Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I feel like a complete idiot asking this. Bear with me here, if you will...

I plan on joining a gym soon, to try and lose some weight the 'healthy' way. As warned, this is stupid -- what DO people wear to gyms?!

Yes, its clear I've never been to one. I'm deathly afraid of walking in and wearing something that looks stupid. I'll feel idiotic enough using wipes to wipe down the chairs before sitting on them (Just because I saw that one thing on Maury, very nasty. Worse then the average gas station bathroom, believe it or not).

So, now I've fully made an idiot out of myself, thats all.

Thanks!

·
Registered
270 Posts
I usually just wear some shorts and a t-shirt. You could look online, and type in active wear. You will probably be able to find some good workout clothes.

·
Registered
57 Posts
That's not a stupid question. I have this fear of looking out of place at the gym, too. That's why I've never been to one, either.

I would say to wear something comfortable, and that you feel comfortable in. I would never wear shorts either, or spandex or whatever, because I would just be too self conscious.

·
Registered
497 Posts
You don't have to bring wipes. They have towels and spray bottles of disinfectant.

I wouldn't know what to wear at a hip or trendy gym. I just wear shorts/warmups and tshirts/sweatshirts. Hell, I only wear shoes because they told me I culdn't lift in flip-flops.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Most people aren't going to give you a second look. People go to gyms with some fitness goal in mind and they're generally NOT interested in making friends, so they just don't care about others. It's a good environment for SAers. :)

I've seen people wear anything & everything to the gym. Some wear spandex and some even wear coats and Carhartt pants. Yesterday I saw this big buff guy lifting weights and he was wearing a down vest. A lot of people wear hooded sweat shirts, surprisingly.

I just wear a t-shirt (not oversized) and pajama bottoms and nobody ever looks at me funny. :lol And yes there's disinfectant spray and little hand towels everywhere, you can just pick the towels up and carry them with you as you work out-- they usually have them in several locations (and EVERYONE uses them, so don't feel awkward) and you can throw them in a dirty towel bin when you're done. So don't bring wipes-- that would look strange!

·
Registered
994 Posts
It's a very good question................

I wear sweats, sweatshirt, or T-shirt with a sports bra.........My tennies...............When it comes to working out, I'm not very fashion oriented... When I go to the gym, I'm there to workout one hundred percent, I'm stripped of cosmetics, I wear nada.

·
Registered
81 Posts
If you're really worried, go to the gym you are thinking about joining at about 6.00pm, Mon-Fri. That's a busy time in most. They'll give you a quick tour and you can see what people are wearing and how little people actually interact with/look at each other.

(I don't go to a gym anymore because I'm freaked out that people look at me but that's my own SA paranioa)

·
Registered
934 Posts
I just wear workout shorts and a t shirt. Don't worry about people watching you, it's very rare that someone would try to strike up a conversation with you. In the last several months that I've been going to gym regularly, only once have someone tried to talk to me.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Wrennie said:
(I don't go to a gym anymore because I'm freaked out that people look at me but that's my own SA paranioa)
Same, which is why I'm saving up to buy a treadmill (and trying to convince my parents to clear out part of the garage for me to store it. I'd put it in my room, but I'm on the second floor).

When I was a gym member, I just wore a white/dark tshirt and black sweat pants. I prefer white/dark tshirts and black pants cuz it makes sweat less noticeable.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts