Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm graduating in May from university and more nervous than looking forward to it. Looking for jobs has been really terrible. Basically I don't feel qualified to do anything. I don't know if I should stay in school for another year to develop myself more or look at other options. I'll provide a little background first.

Went to school for laboratory sciences for 4 years thinking that my future would involve getting certified and working in a lab. The more I got into it, the more miserable I became. I switched my major into combining the science courses I have taken with English classes to pursue some sort of career in science/medical/technical writing. However, it seems that all of the places I look at want years and years and advanced degrees under your belt.

I'm at a loss. I had a telephone interview for a paid internship at the end of this past March and haven't heard anything back yet. Assuming they even think I'm qualified to intern there at all (it's at a software company as a technical writer). Said they would start getting back to people around mid-April and I'm starting to feel nervous about that.

I really feel like I've wasted time and money; that I should've pursued a better path a long time ago. I'm learning the hard lessons know. Overall, not really sure what other options I should pursue. It would be really helpful if anyone has suggestions or comments to shed some light on this; maybe similar experiences or switching majors late or general job search stress?

·
Registered
125 Posts
I've been there too. I also didn't know how I could apply my skills to jobs I was applying for. One thing I remember is that one of my professors said that there are statistics that show an average person changes career about 7 times in a lifetime. Don't worry if you don't find something in your field. I've studied marketing but I am doing something completely different. I don't know why I even did marketing.

Bottom line, just keep doing internships or volunteer work to motivate yourself during job search. Don't stay idle and keep your spirits up. The best way to get through interviews is with high spirits.

I also know the feeling of how you want to test your skills but you are afraid of failing. Don't forget failures are part of life and my most important lessons I have learnt was from my failures. Don't ever be scared of trying. Reading posts like yours and my own experiences have inspired me to work on a new project. If it works out maybe lot of people like us will have somewhat of an easier time :).

·
Jet-setting Space Cadet
52 Posts
I work in the biotech industry as a lab tech / research associate. I'm actually in-between jobs, but my last job was a highly intense, highly skilled and dangerous research position at a prestigious company. Right now my job search is really fruitful, and I have several interviews set up in the next few weeks.

I just get anxious that I'm not qualified for these positions. I do have a great professional background but I feel rusty, and I feel like I look better on paper. I don't know... with the sciences, switching from one lab job to another generally involves learning a **** ton of new procedures, and that stresses me out. So you're not alone in feeling like you're not qualified. The truth is, if they hire you you'll get a feel for the job and its requirements. Likely you'll become more comfortable, but if not - just quit! Find something more fitting. It doesn't always have to reflect on you. If you don't like the work or it simply doesn't fit your skill set, hold out for something better.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I work in the biotech industry as a lab tech / research associate. I'm actually in-between jobs, but my last job was a highly intense, highly skilled and dangerous research position at a prestigious company. Right now my job search is really fruitful, and I have several interviews set up in the next few weeks.

I just get anxious that I'm not qualified for these positions. I do have a great professional background but I feel rusty, and I feel like I look better on paper. I don't know... with the sciences, switching from one lab job to another generally involves learning a **** ton of new procedures, and that stresses me out. So you're not alone in feeling like you're not qualified. The truth is, if they hire you you'll get a feel for the job and its requirements. Likely you'll become more comfortable, but if not - just quit! Find something more fitting. It doesn't always have to reflect on you. If you don't like the work or it simply doesn't fit your skill set, hold out for something better.
I couldn't agree more. It's all about just taking the first step to reach the top.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The job market sucks for new grads. Mostly because it costs you so much money but yet you don't have thee experience they're looking for.... Its like society is setting young people up to fail. Welcome to life ...here, start out $25000++ in debt, good luck...

My suggestion is to not stay in school to get more qualifications. Get out in he he workforce SOMeWHERe build skills, of any kind to make that resume appear stronger. It's all about verbiage and then once you get an interview it's about faking it until you make it!!!

·
Banned
8,418 Posts
in 1998

I went for the flyers spread about before exams

A lot of people went on holiday for years. I got grinding / grafting straight away on an apprenticeship. I felt there was less possible available and regretted no learning Japanese

1 - 6 of 6 Posts