Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
5,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Substance abuse is the same as the mental disorders I have, (tmi) although you can say I don't overindulge and become dependent on drugs and alcohol, I do in fact overindulge and am dependent on these behaviors. Maybe only (tmi) will make sense in this case as they all are known as "impulse control disorders", yes the impulse is also inclusive in those with substance abuse. So, in a way, it's the same kind of addiction, maybe even the same brain locations! Amazing research! Does anyone even care about this as much as I do? I should really go into this field, it needs to be known more. It's really important.

Some already suffering with a list of mental disorders also suffer with substance abuse maybe just using the substance abuse to lessen a specific mental disorder. All in all though, both are a comorbidity and both are "impulse control disorders".

Overindulgence in both behaviors lead to pleasure, the brain loves pleasure, the brain will go as far as disabling our lives to get that pleasure. I think the only problem here is our own brain's inability to self control its impulses and thus the blame gets thrown at us that we can't control our impulses. Maybe we just have different DNA in the brain, some brains can control themselves and some can't. Even if they can control themselves, alcohol and drugs are always available and mental disorders might always develop.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts