Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Simon Says...
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever experience this... because I get it quite a lot...

Basically, I don't really tend to stutter in general, though I do kind of mess my words up sometimes mid-sentence which I also blame on stress/tension/anxiety/fear of messing up. Mostly though, it's at the start of what I'm saying.

i.e. If there's a dead silence and I'm starting a conversation myself, or if I was to walk into a... shop or what have you and ask for something.

It's like a big... build-up inside my head along the lines of "don't-****-up, don't-****-up, don't-****-up..." that gives me a kind of tension in my head in a sense like a mental block and I start to obsess over the exactly beginning of what I'm going to say and saying it right and not slurring my words and everything like that...

I'm not really thinking these things so much... it's just happening more in the sense that it's what I'm feeling as I concentrate on picking the "right" time to open and the "right" way to do it.
And indeed... plenty of times... I do **** up what I'm going to say. I'll stutter or maybe I'll say it too quickly or somehow I'll mess it up.

It's important to note that this happens even with my family sometimes who I'm perfectly comfortable with. It's less the people and more the situation... more having to take the initiative and being afraid to make a mistake and as such... being more likely to make a mistake.

Now even if I was outside with a stranger... say... at a doctor or something, while of course I'd probably be a bit anxious and uncomfortable in general, this doesn't really happen so much when somebody else starts things off and asks ME something that I have to merely RESPOND to. Granted, I might still mess something up but I'm sure I do it with much less regularity. It's something about the pressure of having the freedom to choose when to start speaking and having all the time in the world to think of what to say and the time to worry about it all.
Like how things like interviews and various appointments are often so much easier when you just go straight in without having time to wait and think.

Anyone else get that specific sort of thing quite a bit?

·
Registered
50 Posts
If I stutter it's usually on the first word of a sentence. It's like there's an odd lockdown going on. It's happened on the phone sometimes when calling people.

·
Banned
2,888 Posts
I usually stutter if I'm talking to a new person, to someone I really like, or in a public speech I have to do.. My face gets bright red and I end up choking on my words and stuttering really badly and then I usually end up shaking and crying... oh gosh it's embarrassing.
I hate when I stutter.:c

1 - 3 of 3 Posts