Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't been to a movie in over a year. I don't like the eye strain on such a big screen and I tend to feel inexplicably down in the dumps and even sometimes catch a cold or flu. Anyway, I went with my girlfriend and I wasn't thinking about all the people in the theater as threatening. I can swear up and down that I wasn't thinking irrational thoughts about the possibility that someone would confront me which could lead to a humiliating moment. I sat there and just sweated and sweated (palms, feet, groin). Why is this? I've been extensively working on CBT to help me with irrational thinking and I have improved dramatically. But, my brain still signals the fight or flight response with a vengeance since I've been able to rationalize my thinking. Will this response go away in time as long as I try to not let the socializing aspect bother me? I know the amgdala can store memories so maybe once it recieves its stimulus (a lot of people in close proximity) it automatically turns on the fight or flight response. Once that happens it is seemingly impossible to calm myself down. What the hell do I do, because the weating is getting worse and I don't want to start a job with my backside being soaked. Nuero or bio feedback seems to be promising with harnessing this type of reaction but I will be hard pressed to pay for it since I am unemployed and have no insurance. This had better stop or else its even more stress that I will have to carry around in the world when I am already dealing with so many extra emotional SA stressors. Isn't life wonderful?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Did you go just once? Maybe it is a case of just repeating regularly to reduce the anxiety. I've read feel the fear and do it anyway and she suggests that the first time you do something new and move out of your comfort zone you will be really nervous but it will reduce with practice (I'd say particularly if you are doing challenging thoughts as well).
Well done on going for the first time in a year.

·
Banned
1,376 Posts
crowd phobias are common, take valium and a beta blocker, get a seat on the end of a row and concentrate on the movie and not yourself

·
Banned
497 Posts
I haven't been to a movie in over a year. I don't like the eye strain on such a big screen and I tend to feel inexplicably down in the dumps and even sometimes catch a cold or flu. Anyway, I went with my girlfriend and I wasn't thinking about all the people in the theater as threatening. I can swear up and down that I wasn't thinking irrational thoughts about the possibility that someone would confront me which could lead to a humiliating moment. I sat there and just sweated and sweated (palms, feet, groin). Why is this? I've been extensively working on CBT to help me with irrational thinking and I have improved dramatically. But, my brain still signals the fight or flight response with a vengeance since I've been able to rationalize my thinking. Will this response go away in time as long as I try to not let the socializing aspect bother me? I know the amgdala can store memories so maybe once it recieves its stimulus (a lot of people in close proximity) it automatically turns on the fight or flight response. Once that happens it is seemingly impossible to calm myself down. What the hell do I do, because the weating is getting worse and I don't want to start a job with my backside being soaked. Nuero or bio feedback seems to be promising with harnessing this type of reaction but I will be hard pressed to pay for it since I am unemployed and have no insurance. This had better stop or else its even more stress that I will have to carry around in the world when I am already dealing with so many extra emotional SA stressors. Isn't life wonderful?
here is the thing - cbt works on a concious level .

cbt can work but it take a lot of time and persistence. basically it works byconciosly changing your thoughts and the more you repeat this eventually it will become automatic and unconcious

when you are in a situation what happens isthere is millions of bits of info coing in through he 5 senses from that situation. the unconious mind takes it all inand filters it through your moemories and beleifs , and the end result ends up in the concious mid

now if you have certain memories and beleifs int he uncocnious then what will happen is that you will beleft with negative thoughts, and images int he concious mind and these will put you in an anxious state

you can do all the cbt in the world but if your unconcious mind i still filtering events in an anxious way then you ill always have a battle on your hands

thebest thing to do is fix tings on the unconcious level , so that when you conciously do cbt it will work better

if you fix the memories an beleifs then when your mind filters a event it will not filter it though an anxious mindset therefore you wont end up in an anxious state

nlp an hypnosis are the best things for this. timeline therapy will deal with the memoires and release the negative emotions attached to them, and nlp and hypnosis can change your unconcious beleifs

·
Banned
133 Posts
Here's some good news: biofeedback is not nearly as expensive as you thought. If you look up "biofeedback devices" on Amazon.com, some adequate ones cost around $125.

The other good news to keep in mind is that this response is probably to be expected, as you haven't been to a movie in a year. Doing something for the first time, a long time after having quit when it wasn't going well, is going to be stressful no matter what, and it sounds like this was quite stressful for you. My advice is that you will be fine in time if you keep doing the work that you need to do to reduce your anxiety, which sounds like it might include biofeedback and systematic desensitization (gradually taking on parts of the stressful situation until you finally master it) and CBT. It might take a few years of hard work before you can sit and do it completely stress-free (this is what happened in my case with some tough situations). So, I would just stay calm and cool, and know that you will be fine if you keep working at it. Good luck and be sure to ask questions if you have any!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts