Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm starting to come to the conclusion that I may never land a decent full time position at the rate I'm going. With each passing day I become even less disirable to employers due to the widening unemployment gap. It's been almost 2 years since graduating college, and even longer since my last job (2001).

The problem now is that I'm thinking I just need to get a survival job for right now to get something new on my resume. But I have no car. And without a job, I have no way to buy a car. So I'm stuck. And even if I do get a minimum wage temp job....that is quite a gamble to go out and buy a car, and then lose my job within a couple months and then be stuck with a car I cant pay for.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I don't understand how yoy can be onemployed for so long. Why don't you start somewhere. Get a job close to home, save up for a car, then look for a better job?

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Could you take the bus to work if you found employment? It just seems cheaper with the gas situation.

·
Registered
154,233 Posts
Futures,

I was in the same situation that you are in. I was unemployed for two years, ending June 2004 and my last job was also 2001.

I wouldn't be too ashamed about getting a temporary job to tide you over. Things were just starting to get better and then the gas prices went sky high. :stu

As for the car, you can get a decent used car that won't cost you am arm and a leg. You can also make a payment plan to break up the spending. Or if you live in an urban area, follow SAGirl's advice and take the bus.

·
Registered
115 Posts
talvalin said:
I don't understand how yoy can be onemployed for so long.
Some people can't understand how someone can be afraid of people, but it happens.

Futures, maybe try a temp agency or even one of those dreaded call center jobs where they will hire anyone. I know a few temp agencies in my town provide transportation to and from job sites (factory work). You just have to get over the embarrassment of being picked up in the McDonald's parking lot, lol!!!

The holidays are drawing closer, so maybe try a mall job. Most cities have buses that run frequently to the mall.

I have been out of work for 2.5 years and hopefully something will come up for me soon. I can certainly sympathize with your situation. But hey, people kill people, go to prison, come out and are able to get jobs. WE WILL get back on our feet!

·
Registered
994 Posts
Futures, temp agency's are a great place to get back in the swing of things..........

Also.............Many agency's offer long term employment, not temp at all, a lot of employers use them simply because it's cheaper than adding a new employee to the payroll.
You could also ask for a company that is looking to direct hire after the temp contract is up.
They may have something close to your home, right on the bus line......It doesn't hurt to try, just to get back in the swing.

·
840 Posts
The problem now is that I'm thinking I just need to get a survival job for right now to get something new on my resume. But I have no car. And without a job, I have no way to buy a car. So I'm stuck.
Same here. I've never had a job in my life, mostly because I never had a car of my own to get there. And where I live, if you don't have a car, you're sunk.

There isn't anything I can do to change the situation, so I try not to let it bother me too much.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I don't understand how yoy can be onemployed for so long.
Maybe he meant and still have a place to live, food to eat, you know.

I could EASILY stay unemployed if it weren't for the damn bills.

·
Registered
120 Posts
GURLWONDER said:
I know a few temp agencies in my town provide transportation to and from job sites (factory work). You just have to get over the embarrassment of being picked up in the McDonald's parking lot, lol!!!.
There are temp agencies here that do that, too. I had a temp job at a factory once and they had a van that would come pick the workers up all over the city and take us way out to the industrial park in the 'burbs. Not a bad deal....and it's FREE!

Temp agencies are a great way to go if you're in a bind. I don't know what size city you live in, but I know here in Milwaukee there is absolutely NO WAY a person can go jobless very long if they really need to work. There is always temp work available. And most of it is great for SA'ers 'cause it's mostly factory work and data entry and stuff like that. Working in a factory may not be exactly glamorous, lol, but it's easy and you don't have to interact much with other people. And it pays above minimal wage. It will get you through a rough spot until you can find what you are really looking for. Also, agencies are really cool usually if you need to take a day off here and there for job interviews or whatever. My husband moved here from another country and got a temp job in a factory to keep him busy until he found a "real job." It worked out great for him, and I've had good experiences with temp jobs, too.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm finding myself in a similar cycle.

I graduated in May and got my license last month, but I have not had a paying job in over three years. Of course I could use the excuse of being a full-time student during most of that time, but the truth is that I did try to find work during that time but couldn't. I couldn't even get into the unpaid internships I applied to. The only 'work' I did during that time was volunteered.

For the past few months I feel my life is stuck on neutral while idling at home. I've been sending out resumes but I find it hard to muster up confidence for interviews, knowing that my lack of work experience is hurting my chances. I applied at a temp agency for a clerical position but they rejected me for being overqualified. I'm really not sure what to do at this point, as my student loans start becoming due this month.

·
Registered
24 Posts
John_K said:
For the past few months I feel my life is stuck on neutral while idling at home. I've been sending out resumes but I find it hard to muster up confidence for interviews, knowing that my lack of work experience is hurting my chances. I applied at a temp agency for a clerical position but they rejected me for being overqualified. I'm really not sure what to do at this point, as my student loans start becoming due this month.
Same here, although the temp agency didn't actually reject me...they just didn't have any work.

About the loans, have you looked into getting them deferred? I didn't really want to do that (since I would really like to start paying mine off), but it was the only option I had. I don't know what kinds of loans you have, but this might work for you as well. :stu

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've thought about it. I have Direct Loans, and I know you can get them deferred with the fed govt, but I just consolidated with Sallie Mae and I'm not sure if I can do it with them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts