Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Making No Apologies
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I should be happy that the ppl I come in contact consider me somewhat normal (this doesnt last long, lol) and assume that I can get into a relationship. This isnt the case and I get some strange reactions when they find out Im single. It has alot to do with why I dont tell too many ppl that I have SA until I cant continue to do the whole song and dance I do to make friends. This isnt a rant, just kind of humorous/a little annoying, and I wanted to see if anybody goes through the same thing :):

So, how are you 24 and scared to talk to boys? Thats stupid...

So are you a lesbian?

But are you sure youre not a lesbian cuz I see that you dont wear dresses (cuz everyone knows only lesbians wear pants all the time, sigh, idiots)

But youre pretty, thats so stupid that no one asks you out, maybe if you wear more low cut tops :no

Thats weird, I always thought you were kind of ****ty (no words)

Youre lying....

But you talk ok to me, why cant you talk to guys?

You know what, you should just start making out with guys in clubs, that will get you over this....

Maybe if you werent so quiet (hello?!?!?!)

:blank

And so on. Some of these come from family members, most come from coworkers, and a couple come from one friend in particular.

Can anyone relate?

·
Retired Enforcer
19,113 Posts
"When are you gonna find a nice girl and settle down?"

Hello? I'm almost 49 and single! I'm gay!

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
Wow, no offense, but sometimes friends say the dumbest things. No, making out with people in clubs will not get you a boyfriend faster than any other method. That is when you just stop taking comments from your friends! Instead of dressing to impress, perhaps women can approach more and see what happens? At least your trying and I give kudos for any woman who does so...

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
haha some of these are pretty funny.
I used to get the "are you gay?" one. (No, I'm shy you moron.)
"You don't seem gay." (Really? Gee thanks. How does a gay man appear to you?)
:lol what amazes me is how ignorant people are that their statements might be interpreted as slightly offensive or intrusive.

·
SAS Member
31,298 Posts
I don't like it when people who don't know me say those things. Maybe I only been single for a couple weeks and want time off so why is that a bad thing? Of course, that's not the case, but still.

·
MayTheForceBeWithYou
19,559 Posts
i have heard;

"what is a good looking guy like you being single for"

"why are you single?" pause "your such an intelligent young guy, im sure you some girl would be lucky to have you for a boyfriend"

·
Magnanimous carcinoma
6,888 Posts
No one ever asks if I'm single, I guess they just automatically assume...
I mean, it really isn't surprising that a "catch" such as myself is completely unattached.
I get asked if I'm a lesbian fairly regularly, though.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I think I've gotten the "Why are you single?" and the "Why can't you talk to guys? You can talk to me just fine" ones as well as this little charm,

"If you don't have a boyfriend, then what do you have?"

All I thought in my head was, 'HUH? What kind of question is that? Are you assuming I'm gay?'

That person didn't matter to me anyway.

Some of these are rude! People just don't understand! And no kissing some random person at a club will not automatically make them you're boyfriend/girlfriend cuz it sure didn't happen to me (it was nice kissing them for a time lol)

·
Registered
761 Posts
The last time someone found out that I'm single she was shocked and apologized at this tragedy... I told her that oh, it's okay though! I don't want a boyfriend right now. Just don't want to deal with it (which is true). Then she tried to set me up with someone.

But yeah, prior to my ex, my extended family used to automatically assume that I was a lesbian. But for some reason, they only referred to him as my "friend"... so maybe I'm still a lesbian to them.

·
Registered
290 Posts
most people are insecure and think having someone will complete you as a person. someone who can be happy alone is a much more rounded person than someone who always needs to have a significant other.
and those comments lol crazy..... some people should keep their mouth closed.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Isn't it just [email protected] annoying when you're talking to a girl, and she says "I don't believe, a good looking / smart guy like you is single" - yet she herself is unavailable !

Yea, well if you don't plan on being the one to correct my singleness, then leave me be and stop asking questions !

1 - 12 of 12 Posts