Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just read a post in another thread about the efficiency of studying with another person. I'm curious, how efficient is this really? I've always studied by myself, but failed at that miserably. Maybe I should start studying with somebody....although to me making friends in class is harder than scoring a perfect score on a exam.

Basically, I wanted to know your guys' input on comparisons of studying efficiency between yourself and with a partner.

·
Banned
2,768 Posts
never really tried it seriously, but I could never concentrate enough to study with someone else.

The only subject I think it's good for is math. but even then I'll end up acting like I understand something I dont understand. If someone explains something twice, theres no way i'd ask a third time about it

Other subjects are more about remembering stuff which i find useless with other people

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've always found it incredibly distracting to study with another person. But if you have a problem with staying seated when studying, then it might help. Studying with a bunch of friends tends to be distracting but you might want to try studying at the school library around people you don't know too well.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I just read a post in another thread about the efficiency of studying with another person. I'm curious, how efficient is this really? I've always studied by myself, but failed at that miserably. Maybe I should start studying with somebody....although to me making friends in class is harder than scoring a perfect score on a exam.

Basically, I wanted to know your guys' input on comparisons of studying efficiency between yourself and with a partner.
I went to a study group for organic chemistry once and liked it a lot. Someone in the class sent an email to the entire class about forming a study group. I replied and went to the first session. There were about 8 people. It wasn't as boring as studying it myself and I understood the material so much better. But for some reason I couldn't bring myself to go back to the study group for a second time.

·
Suit up!
390 Posts
I hate studying with other people. The only way it is helpful to me is if I've already completely studied by myself and just need a way to review, but that usually doesn't happen because I procrastinate so much. I also find it really difficult because everyone thinks it different ways and one person's thinking method might confuse how I understand something.

·
Too School for Cool
6,857 Posts
It does not help me. I am way more efficient on my own.

It usually turns into some sort of tutoring session, with one person understanding way more material than the other. For that person, it turns into a waste of time.

·
resident classicist
4,408 Posts
I'll tutor people. Usually it's a boy I want to get with (it's a really good excuse to try to get to know someone better outside of class). I'll tutor friends also.

But just studying with someone never really works for me. I'm a complete perfectionist, and I hate to have people see that I don't comprehend something. Makes me feel like a failure.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I've tried studying with other people, but it just doesn't work for me. I memorize things better when I study alone, so I recall them easier during tests and quizzes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.