasonable to suggest the same applies to anxiety. Since there isn't a universally effective treatment it seems to suggest either different causes are at work in different people, or different people have varying resistances to the medications.

So I think it is also possible something like modifying diet certainly might help some folks. Worst case though, you try cutting sugar and become healthier as a result :D, best case it has some effect on anxiety.

·
Registered
101 Posts
What's a ketogenic diet? Is it that high fat low carb diet?
Yeah, but specifically it's such low carbs that your body switches over to using "ketones" rather than glucose as its main cellular fuel. I believe, in such a state, only the brain continues using glucose.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts